HALO problems with SONY HDTV component cables...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Marx, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Dave Marx

Dave Marx Stunt Coordinator

I just got a new 36-inch Sony HDTV, the KV36HS20. I connected the Hi-def component inputs from my X-Box to the tv. The picture does not look as good as the old S-Video connection on my old 36-inch tube Toshiba. For example, I was playing HALO and the gun meter on the upper left looked fuzzy and I could barely read the indicator. I also had to turn the brightness ALL the way up, just to make the game look decent. Otherwise, it looks way too dark. There seems to be more aliasing and more rough edges around objects with this new setting (yes, I do have my XBOX settings at 480p). I tried to move it back to normal resolution, but it looks pretty much the same.

Any ideas of how to improve these settings for XBOX? I am thinking of going back to the S-Video connection. Thanks...

2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Have you calibrated the set?

3. Dave Marx

No I have not. I just got it delivered from Best Buy yesterday.

Please forgive my ignorance...how does one go about doing that? Do I need a pro to come in and do that?

4. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

It's not too hard to approximate it with a tool like the Avia or Video Essentials DVDs, though the impression I'm getting from other HTF users is that using alternate settings for games is often preferred. I personally use the same settings for gaming with my VVega (not an HD model; a KV36FS12, connected to the XBox with component video cables), though Halo does often seem rather dark. The majority of the exterior levels and the other games I own for the XBox seem fine, though.
    If you'd like a quick starting point without plunking down the cash for one of those DVDs I mentioned, take a look at someone else's settings at:
    http://www.users.muohio.edu/corsilcj...alibration.htm
    If you use those settings or something similar, things may seem way too dark at first, but give it a short while and you'll adjust.

5. Dave Marx

Thanks...I'll check those options out. By the way, I had to turn the brightness all the way up when using my PS2 as well, so it just might be the way my tv is. However, when I watch digital cable tv, having the brightness all the way up distorts the color of the picture. So yes, I will have to adjust each time. Bummer...cause my old Toshiba needed no adjusting when changing sources.

Thanks for the help....

6. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

No problem. Your set should give you the ability to switch between different settings ('Sports', 'Movie', etc.) in the menu, though. I don't remember if you can name your own settings, but you could always overwrite 'Sports' (or whatever) with your preferred gaming settings and just switch back and forth when necessary.

7. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Many don't realize this...

Once you get the HD pack for the XBox, a new video menu pops up in the settings for the XBox.

8. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Dave,
    I have a 36" Sony Hi-Def TV, and the XBox picture is amazing. If you're having difficulty, you really should buy a Home Theater Calibration disk such as Avia, Video Essentials, or the Sound and Vision HT Tune Up disc.
    Also, remember one thing: The better your TV is, the more you will see in the way of imperfections in the video source. Once I got my new Sony set, I was extremely disappointed with my cable service, and immediately upgraded to Digital Cable. The non-digital stations still look like crap.
    However, a properly calibrated set in a properly lit room (that is also very important - if you have a light source directly shining on your set, it will make everything on screen appear too dark) will give you the best possible picture from your XBox.
    Oh, one more thing...I'm not sure if your Sony has this, but my 27" Sony does...one of the Menu choices was a feature that GREATLY dimmed the picture in a lighted room. It makes the picture look awful, and is best left in the OFF position. This MIGHT be one of the things causing a very dark picture.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Make sure you do your convergence too. That might be causing the fuzz