What's new

Halloween theatrical cut v. Halloween TV cut! (1 Viewer)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I tried a search function, but I can't find the answer to this. I know it's probably been discussed. What are the main differences between the theatrical cut of Halloween, and the television cut that has material added in? Can someone give me an overview of what those scenes are?
Also, I purchased the THX certified Halloween tonight, the theatrical cut version from Anchor Bay, with the new Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack and anamorphic widescreen. The transfer and the DD track are amazing. But obviouslt the Limited edition with both versions are out of print. To someone who knows, is it worth it to go ahead and by the Restored TV cut of the film to go along with the THX theatrical cut I have now, ir is there not much difference? My understanding is you can basically get the Limited Edition, but you'd just have to buy the THX theatrical cut DVD, and the Restored Television Cut. Is this correct, and is it worth it? Thanks.:emoji_thumbsup:

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I found out at DVDfile what scenes were added in the TV version, mainly because TV editors wanted some scenes cut from the theatrical version, and because of that, the movie wound up being too short for TV. However, they say the DVD includes everything from the theatrical cut, plus the added 12 minutes that was added for TV, plus it's in widescreen anamorphic with 5.1 track.
Now my only question that needs answering is, do you think it's worth it to buy that second DVD containing the TV cut? What do you think? My purchase rides on your recommendations.:emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The TV cut is not the version that John Carpenter intended people to see. I can see no reason to want such a disc unless you are a collector who just wants to own it for the sake of owning it.

I originally got the 2 disc set not really paying much attention. If I had looked better I would of just gotten the single disc Theatrical version. IMHO the TV cut is NOT worth 2 cents. Of course I also feel that the 5.1 mix is an abomination from hell and that anyone wanting to view the film in it's proper format would not dream of listening to any other way than in it original mono track which thankfully Anchor bay have included. What Anchor Bay should have done was just include the 12 minutes of TV footage in a supplements section of the Theatrical Disc. I'm only holding onto the 2 disc set, to see if the prices on e-Bay ever go up.

The disc you now own is the good one.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I'm not a fan of the TV version, as it introduces the sibling elements from the sequel that (at least for me) has a very negative impact on the effectiveness of the original. The extra scenes are largely clunky and kill some of the mystique surrounding Michael Myers.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Adam and Brian. Anyone with an opposing view. Adam and Brian were pretty persuasive. By the way, nice DVD collection you got there Adam. You too Brian. You guys have been at this DVD collecting far longer than I have. Great stuff there.

As for the 5.1, I would normally agree with you Brian, until I listened to Halloween and Superman. The 5.1s are great. And while I always want original content on DVD, I can't seem to go back to original surround tracks, when there is an awesome 5.1 track.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I have the Limited Edition and don't believe the TV cut is in 5.1, but it is anamorphic.

The TV cut is a nice curiosity piece. If you're a big fan of the film its nice to have, but I never watch it all the way through. I wouldn't get rid of it though, either.

And I think the Halloween 5.1 is one of the more tastefully rechanneled soundtracks out there. I haven't noticed any 'new effects' like in Jaws or Terminator (which I can't watch in 5.1, only mono).

So, I guess if you have the cash and want to make a nice set, go ahead. But if you're going without something else, forget about it.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, I wanted the Limited Edition 2-disc set. But since finding it new would be next to impossible since it's OOP, I'll just forego the Restored TV cut, and stick with the excellent SE that I currently have. Thanks fellas.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks