Halloween Theater Release Petition & Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles Bober, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Charles Bober

Charles Bober Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine, a huge Halloween freak, started a petition asking for the re-release of the original Halloween to theaters. For those who would like to lend their support (no how futile it may seem), please sign: Halloween Re-release Petition.
    The question I have is my friend names Anchor Bay in the petition and I thought they were just the home video distributor. Unfortunately he published this petition before I could doublecheck the facts. So I'm asking all my HTF compadres for your help in this matter. Does Anchor Bay own the film for a re-release to the theaters or just home video rights?
    Thanks in advance. Any and all Halloween correspondence is welcomed.

2. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Charles,
    I don't believe that Anchor Bay is a film distributor, and most likely the film is under a different film distributor now (for all I know, New Line owns it!). Also, there's the question if you want to find an existing 35mm print of the film for a revival screening, or if you want a negative restruck and an actual wide or limited re-release done. I'd say it would be a smart thing to do a rerelase NEXT year for its 25th anniversary.
    Still, I'm curious as well as to who the current distributor is. You may want to talk to a manager at an independent theater (unless you know someone at a major) to make a few calls. [​IMG]
    Jason

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I must say...since it came out before I was born, it would be kewl to see Halloween on the big screen. Keep us posted.

4. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

Anchor Bay is a film distributor, but in a limited capacity. Anchor Bay was responsible for a special screening a couple of years back at L.A.'s Egyptian Theatre to promote a video re-release of the film. It was a newly struck 35MM print with remixed stereo sound.

Hope that answers your queries.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

The original distributor was Compass International. I think the rights are currently held by Trancas International Films.

6. Charles Bober

Charles Bober Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys for the replies.