Halo2... to be shown in playable form at E3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by paul h, May 9, 2003.

1. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

You just know this is gonna be something special..

http://halo.bungie.net/news/stories/halo-E32003.html

"A demo like Halo 2 requires a special setting and this year we’ve pulled out all the stops. As fans enter the Microsoft booth, one of the first things they’ll encounter is the glorious Halo 2 Theater (a concept drawing is pictured at left). This custom theater was built from the ground up specifically to showcase Halo 2. The theater seats about 65 people and comes with all the bells and whistles you’d expect (complete with hypnotic control rays for our diabolical world domination plans). By the way, this ‘aint just another movie. The original Halo 2 announce trailer was an in-engine cinematic that was prepared in advance and released to the world. This time around, the E3 demo will consist of 100% bona fide in-engine gameplay and cinematics. Bungie team members like our Director of Cinematics, Joseph Staten, will be personally playing through the demo for everyone to experience. It’s been said a bunch already but I can honestly say after seeing this impressive display countless times around the office – It’s good. Oh so good. It might be a good idea to pack some extra under shorts because we can’t be responsible for what might happen. As mentioned in my last story, we don’t have concrete plans for an online release yet but once we get back from E3 we’ll regroup and explore options for sharing this demo with the world. "

2. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

Now that's a nice surprise.

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Awesome. Too bad we have to wait until 2004 for it. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

4. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

I predict Microsoft will pack-in a demo with an upcoming game, a la ZOE/MGS2.

5. Dave.A.C

Dave.A.C Agent

Exactly what I was thinking, Allen. Imagine if they could get that Halo 2 Demo into Brute Force? I think BF will sell well on it's own merits, but pack in anything Halo 2 and it will sell millions, and for a first party dev no less.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

very exciting news

I wonder if they'll avoid putting this demo into OXM and package it with a game solely to increase that games sales...maybe a realease on OXM a couple months after the games release

8. Dave.A.C

Dave.A.C Agent

To early to hype BF or Halo 2? BF is out at the end of this month and the Halo 2 demo will be displayed to a subset of the public in what, a week? I'm looking forward to both.

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If anything, they should try to put a demo online so that people with XBL can download it.

I read at Gamers.com that while Halo PC will be "fully playable" at E3, Bungie was specific in saying that Halo 2 XB would only be "demoed," but not necessarily playable.

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    The little disc that came with the Brute Force preorder isn't anything special if you already had the original "extra" disc, that was shipped with the Halo novel.

The only Halo 2 info on this new disc is simply the Halo 2 trailer we've all seen. Not only that but, it's not even in 5.1 on this disc.

The Halo 2 trailer is 5.1 encoded on the OXM demo disc.

The Brute Force stuff is just 4 different cinematics showcasing the individual characters. No biggie...

12. Dave.A.C

Dave.A.C Agent

Brian, I agree that it would be too early to release a demo of Halo 2 now. My initial post was "Imagine if...", not a suggestion that it is possible, realistic, guaranteed, hinted at, whatever. Nothing but fantastical imaginations. From what I read in the article linked initially I get the impression that the demo they'll have at E3 will not be anywhere near ready for public consumption. I would guess that the Bungie employee who will be playing while the attendees watch will know exactly what he can/can't do to keep the thing from crashing. Still, it's a nice fantasy [​IMG] .

And as far as my statement on the "..sell millions.." goes, I believe that 100% (especially re: BF. It should sell well already, anything Halo 2 would just help immensely). And I also believe MS won't let a Halo 2 demo out without leveraging the selling power of that thing in some way. I like what Morgan suggested, make the Halo 2 demo a Live download. Do this around the holiday season (release the news around the start of November) and you could guarantee that most of those Live subscriptions set to expire Nov-Dec would be renewed. It could also help to sell more new Live subscriptions. Again, just my own personal speculation, man.

I think Derrik covered the Halo disk for you. Although, to be safe, I'll amend my initial statement to "anything Halo 2 that's new and substantial". I feel like I'm writing a contract. You're not a lawyer, are you [​IMG] ? The Halo 2 teaser trailer is quite old, freely available all over the internet, and has been released on an OXM disk.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

14. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

I think a pack-in of Halo 2 demo has the ability to generate the Meet Joe Black effect. Not that it matters 'cause we are no where a time where a publically playable demo will be ready. Fun to dream though...