What's new

Halo 2 Arranged Match for 8PM PST Saturday, Feb 5, 2005! Sign up here! (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Let's see, some others that I thought of while playing...

BETRAYALS - be careful of these, not because of the intital damage but because once you have betrayed someone (and they didn't accidently boot you by button smashing the X, DOH) you are the living damned. You get MAJOR time added to your respawn time when you die after betraying, and that means your team will be shorthanded for longer.

MELEE from behind - I still sometimes make the mistake of shooting instead of meleeing, but no matter how much you like that dual SMG thing you've got going, if you are behind ANYONE just melee and let the dual gun fall. You'll get a quicker kill, save bullets, and save shield. Then you can pick your other gun back up in peace. :)

On Colossus - saw a new one for team ball the other day. A guy jumped up onto the window ledge at the back (the wall on the flag end between the 2 bases). Not sure if it was the best place to be.

ALWAYS get the sniper rifle and bring it back to base. Don't rush in with it as you will lose it, don't stay in the center as you will get killed. The best thing is to have another person follow you to get it because the other team will be racing you for the kill from behind. Some guys even wait a second on purpose to kill you just after you pick it up.

Foundation CTF does NOT require that your flag be there to score, so the minute you get a lead it becomes a race, go full offensive and don't pansy around about it.

Also, when I see that my team is close to scoring, or will at least be close enough during respawn to eventually get the flag, I haul butt to the flag point to get the next pickup ASAP. Like I said, this level is a RACE and should be treated that way. Defense is only until you take the lead.

MIDSHIP - ALWAYS get the Shotty and Sword first, even if you have to give up a score.

A CTF strategy here is to have one guy throwing the flag out and then hiding, while another guy or two waits in the middle to catch it and run it back for the score, like a relay team. A top notch guy in the enemy's base and teamwork can make this a short game.

If someone drops this map will usually spawn a 2ND SWORD. Makes for an interesting game. :)

FOUNDATION - first it was turrets, but then everyone started rushing their own Rockets to take out the turret. Now everyone rushes the OTHER GUYS rockets to keep it from happening.

This map is a great example of skipping the ball until you have established weapon control (which typically doesn't last too long on this map).

To win assualt here you need to get 3 kills quickly, then you can rush. No point sending the bomb anywhere near that front door before then (hand granades suck).

Some guys like to use the air vent to sort of sneak in behind you from above. Also the ball carrier in Team Ball will sometimes try to get up high on the wall inside one of the rooms. Some call it a glitch, but its just finding a high place to stand (via explosion I guess).

IVORY TOWER - teams on defense will often rush the sword and/or sniper. Teams on offense generally rush the Rockets guy with either grenades, power pistol/SMG (what I use) or Sniper.

One counter to this sort of rushing is to rush back, esp if the defense does it on assault (bomb in before they are get back). You kinda have to read how the other team wants to play it in the first round or by their blips on radar.

Running the flag back up the middle is solid when you have a good sniper overlooking things, and if the other team does then you MUST commit to not only killing the guy but to taking his rifle so he won't just respawn and start over again, ie get up close and dirty ASAP.

But the recent popular method is to take it out the side. So many teams are used to the middle runback that they don't even know where the flag went to at first. It's also decent place to attack the fallen flag if you don't make it (though it lacks the convenient "endless sudden death" that comes with respawning right below the flad). Go Shotty side (right as you face the rocket/waterfall from the flag).

Also, remember that if a weapon is being sniped that you can knock it out of sniper view with a grenade, like the rockets on Battle Grounds (or is it Ruins? whatever you call the red desert map with the "ribs").

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of losing streaks on team games, in the past several weeks I have gone from 11 to 7 to 12 to 9 on Team Skirmish (my personal favorite, all objectives).

This last week I was losing 4 out of 5, and 1 or 2 of those was due specifically to guys quitting. WTF is it with quitters, why not ride it out. Some guys quit after a single score, others while a tie is still on the board.

What sucks about going down so far is that you end up getting weaker teammates. While you can get on the other team pretty good yourself, your teammates don't realize when you have the advantage or flat out do the wrong thing, run the wrong way with the flag, bomb, whatever. After getting used to playing with guys who know what's what, it sucks going back to this.

Don't take that the wrong way, with friends I have endless patience. It's fun then, even if we are losing to mouthy 9 year olds, because I know my friends are learning and improving and because its just fun to do stuff with your friends. With strangers its all business, I'm just there to play a good round of team play.

BTW, I almost never play Rumble Pit.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Awesome strategies guys, I'm real hyped for tomorrow's game!

Try to take it easy on us (Seth!) because a lot of us haven't done the objective thing often. I'm a team slayer guy myself. But hopefully if this proves to be as fun as I think it will, a lot of us will start w/ the objective based games.

I'm hoping my friend (the one who motivated me to do this) will be online. Last night we were gaming and his XBox started to flash the green/yellow light pattern and I kept getting the message "person in your party failed to load map". He turned it off and on to clear it, but then got an error message saying his XBox needed service.

I told him to leave it unplugged for the night and this morning he said it was working. Here's hoping it is still working as he has never played an 8-on-8 before and that's just something that you have to try at least once! ;)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I pretty much play pits only. I play CTF with a few friends, but haven't tried any of the team stuff.

Thanks for the strategies Seth.

BTW, how do you "throw the flag"? I know how to plant the flag so you can shoot, but how do you throw it?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Brook, I could be wrong, but I think "throwing" is when you get near a ledge, and let go of the flag, and it flies outward and off the cliff, hence appearing to be thrown. If a teammate is well-positioned below (i.e. he knows you're going to be throwing it) he can pick it up and run with it.

LATECOMERS PLEASE READ!!!
I've invited just about everyone who has asked, and I'll try to read this thread before tomorrow night, but no guarantees.

If you are a latecomer, just send Bruin96 a friend invite tomorrow night and I'll accept you as a friend and invite you into the game.

Sergey M

Stunt Coordinator
I've been mostly playing Rumble Pit lately. Didn't really get into objective based types of H2 games. I don't know, I'm just used to FFA and TS, and anything other than that confuses the hack out of me (probably cause I haven't played them at all).

If we get to play objective based games, I'll try to tag alone with someone. I'm also hoping we'll get to play some more straight forward games like TS. Or, FFA Rockets only, or sword only should be (mindless) fun too. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sergey, have no fear, we'll be very diverse. Team Slayer, Rockets, Swords, Shotguns, etc. will all find their way into the schedule! :D

FFA would be fun...but fast (unless we up the winning kill count). 16 people in a map would get to 25 kills in about...3 minutes!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Carlo, thanks for the invite, unfortunately I can't make it: Not only I haven't played since december (I am probably gone from friends' lists by now :frowning: ), I just moved to a new apt and won't be connected till sometime next week.

Sorry, and thanks again.

--
H

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
During that huge CTF game, I'm sorry I had to leave guys (if it messed anything up). It's nearing 1:00AM and i have to work early tomorrow. I'm really sorry if I messed anything up.

Otherwise it was extremely fun. Carlo, you need to plan something like this again.

Sergey M

Stunt Coordinator
I've had lots of fun playing with you all last night. Carlo, good job putting it together. Hope we'll do it again soon.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mark, no worries at all, we thought something like that might have happened, and those objective based ones can go on for a long time.

Sergey, I will definitely make this a semi-regular thing (I'll try for at least monthly). And yes, I'll try to make it more east coast friendly next time.

Let's do this again real soon!

James T

Screenwriter

Wussy :) I had to do the same thing as well (I started work @8:30).

Just a quesiton, did you shut off your Xbox instead of hitting the start button, leave game, etc?

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Sat. I hopped online, but the games you guys were playing were Invite only. I tried to send a message to Carlo (is it Carlo or Carlos?) but my xbox has random issues, and I dont think it sent the message before it booted me offline. I got home later that expected from the comedy thing. But next time Ill try to stay up later.

TimG

Second Unit
I had a lot of fun playing Sat. night. Unfortunately I haven't played since Christmas. I think I will change my gamertag to "Speedbump", I bet I got ran over 20 times in the various games we played. :b

Learning the layout of the maps would help also. I am going to have to ramp-up my skills to play with you guys. Definetely felt like a newbie, but I had a blast.

Tim

Gamertag: Coleoptra

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jean, I think your box does have issues, because like every 20 minutes I would send a message to the clan, and I distinctly remember sending you messages so the invite should have been there.

I didn't want to leave the party open because I (and I'm sure a bunch of others) have non-HTF friends who always are up for gaming and just a few of us could have filled up all 16 spots with non-HTF'ers. Your friends can just jump into your party at any time if it's not invite only, hence why I set that.

Tim, speedbump is hilarious, but don't sweat it. I have a "friend" (and I use that term loosely because we all wish he wasn't) whose tag should be "Bulletmagnet" or "HereIAmShootMe" :D

And guys, if you're semi-serious about learning the maps, but don't want to play a bunch of games, the Official Halo 2 Strategy Guide is worth its weight in gold, simply for the multiplayer map layouts (which show you where the weapons are).

Hopefully we'll do this again real soon! :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

No James, I hit start, leave game, then backed all the way out, signed out, then turned off my Xbox. I'm a little paranoid.

Why?

Sergey M

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mark, didn't you say you are unstopable with rockets? :) We should play rockets-only next time / sometimes.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I think he asked because we got one of those "connection lost" screens when you left. No big deal, I think he's just asking out of curiousity. Even though I started the match, maybe you were hosting it (still not 100% sure how that random host stuff from bungie works) and so when you backed out H2 had to hand over host duties to someone else. Who knows?

And yes, we can do rockets for sure next time...although I can almost guarantee I'll come in last! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks