What's new

Halo almost made me RALF! (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm not affected by FPS at all and I've played them all. But the level where you ride the warthog almost made me lose it with the circling camera and all, anyone else?

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
That was something I struggled with for about a day. Once I got used to it, no problem at all. I too felt green and almost sea sick after initially playing Halo. But it's so good, I stuck at it. Now I can play for hours and feel nohting but pure enjoyment.

Tom

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I've only felt sick after watching my newbie friend play Halo. He kept looking down and up and left and right; looking in every direction but forward, because he was so not familiar with the control scheme.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I sometimes get that queasy feeling playing FPS - but Halo didn't affect me at all...
I remember watching newbies during online Quake III deathmatches. They'd all run around looking at their feet. Eeeeeeasy targets
But that said, Derrick's font does give me a headache ;)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
FPS don't make me ill but I agree on the warthog controls. They were frustrating at best. I could fly the banshee like a pro but I couldn't drive the warthog well at all. the last level gave my brother and I some extreme frustration when you have to escape in the warthog

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty good with FPS's on my PC, esp Unreal Tournament and related ones, but I still can't get the hang of the Halo... it may be the double control stick configeration, or something, but I'd love a tracball and keyboard or something....that'd be the bomb.

Jim

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Halo... it may be the double control stick configeration, or something, but I'd love a tracball and keyboard or something....that'd be the bomb
I had trouble with TimeSplitters at first (it's set-up the same as Halo) until I related back to PC FPS games. I had no trouble with Halo since I had played TimeSplitters.

The left stick is used like a keyboard in an PC FPS game. It moves your character forward/back and strafes left/right.

The right stick is used the same as the mouse. It looks left/right and aims up/down.

Once I thought about it in those terms I was able to pick it up very fast.

Aaron

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Aaron,
I agree but the problem is that no everyone plays a FPS game like that. I usuauly use the mouse buttons for moving forward and backward. As a result, I don't strafe often enough. I think if I were to play a PC FPS now I would use the keyboard for moving and strafing but the first time I played Red Faction on the PS2 at the store, I couldn't use it at all. Now I'm pretty good at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks