Halo, Best Game Ever?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnE, Oct 25, 2001.

1. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Well Apache over at Voodooextreme.com posted his hands-on review of Halo, and is saying that so far, it's the best fps he's ever played. Don't know how much stock anyone puts in other people's reviews, but I find it encouraging. The more so because VE is a pc gaming related site and Apache is a mouse and keyboard fps gamer, and he's saying the controls are not bad to learn. Worth looking at if your interested in Halo.

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

This is going to be a painful wait for the PC version...
    Almost makes me want an XBox. Maybe if a few more must haves show up.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Halo looks interesting, but I can't help feeling that they could have done better (and for what it seems to be, better would be unimaginable).
    Looks great, plays great, I see nothing wrong with this game. For some reason, though, the graphics don't look like what the XB is supposed to do compared to what MS said. Yes, there's a lot of polys and such, but the objects and such look too blocky for what I would have expected.

4. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Best game ever? I hope not, Best game so far? Could very well be. I haven't played this yet, but know quite a few people that have and I really respect their opinions. Halo is going to raise the bar on what we think a good FPS should be.
    Dean
    [​IMG]

5. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Nope, MS has formally declared it to be PC and Xbox. They'll probably ship the PC version along with Network Halo and the 2'll be compatible
    Jeff Kleist

7. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Until I play Halo, my prediction for best FPS will be Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.
    -Dean-
    ------------------
    My HT Equipment
    "I've seen you and you are not cool."

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

9. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Just got my 1st issue of Offical Xbox Magazine and, of course, Halo was reviewd.
    They too gave it very high marks and said that it is the 1st game to truly challenge Half-Life as THE best fps ever.
    Of course, they're a bit biased being an Xbox mag but, they're just another group of guys to say this game IS everything the hype promised.
    My only worry is that fact that there is only 10 measly missions. XBox mag says that there are many sub missions to each one and that they're large missions. I seriously hope so. I'm tired of great games who's only flaw is that they're too damn short. *cough* ICO * cough* [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Then again, if the game is anywhere as good as ICO, then the money is worth it, no matter how short.
    I think that Metal Gear Solid 2 will be better than this game because it always looks to be getting better and better, plus I have read reviews that say its more than just beyond the hype.

11. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

The more I see and hear of this game the more I am impressed.
    It's the main reason I'm getting an XBox. From checking out the launch line-up, Microsoft has put together the most impressive initial run since NES (maybe DC). We'll have to see how far that takes the system into the season.
    (Even Gamestop's Informer rated it higher than Luigi's Mansion (calling it Game of the Month or some such nonsense), and that rag shills for the big N quite a bit.)
    ----
    (I worry about GameCube's launch. This is the first Nintendo system to sell without a Mario title to push it. I wonder how that will affect sales considering I bought an N64, along with quite a lot of others, solely for Mario64 - And wouldn't have otherwise. However, I'm still fairly sure I will walk out of the store with a little black cube as well.)

12. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Bungie's games do, IMHO, have a pretty good track record for making fun games with tight stories. I don't think it's that implausible for it to be a better game than Half-Life. Of course only time will tell.

13. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Better than Half-Life? No problem. Better than Deus Ex? Then I'll be impressed. [​IMG]
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List
    "The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

14. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Should be great in OS X.
    Who'ld-a-thunk-it? A Mac founded company being praised for making the best game ever.
    Hmmm... I guess they only get the top praise they deserve after becoming a victim of a hostile takeover. [​IMG]

15. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

I haven't heard much about it, but if it beats Doom, Half Life, Theif 2, or Deus Ex, then it's gotta be good.
    But the best game ever? I doubt it will be better than Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within.
    ------------------
    Joe Dahlen
    "Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

16. Dean Cooper

From the IGN forums posted by ManaByte-IGN:

17. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

Is it just me or is this review a bit, errr, bubbly? Perhaps even excessively so? I have a HUGE problem whenever anyone says that game "X" is "the best game ever," or even the best in its genre, because frankly, and maybe this has escaped certain 'fanboy reviewers' (that is what they're paid to be though), something better is just around the corner. Whenever you read a review, and there isn't a single flaw that the reviewer could detect, either the reviewer is deluded or he didn't play the game (you have to think deluded since he admitted to not being able to sleep for 48 hours, or is that ust exagerration?). The 'denial bit' at the end seems like it's there almost in an attempt to cover himself from anyone who might disagree, since they're automatically wrong.
    Is Halo a system seller? We'll find out on launch day, but I remain unconvinced. For most 'console gamers,' DOA3 seems to be much more likely to fill that role, but hey, that's just my opinion.

18. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

Oh, and since he is trying to convince you that this game is a 'system seller,' he could have given a bit more than the one-word summations for Halo's graphics, music, control, etc. That would have helped a whole lot more than the ending rant. A screenshot may tell me a whole lot, but it doesn't tell me a thing about any of that.

19. John Kilroy

John Kilroy Stunt Coordinator

I read a quote from either J. Allard (Microsoft) or someone from Bungie that 70% of the Xbox pre-orders included Halo. Of course we don't know the total number of pre-orders, and I'm sorry I can't be more specific about the quote. I looked around and couldn't find it.
    In any case, this is the only solid number I've heard. In my mind, 70% percent probably means "system seller." Although a lot of those 70% may have been people who would have ordered the Xbox with or without Halo. I put it in my bundle. It's my first FPS; the perspective has always creeped me out. I may have a copy for sale (cheap) come November 15 if Halo creeps me out as well.
    John
    ------------------
    www.kilroyinteractive.com

20. Dean Cooper

Here is another Preview from Team Xbox. Every review and preview is pretty common, they all LOVE Halo. Here's a snip from it: