Halo Online! Wow!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_Anders, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Chris_Anders

Chris_Anders Stunt Coordinator

Just have to say that if anyone can get this game online through gamespy. DO IT!! Holy S$%T!! It is amazing. Worth the price of the xbox alone, and you know that people will be playing it for a while. At LEAST until Xbox goes online. If you are a GC or PS2 fanboy, you might change your ways after experiencing this.

Just thought I'd share my joy.

Happy gaming to all, and to all a good night

2. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Hi Chris, I think that fanboy remark was uncalled for. [​IMG]
    Tell us more about the Online play though...

3. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I tried Halo online a few months ago, and havent played since. I found the lag to be very bad with 4 or more players. I have a solid SDSL connection (384kbps up/down), I guess it just needs more bandwidth to run smoothly.

Jeff

4. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Wow, I should hope not. The actual throughput shouldn't be anywhere near enough to beat that down. I would suspect that either the work around isn't very code efficient on the VPN server, or your pings weren't stable.

5. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Jeff,
    You need to do some tweaking to you DSL connection to get more bandwidth!
    Check out DSL reports.com, in the TWEAKS section for some help.
    I'm on cable and I'm doing ~1500 up/ ~400 down. [​IMG]
    Troy

6. Chris_Anders

Sorry about the "fanboy" comment, but I just get tired of hearing people talk sh**t all the time you know? I don't generally talk bad about people, or systems for that matter, to each their own.

The skinny on HALO online:

Well, truth be told, it can be a biatch finding a game. Sometimes if you have only yourself to play, other people will boot you out of their rooms in favor of a xbox with 2 or more players, understandably. There is the option of creating your own room to solve that problem though. You will get games with lag, but just quit, there's no use playing when its really laggy. Then you will get those games where it is almost perfect, with a little lag, it is managable and enjoyable still. I played with 7 other people in the multiplayer level "ratrace" and there was virtually no lag and I am on a standard 1000kbsec Cable connection.

I do think it is important to note that if you find people with a good ping connection with you that you add them to a buddy list option that Gamespy gives you. People are generally friendly and just want to find lag-free games. So to buddy up with people you know you can have Lag-free games with, drastically cuts down on your "game-finding" time.

The quality of play is good. There are some people who just play too much. (I am soon to be one of those), then there are still those new to it.

At peak hours, you can find over 500 people playing online. Then there is typically no less than 90 ever. So you are likely to find a game eventually no matter how many laggy games you encounter.

I would definately recommend Halo online to those who:

A. Have an Xbox

B. A good broadband connection

C. Halo, of course

D. Fast Ethernet Hub, and 3 ethernet cables (can be found for less that $40)

E. $20 to drop on Gamespy registration

F. lots of free time

Hope that gives anyone who's curious an Idea about what its like, I have'nt been playing long (3 days), but I've been playing alot!

7. Chris_Anders

just spreading the word, Halo rocks

8. Brett_A

Brett_A Stunt Coordinator

My brother and I play a lot and love it. Any of you with fast connections and consider yourself "experts" add the name thorinman to your buddy and look me up online. SHould be on later tonight giving out some beatings. [​IMG]

9. Chris_Anders

C'mon people, there has to be more of you with thoughts on Halo online, I'd like to hear em'. Later