Halo 2 -- "You Failed to load Map" error

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jean D, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

During Live Matchmaking lately Ive been receiving this message frequently. I have to reboot my Xbox just about every 2 matches now. My Xbox is under 2 years old so I doubt its the problem (none of my other games give me problems either). The disc itself looks just as good as it was the day I opened it. So Im curious as to if this happens to anyone else, and any possible remedies. Im considering buying a new Halo 2 game and/or exchanging my Xbox with a new one. I feel this frequent error is a ridiculously irritating nuisance and I shouldnt have to re-purchase anything. Any responses would be appreciated.

2. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Is usually due to the DVD player. Could be the disc, but as you say, it looks fine. A disc cleaning kit may help, but no promises! I get it too - crappy Thompson drives...

Martin.

3. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Today is the MAJOR Autoupdate. Did your Xbox do this, or is this an unrelated problem?

I hadn't played Halo 2 Online in a few weeks until this weekend. Just restarted in preps for the new map, and didnt have any problems. Will try again tonight, to verify the autoupdate, which should minimize the fooking cheaters, and balance out some weapon loads.

Some folks who made the AU commented on failing to load maps as well. Just a note.

Good luck,
    Chuck

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Yeah I've also been offline since 3/21/05.

The autoupdate was *not* there as of 9am Pacific Time this morning (though Bungie's site says "if it isn't there first thing in the morning on Monday, don't worry, it'll make it's way out to your neck of the woods..."

But yeah I'm going to log on tonight, to at least autoupdate if not actually play a few rounds.

Increased grenade power/effectiveness. Nice. This should help me out tremendously.

Of course it will also probably add a betrayal or two to my stats as well... [​IMG]

5. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Got it after work.

Haven't tried it yet.

Take care,
    Chuck

6. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Its really nice. Its more subtle than I thought, but magnums have auto aim turned down...meaning that people like myself can be even more precise than normal. Cool.

And the Brute Shot has turned into a pretty awesome superweapon.

The melees...wow, they are powerful. Ill have to play online tomorrow to see how cheating was fixed.

7. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

Played online for about an hour last night.

I give the changes a definite [​IMG]

Todd B

8. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

My error was not due to any update. I did receive the update, but like I said, had nothing to do with the error. I think perhaps it could be the "Crappy Thompson Drive" as Martin has stated.

The update was nice, but its hard to find decent games these past few days and even now after the update because a lot of people don't care if they win or lose due to the fact that Bungie is resetting everyones level's in a couple weeks. and revamping the level system in place (which will make it easier to get up the ranks and find more evenly balanced games). Plus everyone wants the new maps already, which wont be out for a couple more weeks.

For example. Last night I played a Ranked TS game with 3 random people. one person didn't even play. So our team got slaughtered due to the other teams complete control of the covenant sniper. Needless to say, I was really pissed, and left negative feedback on that teammate.

9. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

The new maps are out on Monday. The playlists should be updated by a week or two after that, and the stats reset will happen soon after (or soon before, perhaps). All in all, I expect everything to be done in 3 to 4 weeks. That's enough time to get used to the new weapon balance before it "counts". [​IMG]

Martin.

10. James T

James T Screenwriter

After reading this thread, I jumped on Xbox live to update Halo and play for the first time in about a month or so. I don't know what changes they did, but it's either the changes are helping a lot of people or I suck worse now (maybe even a combination of both).

11. Brian_Pete

Brian_Pete Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if the grenade/melee updates translate over to the single player game?

12. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

They changed absolutely nothing in Campaign mode. only Multi-player mode

13. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

ok, I've done some research online and I do believe that the error was due to the Thompson drive. Ive ordered a replacement "Samsung SD 616T" which will work with the xbox after you do modifications. I have also ordered a few other things. Like a heatsink for the Nvidia processor, a cable that will increase the speed of the fan, and a new ADA cable that will give faster loading speeds. Hopefully, this will be the end of my Xbox woes. Ill keep you all posted on how everything comes out. (doing all this is cheaper than buying a new Xbox by at least $80. and it will be faster and be able to read other media formats (i.e. cd-r/rw)

14. James T

James T Screenwriter

Hey Jean,

Where did you get those items from? I've been thinking of replacing my Thompson with another driver because it's been giving a lot of problems. The only upside, is that it plays scratched DVDs perfectly when my main DVD player fails to even recognize...I hope I don't lose out on that feature.

15. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Hey James, that depends. Do want to do the modifications yourself (soldering, flashing the drive, etc.)? or do you want to buy a pre-modified drive (i.e. Plug and Play) or you could even just buy a used xbox drive. Its cheaper to do the modifications yourself, but the time and effort may not be worth the price differance to you. I got a drive for $40-45 with shipping. (theres a limited # of dvd drive models you can use), or $80+ for a pre-modified one to "buy it now" on ebay (without shipping).

16. James T

James T Screenwriter

The plug and play is probably what I'm looking for. Soldering irons + my hands = pain + damaged goods.

I guess I'll check out eBay.

17. James T

James T Screenwriter

Hey Jean,

How'd the DVD drive turn out? Did it solve the DDE? I looked on eBay and saw a bunch of differnt drives, but if the one you picked up works great, I'll probably look for your model.