What's new

Halo, Best Game Ever? (1 Viewer)

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Well Apache over at Voodooextreme.com posted his hands-on review of Halo, and is saying that so far, it's the best fps he's ever played. Don't know how much stock anyone puts in other people's reviews, but I find it encouraging. The more so because VE is a pc gaming related site and Apache is a mouse and keyboard fps gamer, and he's saying the controls are not bad to learn. Worth looking at if your interested in Halo.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
This is going to be a painful wait for the PC version...
Almost makes me want an XBox. Maybe if a few more must haves show up.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Halo looks interesting, but I can't help feeling that they could have done better (and for what it seems to be, better would be unimaginable).
Looks great, plays great, I see nothing wrong with this game. For some reason, though, the graphics don't look like what the XB is supposed to do compared to what MS said. Yes, there's a lot of polys and such, but the objects and such look too blocky for what I would have expected.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Best game ever? I hope not, Best game so far? Could very well be. I haven't played this yet, but know quite a few people that have and I really respect their opinions. Halo is going to raise the bar on what we think a good FPS should be.
Dean
image2384.jpg

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Nope, MS has formally declared it to be PC and Xbox. They'll probably ship the PC version along with Network Halo and the 2'll be compatible
Jeff Kleist

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Until I play Halo, my prediction for best FPS will be Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.
I here you on that
wink.gif

Now about Halo being BEST GAME EVER........I seriously doubt it has the beef to go head to head with Half-Life or DOOM which are two of the BEST GAMES EVER! I am still hoping for good'ol MS to come through on my XDebug Kit though....and then my review copies of Halo, etc. Trust me MS is being very tight with their Xboxes for reviewers. I still cannot believe they gave Apache from VE one, he must know someone....also Apache is an asshole, just had to get that out :)
Oh Bungie has stated in 6 months Halo will come out on both the PC and the Mac, that was part of thier agreement to be swallowed by the allmighty MS.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Just got my 1st issue of Offical Xbox Magazine and, of course, Halo was reviewd.
They too gave it very high marks and said that it is the 1st game to truly challenge Half-Life as THE best fps ever.
Of course, they're a bit biased being an Xbox mag but, they're just another group of guys to say this game IS everything the hype promised.
My only worry is that fact that there is only 10 measly missions. XBox mag says that there are many sub missions to each one and that they're large missions. I seriously hope so. I'm tired of great games who's only flaw is that they're too damn short. *cough* ICO * cough*
laugh.gif

------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Then again, if the game is anywhere as good as ICO, then the money is worth it, no matter how short.
I think that Metal Gear Solid 2 will be better than this game because it always looks to be getting better and better, plus I have read reviews that say its more than just beyond the hype.

James D S

Screenwriter
The more I see and hear of this game the more I am impressed.
It's the main reason I'm getting an XBox. From checking out the launch line-up, Microsoft has put together the most impressive initial run since NES (maybe DC). We'll have to see how far that takes the system into the season.
(Even Gamestop's Informer rated it higher than Luigi's Mansion (calling it Game of the Month or some such nonsense), and that rag shills for the big N quite a bit.)
----
(I worry about GameCube's launch. This is the first Nintendo system to sell without a Mario title to push it. I wonder how that will affect sales considering I bought an N64, along with quite a lot of others, solely for Mario64 - And wouldn't have otherwise. However, I'm still fairly sure I will walk out of the store with a little black cube as well.)

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Bungie's games do, IMHO, have a pretty good track record for making fun games with tight stories. I don't think it's that implausible for it to be a better game than Half-Life. Of course only time will tell.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Better than Half-Life? No problem. Better than Deus Ex? Then I'll be impressed. :)
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Should be great in OS X.
Who'ld-a-thunk-it? A Mac founded company being praised for making the best game ever.
Hmmm... I guess they only get the top praise they deserve after becoming a victim of a hostile takeover.
biggrin.gif

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard much about it, but if it beats Doom, Half Life, Theif 2, or Deus Ex, then it's gotta be good.
But the best game ever? I doubt it will be better than Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
From the IGN forums posted by ManaByte-IGN:
Ok, I haven't slept in 48 hours thanks to Bungie's masterpiece. No first person shooter since Half-Life has been this involving and fun to play, but Bungie took the precedent that Valve started in Half-Life and brought it to the Nth degree.
I've been seeing some people who are obviously in denial about Halo going around saying it is nothing more than a run of the mill FPS clone that does nothing new or innovative. They have also been saying that is isn't a system seller.
That is the work of a delusional mind.
Halo does for First Person Shooters what Mario 64 did for the platformer genre. It takes it to a whole new level that people are going to try for years to copy, but few will be able to match what has been done here.
Imagine a sci-fi movie and imagine being put INTO that movie. The Marines you fight along side act as if a real player was controlling them. Each one has a name, own voice (some even have accents), and own personality. Occasionally, if one gets winged by an alien, he'll run up and unload a few more rounds into the dead carcass while screaming "You like that, bitch?". They flank and maneuver. Take cover, and lay down covering fire (while yelling "COVERING FIRE!"). All of this while you are fighting right along side them in truly epic battles. If you were impressed with the scope and chaos in the Normandy landing in Metal of Honor, you haven't seen anything yet. Oh, and the Covenant forces are just as smart. Some are even smarter...
In one of the earlier missions you're landing on a beach to seek out something that will eventually lead you to a shocking discovery about Halo (if you've played other Bungie games you'll REALLY crap your pants). This mission was the E3 demo, but now it is so smooth and fluid, my jaw was on the floor.
Jumping out of the drop ship alongside a bunch of fellow Marines and immediately going into combat against a large force of Covenant on the most incredible looking beach outside of DOA3 put together everything I've ever wanted to see in a first person shooter with utter perfection.
The music: WOW. The AI: Stunning, AMAZING. The Control: Butter.
This game controls so well it makes Goldeneye and Perfect Dark handle like Oni on the PS2. In other words, crap. Halo is simply the best controlling FPS on a console, ever. The control is so intuitive you'll forget about your mouse/keyboard fetish.
Anyone who says "I'll wait for the PC version for the mouse/keyboard support" is an idiot. Doing that will be like missing out on a Metal Gear Solid 2 or Mario 64. Each of those were or will be the defining games for their respective consoles, and Halo is an extremely strong candidate for Game of the Year, although the race between it and MGS2 will be closer than any Game of the Year EVER.
If anyone doubts that this isn't a system seller, here is a good story. Peer wasn't initially planning to buy an Xbox this year. That is, until he saw Halo. The day after Microsoft first brought Halo by, both him and Matt went out to plop down the cash for Xbox bundles, which included Halo.
You just keep telling yourself it isn't a system seller. Denial is a fanboy's greatest weapon.

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
Is it just me or is this review a bit, errr, bubbly? Perhaps even excessively so? I have a HUGE problem whenever anyone says that game "X" is "the best game ever," or even the best in its genre, because frankly, and maybe this has escaped certain 'fanboy reviewers' (that is what they're paid to be though), something better is just around the corner. Whenever you read a review, and there isn't a single flaw that the reviewer could detect, either the reviewer is deluded or he didn't play the game (you have to think deluded since he admitted to not being able to sleep for 48 hours, or is that ust exagerration?). The 'denial bit' at the end seems like it's there almost in an attempt to cover himself from anyone who might disagree, since they're automatically wrong.
Is Halo a system seller? We'll find out on launch day, but I remain unconvinced. For most 'console gamers,' DOA3 seems to be much more likely to fill that role, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
Oh, and since he is trying to convince you that this game is a 'system seller,' he could have given a bit more than the one-word summations for Halo's graphics, music, control, etc. That would have helped a whole lot more than the ending rant. A screenshot may tell me a whole lot, but it doesn't tell me a thing about any of that.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I read a quote from either J. Allard (Microsoft) or someone from Bungie that 70% of the Xbox pre-orders included Halo. Of course we don't know the total number of pre-orders, and I'm sorry I can't be more specific about the quote. I looked around and couldn't find it.
In any case, this is the only solid number I've heard. In my mind, 70% percent probably means "system seller." Although a lot of those 70% may have been people who would have ordered the Xbox with or without Halo. I put it in my bundle. It's my first FPS; the perspective has always creeped me out. I may have a copy for sale (cheap) come November 15 if Halo creeps me out as well.
John
------------------
Link Removed

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Here is another Preview from Team Xbox. Every review and preview is pretty common, they all LOVE Halo. Here's a snip from it:
Hands-On Early Preview
Probably one of the most highly anticipated launch titles for the Xbox is Halo. I don’t think there is anyone out there who has heard of the Xbox and not heard about Halo. For months now we have been salivating endlessly over screenshots, and ever since Bungie’s Fanfest, Halo has been on everyone’s list. Over the summer the big question was, “will Halo live up to the hype?” A lot of gamers were worried the game would be so hyped up it couldn’t possibly live up to our expectations. After having spent the evening playing the latest preview version of Halo, I can say that the game goes beyond expectations and is absolutely capable of living up to all the hype! The opening sequence of the game should be watched at least twice before you actually begin playing the game. The first time you see the animation sequence, you will be left speechless and in such shock that you will probably not be capable of handling your motor skills properly. This would require restarting the game and watching it again; just to make sure the first time wasn’t a dream. And no, I’m not being a biased fanboy, it really is that cool.
You can read the rest here: http://www.teamxbox.com/content.php?%20id=93
Only a little over 2 weeks to go!
Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks