Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Sam,

Did you watch any of the Grammys? They had a live performance from the Broadway show as one of the segments. I'm not a hip-hop guy but the performance was amazing - I would definitely go see the show.

Also - just noticed from your link that the album is free to Amazon Prime members via the Amazon streaming app.

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen it twice, once downtown at the Public Theater and once on Broadway. They were equally wonderful and I would say to definitely see it. The direction, singing, choreography and performances are all superb and it easily fulfills and surpasses any expectations you might have. I can imagine that it might not be to all tastes, but anyone who cares about musicals should give it a try. On another note, the cast album is kind of a miracle that manages to have a "pop" sound as well as plenty of theatricality.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you're able to go last minute and don't need a huge amount of advance notice, try the digital lottery - you enter online in the morning for a chance to buy one or two tickets for $10 each, and in the afternoon they email you if you've won. Then just show up with photo ID at the box office to claim your tickets. I know a few people who got in that way.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I'll ever get the chance to see this with the original cast in its Broadway run, but the Original Broadway Cast Recording is one of the best I've ever encountered. I bought the CD version so I could rip it in Apple Lossless, and I had trouble finding a copy. All of the Barnes & Noble locations nearby told me they can't keep it on the shelves; they sell out as soon as they get a new shipment in.

I ended up getting it at an FYE. A nice presentation with separate lyric booklets for each act/CD. Because nearly the entire show is in verse, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot missing. Certainly you can follow the story just through the songs. I've probably listened to it all the way through 20-30 times. After the amazing job that Thomas Kail did with FOX's live production of "Grease", I hope he gets the chance to make a big screen version with this cast intact.

"60 Minutes" has a great video on the making the cast album. It's the bottom video on this page:
http://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=1168717

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Again, both of those are in the OP. I bought my copy at Amazon and it nets you a free digital download, but man the CD isn't leaving my car any time soon.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Tickets just went on sale in Chicago.

The first couple of months seem inflated.
Then the prices come down a bit.

However, they still seem to range from about $300 for rear balcony to over $700 for main floor.

I had hoped to take my two sons to see it, but I don't know if I can swing the $1000-$2000 for just a few hours.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
After listening non stop I definitely think Right Hand Man is my favorite track, followed by Cabinet Battle 1, CB2, My Shot, Alexander Hamilton and then Yorketown. So much great stuff in so many different styles. The chorus and orchestra really makes it tho as good as the leads are.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I listened to the album on Spotify. I'm not a Hip-Hop guy either, but it's good stuff.

Will check out the traveling company when it comes around, if I'm still upright by the time tickets become reasonable. :)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
They pretty much stacked the deck against it from breaking the record anyway (too many actors nominated in the same categories).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks