What's new

Halloween (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
Well after winning all 8 Halloweens in an auction on ebay last week, i finally got em.

I had never seen the first Halloween and people were telling me that it is the best and all that.

Well i watched it last night and I thought it would have been better. I mean it wasnt bad at all, but i expected more killing and stuff.

What is your opinion on #1 and the rest of the series.

yes i know 3 and 6 suck.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I mean it wasnt bad at all, but i expected more killing and stuff.
That's the reason it is the best. Halloween is a scary suspense film, which pays homage to the works of Alfred Hitchcock. It is not a "splatter" film, like its imitators and most sequels which never understood the difference between gory and scary. I take it you're a gore-hound. The Halloween series is likely not for you.

-Lyle J.P.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
no i am not a gore hound.

i do agree it is suspenseful..........it was a really quiet movie.

i will be watching #2 soon

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I dont know why, I just never thought that Halloween was scary... Even the first time I saw it as a kid, I didnt find it scary... I just found it kind of dull and boring...

Oh well... Cant win them all I guess...

Maybe if I was around in 1978 I would have thought it was scary...

Then again, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Nightmare on Elm Street scared me the first times I saw them years ago, so I dont know... Even movies like Silent Night Deadly Night and F13 Part 4 scared me first seeing them... I think I saw Nightmare on Elm Street when it first came to video... First horror film I ever saw that I can remember...

I dont hate Halloween, but I dont love it either... I just find it mediocre... Probably because I just never got the effect that some of you did from the movie... I guess it was just too late for me by the time I saw it... I didnt see it for the first time until probably 1990... Halloween 4 was the very first one I saw in 1989...

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I like the original Halloween. I, too, saw it as a young child in the 80's, but I did find it somewhat scary. I think that it still works as a supernatural suspense thriller now, but not as an out-right horror like the first Elm Street. If you're turned on by a young Jamie Lee Curtis, then your opinion of this film might be a little more positive. :)

Part 3 is just a horrible, horrible chapter of the Halloween movie franchise. As a stand-alone bad 80s horror movie, it could nearly be considered a classic. I love and hate this film equally.

I enjoyed parts four and five. The little girl is a lot of fun, and added a fun bit of depth to these later sequels. I always thought that she was a better plot device than Freddy's dreamchild in his later sequel.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
In the late 80's the local tv network would show Halloween 2 every October but never the original. So around 8 years ago I rented the original and it scared the crap out of me (it made me scared of the dark again) which wasn't easy since I watched on 10 inch screen tv and in pan and scan. I think I was scared of it since I was brought up on the slasher films of the 80's which had little or no suspense in them and with Halloween I did not know when Myers was going to attack or not plus that ending freaked me out big time!

As for the sequels, I enjoyed most of them (2,3,4,H20), I have never seen all of 6, 5 is tolerable and what I've seen of Resurrection laughed me off of my seat.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The first and best Halloween gave me regular nightmares until well into my teens (in 21 now), and I still have the occasional Michael Myers dream. Not only is Halloween one of the best horror films ever made, but it's one of the best films period.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Let's see...

Halloween :star: :star: :star: :star:
Halloween II :star:
Halloween III :star: :star: :star:
Halloween 4 - haven't seen it
Halloween 5 1/2:star:
Halloween 6 zero:star:
Haven't seen the others and have no plans to.

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
I still do not understand why 6 is so hated. That is my second favorite sequal(besides number 2)....You want to talk about a crappy sequal look at reserection. I also thought Texas Chainsaw is much more slow and boring than Halloween. Don't get me wrong I do like the movie, I just don't think it is what most think it is...

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
All I know is the first time I saw the original Halloween, at the end, whoa...I had goosebumps. Sure I was pretty young, but til this day I haven't been that freaked out watching a movie. Well a close second is "The Thing", but Halloween will always have a special place in my heart.

As far as the rest, not even close to the original. Part II turned more into a splatterfest and was very disappointing for me when I first saw it. 3 and all the rest...including six, where just plain bad. Please stop making these movies!! The last one was so bad it makes me cry! :frowning:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Halloween 8 was pretty bad and it was dissapointing because I had somewhat high hopes for it once I found out the Rick Rosenthal was directing. In some of the promo shots I saw, the Myers house was finally correct which gave me high hopes as well. But when it was discovered that there were catacombs under the house, it was a bit too weird. I thought it might have gone back toward the style of the first 2 movies. Halloween 2, in spite of a few things, was satifying enough, it continued H1 rather seamlessly. The Mask looked similar enough (A detail that is crucial. I don't know why they can't get some designer to craft a mask that looks like the original)

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
well i just got done watching #2 and i thought it was pretty suspenseful.

the only thing i didnt like about it is it was not in DD 5.1

i also read that #2 was released on DVD October 7, 2003

anyone clear this matter for me?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Halloween 2 did have a few tense moments, mainly in the climax as he is pursuing Jamie Lee. Halloween II was released years ago on DVD by Goodtimes, a couple of years later, Universal got the rights back and released their own version.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
does anyone know the difference between the 2 versions?

i have the goodtimes one and was wondering if the universal was any better and maybe in DD 5.1?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The Universal release has an anamorphic transfer. It wasn't released on Oct 7, it only had a price drop.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I really only like the first 2, which are creepy and suspenseful to me. I don't know why I like them, but it could be something about an escaped murderous mental patient that is unstoppable that drew me in. I still need to get part 2 on DVD.

Ken Bentley

Second Unit
i loved all 8 films... they all had there own.. twist to them... i give them all :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Halloween 2 is okay, I guess, but it cruicially lacks the elegant, economic style of the original. The Shape/Michael Myers was not played by the great Nick Castle in the sequel, and it shows.

The rest of the sequels are so pointless, they just suck all the mystery out of the original, which really is just a one-shot stand-alone movie, and on it's own terms is a genuine classic in the genre.

Gordy

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Halloween 2 is okay, I guess, but it cruicially lacks the elegant, economic style of the original. The Shape/Michael Myers was not played by the great Nick Castle in the sequel, and it shows.
My favorite thing about #2 is the opening - particularly the first 15 min. or so as the film picks up right after #1 and we roam around the back yards of Haddonfield. Great stuff!

Once we get to the hospital, the story loses its momentum, IMHO.

My $.02,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks