HALO: The Movie - Executive Produced by Peter Jackson, effects by Weta.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Kami, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

That's right...Bungie has announced that the Halo film will be executive produced by Peter Jackson and all of the physical and digital effects, props, costumes, etc. will be done by none other than Weta.

I am so happy I can't see straight.

My favorite video game franchise, and my favorite film maker, all rolled into one. [​IMG]

http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory....=4955829
    Update: I just uploaded a video of PJ talking about this here: http://hosted.filefront.com/bendak

2. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Now this could be really interesting... I don't usually get too excited over video game based movies, but I will keep an eye on this project.

3. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I approve of this project.[​IMG]

4. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

The Halo games are ok but extremely overrated and actually very sub-par when it comes to the FPS genre. I'd much rather see a Half-Life or Metal Gear Solid movie, but this could be ok if the sci-fi factor takes priority over mindless action.

Of course, the costume is key, as will be the person that embodies the Master Chief. Or is he going to be all digital? And let's keep Boll and Anderson away from this, but I am sure the filmmakers are already ahead of me on that one.

5. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Wow, now I had no interest in the Halo movie even though I play the games. Now I'm really interested. [​IMG]

6. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

A Metal Gear Solid movie would be absurd, too much plot weirdness. No actor could say Otacon or Solid and Liquid Snake and keep a straight face. I'd like to see it but the chance for cheese is way too high.

7. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

I won't argue with the subjective view of the games, but if the movie takes any of the elements from the Halo books The Fall of Reach or First Strike, the stories are certainly there to make decent movies from.

I really didn't have too much expectation when they said they were going to make a movie from this, but now I have a bit of guarded optimism. Now we'll just have to see who they pick for a director and what general storyline they choose to follow.

RG

8. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Ving Rhames for Master Chief!!!

9. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    It doesn't matter who PLAYS MC, but rather who voices him. Unless they cop out like Judge Dredd.

I'm still not thrilled about the idea of the film. The story is a simple mish-mash of old sci-fi genre chestnuts. It makes for a GREAT game, but two hours of non-interactive film is another story. WETA is a step in the right direction. Executive Producer can mean lots of things...if PJ gives some real input, that could only help. He might be there merely to get WETA on board. Who knows?

Still...more interested than I was this morning,
    Chuck

10. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Solid = Hugh Jackman or maybe even Karl Urban
    Liquid = Sean Bean
    Octagon= Dunno, but it wouldn't be hard. And throw Hackman in there as Campbell and you're set.

But there really is no need for a movie since the games are practically movies in themselves.

11. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Maybe it will be a big screen version of the Red v. Blue shorts... [​IMG]

12. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I don't want to see this. If this is going to be a live-action film it will suck hardcore.

The only way I'd see a Halo movie is if it was all done in Final Fantasy quality CG.

13. Mattias Stridsman

Mattias Stridsman Stunt Coordinator

Mattias
    Why? What makes it unsuitable for live-action? Halo is pretty much an action game, and IMO action is much more engaging if it's shot live-action and has real people you care about (The Incredibles is the exception...great movie). Final Fantasy was lifeless for me, even the action sequences. I appreciated the look of the film, but I felt absolutely nothing.

I can see this work as an action/war movie... When thinking about a Halo movie, the first 5 minutes of Terminator 2 pops into my head (the glimpse of the future war). Come to think of it, James Cameron would be a great choice for director. Peter Jackson Producing, Weta doing the props & effects and James Cameron directing...

14. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Halo, to me, wasn't an interesting story to begin with. Not that I wont be there for the midnight showing, but hey...

15. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

I'm there just to see Master Chief doing battle on the big screen and to hear the HALO theme playing.

16. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

You know PJ is going to be aiming for Howard Shore too. [​IMG] The Halo theme performed by a 100+ piece orchestra would be nice. Of course there would probably have to be a collaboration with Marty O'Donnell but I doubt he'd do the actual scoring and composing.

I just can't wait to see what Weta comes up with for costumes and props in a futuristic setting. They haven't really had the chance yet.

17. MickeS

MickeS Producer

We all know "Doom" is gonna ruin the market for FPS-game based movies anyway. [​IMG]

18. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Hi guys.

I just got ahold of a video of PJ talking about the project (briefly) and how he is excited about it. This was shown at X05 where the announcement was made.

I uploaded it here: http://hosted.filefront.com/bendak - Don't worry filefront doesn't require registration [​IMG]

19. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Hopefully the Halo film won't overdo the FPS point of view shots like Doom. [​IMG]

20. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

That was Final Fantasy which most know was not a great movie. It had lots of shortcomings. So does Halo. To me anyway. I just don't like the game and if I wanted to see it in it's "full glory", it would be best to be all in CG.

The reason why I want it in CG is so there in NO contrast between the game and the movie. If this is live action with *gasp* American actors it'll be ruined. [rant]And I'm not even a fan of Halo![/rant]

It's just gonna be ugly. And I didn't say Doom would rock either. Then again, it should be rated R and the FPS shots look pretty sweet. Plus, the chainsaw is soo much cooler than a crummy assault rifle or Covenent sword.