What's new

Halo gets higher review than MGS2! (1 Viewer)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Had the pleasure of playing multiplayer Halo in EB today for about 15 - 20 min. Overall, I thought the game was very fun. Looks amazing! I had trouble getting used to the controls, but thats something to expect. The level we played on was some forest level. I didnt come across any new wepons the whole time I was there though, which was weird. I know the wepons are there, but everytime I went to get it I got lit up by the other guy playing. Is there an always run option? It seemed like I was moving a little slow, but I was probably just not used to the game.
Overall a great, fun game. I cant wait to get my XBox for Xmas! The only tough choice is to play Oddworld or Halo first.
This isnt really a review...just a few comments since I didn't get to play very long.
JQ

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Romier-
You must have missed it when I said that only ONE person at GameSpot gives the review and score, not all of them. If a FPS fan is playing the game, then it will probably get a higher score than an RPG fan. The person who reviewed it was chosen because of the types of games they like. I posted the opinions of one person there to show someone actually saying something about the game other than it being perfect. Is that wrong or something?
No offense, but calm down.

Gary King

Second Unit
Likewise, one person at Gamespot answers the letters.
The reviewer said it was better than Goldeneye, Half-Life, and Perfect Dark, while the letter answerer said exactly the opposite (while maintaining that it was a very good game).
What's interesting is that you always seem to seek out and post bad news regarding the Xbox. Dozens of reviewers, and many gamers think Halo is great -- the lowest reader review score on Gamespot was a 9.7 when I checked yesterday. You find one comment where the person doesn't think it's terribly special (of course, the comments he made can be applied to most games -- I'm sure you'll discover that Rogue Leader doesn't have quite the visceral factor once you've downed your 1,000,000th TIE fighter), and make it into a sweeping generalization about how some large contingency of players feel about Halo.
Playing through Halo's campaigns cooperatively is some of the most fun I've had involving a videogame console... ever (and certainly the most this year). There's something inexplicably fun about lobbing grenades onto enemies and watching them respond by charging at you as suicide bombers... or getting a good rocket shot off at a Banshee, and watching it explode 50 feet in front of you.
Feel free to post your opinions once they are actually *your* opinions.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry if it sounded like I was making a generalized statement about Halo. I was saying what someone thought about the game and something I could see being very true. It was also the first thing I had heard anyone say that gave details about why they had their opinion instead of just "its so great and fun and I love it." I'm sure the game is fun, I've said before that its probably the best X-Box launch game. But based on everything I've read, its pretty monotonous. Then again, so are a lot of really fun games. I never said monotony was a bad thing, but in FPS games, it gets annoying for me.
Can someone confirm whether the game is nothing but shooting people or not? PD and even Red Faction had puzzles, so I would hope that the same is true for Halo.

Gary King

Second Unit
The best puzzles in Halo are the enemies - at higher difficulty levels, they are *damn* smart. I've never been a fan of "find-the-key" or "step on the blocks in the right order to open the door" puzzles in my action games.
There are a fairly wide variety of missions (infiltrate, find and protect, search and destroy, dog fight, tank battle, sniper attacks, etc.) that make it more than just a FPS, and you can play the same mission 5 times at the same difficulty level and it will always be slightly different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks