What's new

Halloween 2018 (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just want one thing:
The atmosphere, and foreboding sense of danger of the original film.
Something I haven't seen in a Halloween film since the original(ok, the hospital chase with Michael/Laurie In 2 was pretty darn good).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Question: I saw the original Halloween on VHS as a teenager, and was underwhelmed. I haven't revisited it since. As an adult, I saw the Rob Zombie version when it came out and really liked it. Am I a monster?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Question: I saw the original Halloween on VHS as a teenager, and was underwhelmed. I haven't revisited it since. As an adult, I saw the Rob Zombie version when it came out and really liked it. Am I a monster?
Yes. :) I love the original Halloween but unlike a lot of old time-y fans, I don't hate the remake (the first hour is pretty good and then it goes downhill for me).

I will say that you may want to see the original again if only to see it in its correct aspect ratio. Carpenter knows how to shoot a widescreen movie so there's a big difference between seeing Halloween in pan and scan and seeing it in widescreen.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I will say that you may want to see the original again if only to see it in its correct aspect ratio. Carpenter knows how to shoot a widescreen movie so there's a big difference between seeing Halloween in pan and scan and seeing it in widescreen.

I've been meaning to for a while - I think you're absolutely right about that. Escape From New York felt like a totally different experience when I finally saw it on DVD after growing up with the VHS tape.

I don't hate the remake (the first hour is pretty good and then it goes downhill for me).

I don't remember it scene by scene since I only saw it once, but that was my general impression too. Really creepy, involving setup, less interesting when it came to just picking off random teenagers one at a time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've been meaning to for a while - I think you're absolutely right about that. Escape From New York felt like a totally different experience when I finally saw it on DVD after growing up with the VHS tape.
I remember in the mid to late 90's when I would get Carpenter laserdiscs & eventually DVDs and me & my friends would be floored by how much of a difference there was. Between the old Carpenter movies, Jaws and Star Wars, it was like I was getting to experience all of my favorite movies in a new and better way.

I don't remember it scene by scene since I only saw it once, but that was my general impression too. Really creepy, involving setup, less interesting when it came to just picking off random teenagers one at a time.
And I love the standard stalk and slash stuff so that part should have been shooting fish in a barrel to entertain me but it was too brutal and gross for my tastes. That being said, the first Rob Zombie movie definitely has a fan base.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That being said, the first Rob Zombie movie definitely has a fan base.

I found the second one to be massively disappointing, but I only saw it in theaters. It seems the version on BD is substantially longer, and I wonder if it improves the film any. On the other hand, I only ever saw the unrated/extended version of the first movie, since that's the one that was on the disc I rented.

I will add the original Halloween back onto my list of things to rewatch!

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Full disclosure:
My favorite was Halloween (original) followed by H4, H2 and H20. I won't watch anything else in the franchise. The Zombie remakes IMO were garbage.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I found the second one to be massively disappointing, but I only saw it in theaters.
I liked the girls that hung out in the record store in Halloween II and that was about the only decent thing in that movie. For what it's worth, it sounds like Zombie got the shaft from Dimension on the budget based on what the cast and even Zombie were saying at the time.

Full disclosure:
My favorite was Halloween (original) followed by H4, H2 and H20. I won't watch anything else in the franchise. The Zombie remakes IMO were garbage.
Halloween II (1981) is my favorite of thee sequels but Halloween 4 is a really good one too. I've found a weird soft spot for the lousy Curse Of Michael Myers over the years but I still can't stand H20 (sorry, Jamie Lee, I love you anyway). I've been saying it for almost 20 years but Halloween III is a cool dark movie despite the lack of Michael Myers.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I guess Laurie and Michael are truly related as they both can't seem to be killed.

I been hearing that again they are going to ignore everything that happened after II again. If true it would be the second soft reboot with JLC. Guess it doesn't really matter much considering all the wacky directions the franchise has already gone through.

Eh, just get the damn mask right. Oh and you should never be able to see Michael's eyes through the mask.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm okay with this. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

Skipping HALLOWEEN II is interesting but I'm looking forward to what they do with it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Halloween II so I'm bummed to see that one go but H20 and Resurrection already tossed 4, 5 and Curse and the Zombie remakes tossed all of them so it's tough to get that worried about continuity with this one. Just make a good movie and I'll be more than happy.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I like H2 but it really did mess with the story of the first film. Someone joked that after STAR WARS everyone had to be related. As someone said, H2 does work as an "end all" to the series. I mean, Myers eyes are shot out and we see him roasting. Of course with horror movies they can always bring someone back.

I just wish Carpenter would get into the director's chair one last time. He hated how H2 turned out so I'm not shocked to see them skip it.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It'll be interesting to see where it goes.

I mean, H20 pretty much showed Laurie as she struggled trying to move on from the events of the first films. They obviously can't try this again. So basically you have the first film when the Shape missing, Laurie crying and that's it. On to this film.

I love this series, the sequels and so on but the ending to the first HALLOWEEN was so perfect. Just imagine if there hadn't been any sequels. Just the idea of the Shape, killing for no reason, still out there somewhere.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
http://ew.com/movies/2018/04/19/halloween-poster-michael-myers/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks