Halo effect on 57h81

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Cal, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Brian Cal

Brian Cal Stunt Coordinator

My new Toshiba 57h81 is great in every aspect except for this very annoying problem. Basically (as described in other threads I've seen on this forum), whenever there's a very dark scene with only a small amount of light, the light area combines with the dark area of the screen and projects a large glowing semi-circle across my screen. It's getting really annoying!
    I have a 4 year extended warranty through a very reputable local dealer (Abt Electronics near Chicago) and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile for me to schedule a service call with one of their technicians, or if that's going to be a complete waste of time. I'm not sure if this problem is something a service tech for a dealer could or would fix. I'd really like to get this problem fixed since everything else with the TV is tip top.
    Anyone have any thoughts on if I should call Abt for service on this problem or not?

2. Eliab

Eliab Agent

3. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

Brian, I believe the effect you’re seeing is caused by internal reflections. The CRTs inside your TV projects picture information to a mirror to the back of your screen, which in turn projects the information to the screen. When the screen is primarily dark and a bright image appears on screen, you will sometimes notice Halos. The light coming from the mirror is reflected off of something inside the TV and then onto the mirror again, and showing up as a halo on the screen. This can get a bit annoying especially with dark movies. I watched Godfather Part I last night and the halos showed up quite a bit.
    When I did my electrical/mechanical focus on my set, I noticed that the housing bracket that holds the CRTs in place is stainless steel. It is not painted flat black. If you already took off your screen, you’ll definitely know what I’m talking about. This would definitely cause internal reflections. The back of the speakers are also exposed contributing to the reflections. The screws/non-painted areas of on the lenses themselves could also be contributing to the halos. I’m confident that by at least taking care of the CRT housing will eliminate the majority of the halos. I haven’t tried this yet, I’m just speculating based on what I’ve researched.
    Another cause could be a smudge on the mirror or on the Lenses.
    There is a tweak where you line the interior of the set with a dark cloth to eliminate/reduce internal reflections. I am planning on doing this in the next few months.
    Another way to reduce (not eliminate) this is to turn your contrast down.
    I’m not entirely sure what a service technician would do to fix this problem. Internal reflections are common in RPTVs. Some sets are lined/blacked better than others to reduce this effect. I wouldn’t see a technician (other than an ISF Calibrator) lining the interior for you.
    I could be wrong here, but this is what I suspect is going on.
    Good luck!
    Mass

4. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

5. Brian Cal

Brian Cal Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback, Massimo nailed the problem exactly. I was wondering if a service tech might be able to take care of it since I'm not about to take my television apart. If something went wrong I don't think I'd be able to live with myself. I might just have to wait to get it ISF'd to take care of the problem, which I plan on doing eventually.
    Anyway, the problem is fairly minor I guess. My wife and just watched 'Cast Away' which has a lot of dark scenes and I only noticed the problem twice, and only very briefly each time.

6. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

Brian, from my experience, a service tech would not fix this kind of problem...that said, it wouldn't hurt to have him/her look at your set.
    Lining is an ISF service. I have no idea how much it would cost.