Halo 2 Leaked

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Scott Bourden, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Suprised nothing has shown up here yet.

Halo 2 was leaked onto the internet a day or two ago. It is the French version, with English subtitles. I have seen it available myself, and have spoken with a coworker who confirmed it is legitimate.

HalfLife 2 leaked, a Doom 3 demo leaked, and now Halo 2. Having your top shelf games leaked seems to be in fashion this year. I certainly hope this does not effect the release date of Nov. 9th, I'll be quite bitter if it is delayed, as I have it pre-ordered and am drooling in anticipation.

Thankfully, Xbox pirating is a drop in the bucket compared to the ease of PC pirating, needing mod chips, and the setup times which do not lend themselves to those without the time to lean how to use them, but this is still a pretty big deal, almost a month from release date.

There are many sources to back this up, IGN's is well detailed though.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/557/557133p1.html

2. James T

James T Screenwriter

I heard about that last night. I'm just glad it doesn't delay the release date.

3. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

I have the leaked version...can you believe Master Chief sacrifices himself in the end to save the Halo?

I keed, I keed! Not too worried about the leak, since Nov.9th is so close. Just stay away from Halo forums and everything will be spoiler free.

4. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I can't see why anyone would speculate that this leak would result in a delay. If anything, the release date would be pushed up.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Doom 3 demo leaked? huh?

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Because that's what happened with Half Life 2 if I recall.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Except the game was never going to ship back in September last year, it wasn't anywhere near finished.

8. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Actually, the HL2 code was stolen, meaning that Valve had to rewrite all the code. (So they say).

With Halo 2, it was leaked, meaning someone got 1 copy out of thousands.

9. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Semi-playable tech demo was leaked from ATI last year, a pretty big fuss was made over it between id and ATI at the time.

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

No, it wasn't stolen - it was copied. Valve didn't lose the sourcecode, which is what you're saying. Instead, someone got a copy of the sourcode, allowing them access to all of their algorithims, functionality, security checksums etc, all of which allegedly had to be rewritten.

11. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Any Halo 2 reviews yet? Release time is almost 2 weeks away.

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Hah, Kami. The reviews on Halo 2 are heavily orchestrated with the first print review being OXM, due on shelves on November 9th (the same day as Halo2), though I'm sure subscribers will get it early as usual. Online reviews aren't due to around the same date, I believe - maybe the 7th?

13. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Another question, does anyone know if Halo 2 supports 16:9? This would be a major disappointment if it did not, especially for a high profile game being released at the end of 2004!

14. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

I think I answered my own question on the widescreen thing.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread...2&page=1&pp=15

If you look at the pics at the toyko game show, the widescreen monitors all have vertical black bars.

And the pictures at the bottom with the big plasma or LCD tv are stretched. Look at the radar circle in the HUD.

[​IMG]

15. Scott L

Scott L Producer

HUD info is usually raster based, meaning they stay the same shape no matter what. Burnout 3 has a 16:9 mode but the HUD is always stretched. The crosshair here looks vector based and stays circular in widescreen:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/...4/tgsxb210.jpg

Image tag edited to URL for the bandwidth-challenged - Jay

And according to an interview at IGN Halo 2 does support 16:9 widescreen.

Someone at AVS brought up 16:9 may be available only in single player mode, the black bars in the link above show multiplayer.

16. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

That would explain it if it was 4x3 in multiplayer only because of the increased FOV, but hopefully that only applies to Xbox Live play because 16:9 with the vertical split screen would be simply awesome (last pic on that first post shows vertial split screen). And I also hope it's 16:9 for System Link Co-op.

17. BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry Stunt Coordinator

Do people think this is intentional or no?

18. BrianB

BrianB Producer

No.

19. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Definitely not intentional.

I was reading a thread on Halo 2 today (I wanted to know about widescreen support) and some idiot blurted out a big plot spoiler. Pissed me off. No way would Bungie have leaked it - they even issued a statement saying they are pissed that spoilers will be leaked, potentially ruining the experience for others.

20. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

That's exactly why I'm only reading threads on boards I trust to disallow spoilers... (namely here and Bungie's forums.) i don't want to know anything until i pick up my copy at 12:01 AM on Nov 9th.