What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
The Shape, the stoic, masked figure at the core of Halloween, has been haunting our Halloweens for 35 years, appearing in countless lesser sequels, a dispiriting remake, and its sequel, but John Carpenter’s original, masterful classic of horror remains firmly entrenched as a formative work. The independent production and remarkably modest budget were embraced by relative newcomer John Carpenter, who displays a confident directorial hand, with nods from time to time toward Hitchcock and other great directors before him, creating an atmospheric and deeply effective horror film.
I had the opportunity to review Anchor Bay’s 35th Anniversary Edition and noted that it would likely not be the last say on the matter. I’m glad to say it wasn’t as the new 4K UHD release is very, very good (and by all accounts appears to leverage the previously new transfer supervised and approved by the film’s Director of Photography, Dean Cundey.

Disc Information...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Great review Neil. :thumbsup:

Just watched this the other night and damn does it hold up well. The perfect film to start and end the Halloween season.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Picked this up last week and watched this Friday evening. Still effective and creepy. I was careful of every shadow as I made my way to the bedroom to sleep.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Neil Middlemiss submitted a new blog post

Halloween UHD Review
halloween-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.
I concur with your fine review.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this tonight in UHD, and the film's staging and pacing still hold up after all these years. Despite knowing the jump scares and other shock moments, it's still effectively creepy. I must confess to really liking the 7.1 surround track. With this kind of eeriness amid lots of deep shadows, I loved being enveloped with sound even if it isn't true to the original presentation. (I wish I could say I was too young to have seen it originally, but it would be a miserable fib.)

Good job, Neil!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched this tonight in UHD, and the film's staging and pacing still hold up after all these years. Despite knowing the jump scares and other shock moments, it's still effectively creepy. I must confess to really liking the 7.1 surround track. With this kind of eeriness amid lots of deep shadows, I loved being enveloped with sound even if it isn't true to the original presentation. (I wish I could say I was too young to have seen it originally, but it would be a miserable fib.)

Good job, Neil!
Same here, the audio presentation really stood out for me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I almost always stick with the original audio track on all movies but I've seen/heard Halloween so many times that a remix sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I realize that I'm in an extreme minority so I understand why others might enjoy it.

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Will definitely be picking this one up as it's one of my favorites. I saw this at the theater when it first screened in 78' and was shocked to recognize most of the locations were within a mile of my apartment in North Alhambra. Although I've long since moved out of the area, I've driven by them many times since and I still get the creeps to this day...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I finally got a chance to watch this last night. I get bit sad when I buy a movie 10 or more times(yes, this is one of them) but I promise you this will be the last time I buy this title as it is perfection. It can't get any better.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Ordered Halloween on 4K Blu-ray along with 5 other movies and Halloween arrived the following day. Have not seen this movie in some time so I have a feeling it will be a real treat seeing it again but on 4K Blu-ray! Can not wait to see it on Tuesday!

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Odd man out here. I projected my Super 8 Scope feature of Halloween on the night and still fun to view with that anamorphic lens in place.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Finally got around to watching this title today and enjoyed the movie. Not only is it a good movie but I would say that anyone into horror who has a 4K player and display should make it a point to purchase this movie on 4K. Not only does it look fantastic but sounds excellent as well. I have never seen it look so good or sound so good on home video! This movie really does hold up and stood the test of time and is just as good today as it was back when it came out.

20181101_193408a.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks