Halo gets higher review than MGS2!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffreyH, Nov 13, 2001.

1. JeffreyH

JeffreyH Stunt Coordinator

Check out Gamespot.com, they now have a review up of MGS2 which got a slightly lower score than Halo. Not a big deal.
    Anyway, has anyone noticed that besides Halo the XBOX games aren't getting that great of reviews? Check them out on Halo.
    On a side note this morning I stood beside 78 Xbox units at EB. The employees threw a sheet over my head so I'd snap out of the trance!

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Check out Gamespot.com, they now have a review up of MGS2 which got a slightly lower score than Halo. Not a big deal.
    EXACTLY--It was 9.6 to 9.7. I would dare to say that most reviewers will be easier on XBOX games in general as opposed to the lofty expectations that EVERYONE has for MGS2.

3. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

Assuming that the reviewer(s) are totally unbiased,then I agree.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

They only use one reviewer. They are chosen to review a game based on the genre and how much time the reviewer has spent with the game. So you might have a FPS freak fanboy review Halo and an action/espionage fanboy reviewing MGS2. The end review and number are totally dependant on the single reviewer.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

6. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

From what I have HEARD, MGS2 lives up to the hype and expectations.

8. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yea, but if it were on Xbox you certainly would have "heard" differently.
    Shawn,
    Thanks for the clarification.

9. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

I'm finding that sites are more biased against the Xbox than anything. But it is changing and the last couple of reviews from Gamespot have been great and honestly written. As for IGN, I could care less, pay to read, I don't think so.

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I have MGS2, and from what I have played, it more than lives up to my expectations. Its a little different from MGS, but it still rocks.

11. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

I strolled past a big pile of XBox's this morning. I was happy to ignore them and buy my copy of MGS2.
    Could I have bought an XBox? Sure, but the only game that really interests me is Halo and I'll be damned if I'm gonna buy a system just for that one game.

12. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

13. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

14. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

MGS2 DOES live up to the hype. So far, this and GTA 3 are games of the year.
    -Dean-
    ------------------
    My HT Equipment
    "I've seen you and you are not cool."

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

At GameSpot, one of the staff members expressed opinions about XB launch games after playing them for a few weeks.
    Halo is good, but gets VERY boring since most missions involved killing a bunch of guys and going to the next part. The multiplayer is only good if you have a LOT (like 16) people playing.
    DoA3 is not that great of a game. Graphically it rocks, but that can only go so far. The gameplay is focused more for people who get REALLY into it or people who don't get into it at all (aka, its a button masher with style). It offers nothing (in gameplay) over DoA2:H, and thus, might not be worth it.
    (The person even went so far as to say that people who gave DoA3 good reviews either don't play many fighting games or didn't spend much time playing it to learn how "not so great" it was)
    I can't remember anything else they might have said, but just from that, I would go for buying MGS2 over getting an XB and Halo/DoA3, even if the XB and its games were free and I had to pay for MGS2.
    Nonetheless, MGS2 is GREAT!!!

16. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Oh look...another discerning comment about the X-box from Morgan...WOW! What a suprise!!!!!!
    Dude, really just get a damn life already.
    If you are going to comment on a game have the common courtesy of playing it. Everything you say is preceeded by "I read somewhere...". How about some links to these individual sites where you have "read" these things so that we can get an idea of what you are talking about. Oh wait that may be asking too much since you really dont know what your talking about. Have you played Halo for an extended amount of time? This game alone has made me an X-box believer! How about DOA3? Of course you haven't. I'm tired of hearing you just as allot of people on this forum are. Please for the love of god up above write something intelligent for once that doesn't have some stupid underlying agenda under it.
    Here I'll post some of gamespots opinions then:
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/feature...901/p9_01.html
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...472132,00.html
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...822100,00.html
    Where are the discerning comments on Halo?
    Heres some on DOA3:
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...475251,00.html
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...819393,00.html
    7.9 is a pretty decent score if you ask me. I'm sure the DOA3 fans (of which I am not one) will enjoy the game a bunch.
    Allot of people have commented on why they dont like the X-box. That is fine. They dont have to like it, but at least they dont invade every thread that has to do with the X-box by posting crap and lowering and degrading the conversation level. Go post on a newsgroup, its where you belong.
    (mods sorry if this is harsh but I'm sure you guys have seen the myraid of complaints this guy gets!! Its ridiculous!)
    [Edited last by Romier S on November 16, 2001 at 11:42 PM]

17. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

18. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Yes, I love the cooperative play too! Just got back from a friend's (I brought my Xbox over). It's a total blast! I'm manning the Scorpion tank and my buddy is running around in the Ghost.
    This game is loads of fun, although I do agree that some of the missions are long and repetitive. Overall though, it's great!

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I have put "I heard somewhere" before a lot of things to show that its not my opinion. My hope was that people wouldn't whine and complain about my comments to me. Guess I was wrong.

20. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Yes I am quite happy now. Its the first time you have written something even semi intelligent and backed it up with some kind of proof. I think hell froze over.
    Your post also demonstrates a difference of opinion between the staff at Gamespot. They still saw fit to give the game a 9.7. That editor may like Perfect Dark more. The pope may enjoy Halo more. Madonna may like Goldeneye even better. Opinions WHAT A CONCEPT! Of course you latch onto the first bad comment you can find and throw it into every X-box thread in the world. Heres an idea. Hows about you go play the game for yourself. Oh wait..thats not what you do. You write useless comments that indicate you have no knowledge concerning what you are talking about.
    By the way lets talk about people whining. If anyone is whining on this forum it is you my friend. case in point:
    quote: When I played GT3, the lines in the road looked nice and didn't strike out as an annoyance. In the PGR videos and screenshots I've seen, they annoy me. The backgrounds also look bland.
    I'm sure the game is good and I know the graphics are great, but would it really be that hard for them to have made it look a little better?[/quote]
    This is from another thread on the forum concerning Project Gotham. You posted these comments three times in that thread. Why? Whose whining now? The conversation was completely devoted to talking about the merits of the cover and the alternate cover that was changed and of course you come in with your bullshit bashing agenda and the conversation goes downhill. It happens in every thread. ITS FUCKING OLD!
    Mods just close this thread. There is no relevant conversation going on here and I really am not gonna bother wasting keystrokes on this guy anymore.
    [Edited last by Romier S on November 17, 2001 at 07:25 PM]