What's new

Halloween Theater Release Petition & Question (1 Viewer)

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine, a huge Halloween freak, started a petition asking for the re-release of the original Halloween to theaters. For those who would like to lend their support (no how futile it may seem), please sign: Halloween Re-release Petition.
The question I have is my friend names Anchor Bay in the petition and I thought they were just the home video distributor. Unfortunately he published this petition before I could doublecheck the facts. So I'm asking all my HTF compadres for your help in this matter. Does Anchor Bay own the film for a re-release to the theaters or just home video rights?
Thanks in advance. Any and all Halloween correspondence is welcomed.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Charles,
I don't believe that Anchor Bay is a film distributor, and most likely the film is under a different film distributor now (for all I know, New Line owns it!). Also, there's the question if you want to find an existing 35mm print of the film for a revival screening, or if you want a negative restruck and an actual wide or limited re-release done. I'd say it would be a smart thing to do a rerelase NEXT year for its 25th anniversary.
Still, I'm curious as well as to who the current distributor is. You may want to talk to a manager at an independent theater (unless you know someone at a major) to make a few calls. :)
Jason

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I must say...since it came out before I was born, it would be kewl to see Halloween on the big screen. Keep us posted.

Jo_C

Second Unit
Anchor Bay is a film distributor, but in a limited capacity. Anchor Bay was responsible for a special screening a couple of years back at L.A.'s Egyptian Theatre to promote a video re-release of the film. It was a newly struck 35MM print with remixed stereo sound.

Hope that answers your queries.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
The original distributor was Compass International. I think the rights are currently held by Trancas International Films.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for the replies.

I'd say it would be a smart thing to do a re-release NEXT year for its 25th anniversary.
Actually, that's exactly what I was thinking. I wish I knew a manager at any theater but unfortunately I do not. That's why I asked you guys for help.

Anyone with new info, please pass it along. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks