Halo 2, 720P ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonMC, Nov 2, 2002.

1. JasonMC

JasonMC Stunt Coordinator

I just finished reading the rumor mole section of the Official Xbox Magazine. He was talking about how awesome NBA2k3 and Tony Hawk 4 look in 720P.
    He also said, "There's a little game I like to call Halo 2... how would like to play that at 720P... in true widescreen?"

"It also looks like Project Gotham Racing 2, and every major Xbox game in 2003 will be aiming for at least 720P."

Please keep in mind, this came from the Rumor Mole section of OXM, so take it with a grain of salt. Awesome news though if it's true!!!!!!! Now I just need to get a 720P display device.

2. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

Yeah, too bad my 53" Panny HDTV Widescreen doesn't do 720p. I just hope Halo 2 is 16:9. That will make my day, month, and year.

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I hardly doubt any of these games will support 720p. A P3-750 with a geforce 3 running at 720p isn't likely to hold 30 frames-per-second without sacrificing visual details!

I'm sure the developers are playing with it, but I am willing to bet that the feature will be removed before they hit retail. Perhaps the best we can ask for is a hidden menu to enable it though!

4. Romier S

Romier S Producer

5. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Yes the processor inside the XBox is a P3 750 equivalent, but the graphics chip is not a GeForce 3, it is the n30 chip, which is basically the soon to be released GeForce 5.

I understand the logistics of doing 720p are difficult, but using the PC specs for comparison are a little unfair. With the console system it can be programmed to the metal...every last resource in the box can be used. With PC you have to program for several versions of a machine.

The PS2 central processor is only what 233mHz, or was it 450mHz? I cant remember. But a PC with a processor that speed with only 4MB VRAM and 32MB RAM(or close to that) wouldnt have a prayer of running a game like Devil May Cry at any resolution, no matter what Video Card is in it.

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

7. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

The PlayStation 1 was originally released with a polygon count around 350,000, then was bumped up to 500,000, and the bumped up again to almost 1Million. As the SDKs get more refined and developers get more friendly with the systems they will be able to pull off some amazing things with all the systems out there. If you would have shown me shots of The Two Towers on the PS2 I would have guessed it was a gamecube or Xbox game.

8. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

what resolution and color depth on a VGA monitor would 720p be equivalent to?

9. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I think the fact that there are already a few games in 720p is a good sign that that we may see some of the major games support it in the future.
    And I'd like to see more of that much-touted Gamecube "fun-shading"* in future Gamecube software, too. [​IMG]
    -Dan
    *(obscure inside joke from some message board last year)

10. Romier S

Romier S Producer

11. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Thanks Romier. But I remember seeing somewhere that the XBox one was called the n30

12. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

14. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

15. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I don't think color depth is anywhere near as taxing as resolution -at least not anymore.

16. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Almost all GPUs are 32-bit native, as opposed to doing 16-bit and then upsampling to 32-bit.

17. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I think it is possible. For one thing, according to the team at Bungie they have said that the characters and vehicles for Halo 2 actually have fewer polys than Halo. They were able to do this because of the quality of bumbmapping they have been playing with as seen in the Halo2 trailer. This may be one reason why 702p could be an option fo Halo2 if they have to push less polies and bump mapping is basically free.
    I would love to see more games do 720p though. This is good news!

18. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

"Buck Thrustwell," Scott? So far, that's the funniest XBL tag I've seen.

Not to linkjack, but how long will it be until we see a "post the funniest XBL tags you've seen" thread? Maybe ten or so days from now ...

-j

19. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

THis is good - any HDTV support is good - but *man* what am I going to do for my TV? Getting it calibrated (after 2 years) and then thinking anout saving for the house... rats...