What's new

"Halloween" producer Debra Hill dead at the age of 54... (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
The story is here.

She produced some of the most entertaining movies of the 70s and 80s, including the aforementioned "Halloween" plus "The Fog", "Escape From New York", "The Dead Zone", "Adventures In Babysitting" and "The Fisher King". She also produced "The Lottery", the short Bette Midler film that could be seen at the Disney-MGM Studios on one of their backlot tours.

She was one of the best female producers in the biz, and she will be much missed.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I'll watch my copy of "Halloween" in memory of her.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
...damn.

I was just looking through some photo's of the production of The Fog last week in an old Fangoria mag and I remarked to someone that Debra was a rather attractive gal in her day.....too young indeed. R.I.P.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Dammit this is a blow to cinema. To me Debra Hill will always be synonymous with John Carpenter. I still have a few issues of Starlog and Fangoria from the early 80's with Debra's beautiful face in it. Whether it was an article about Escape from New York, Halloween 2, or The Fog.

Fuck now I'm depressed.

Rest in peace, Debra. :frowning:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Damn, that's really sad. I really liked listening to her thoughts on interviews and commentaries. I too did not know she was battling cancer.

You will be missed.

RIP.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
As a female fan of horror movies, I admired Hill for being one of the few significant behind-the-camera talents in the world of horror films. She seemed to be a good influence on Carpenter, as they made some great films together. A real shame.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Ironic that he's got to be the biggest smoker on the planet and it's his longtime partner who dies of cancer. Very weird how these things work sometimes.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Halloween was one of the biggest influences on me as a lover of horror and film, and Debra's signature is very much on the films she was involved in. We woudn't have the authentic banter between Laurie and her friends in the film if it weren't for Debra.

This sucks so bad.

R.I.P. Debra Hill. :frowning:

Maybe this will inspire John to quit smoking, who knows.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know she was fighting cancer either. I was shocked to read the news. At that age, still plenty of good work left in her I'm sure.

Just a real shame.

And here she was working on The Fog remake with JC as producers.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
For some reason, this news escaped me and I only found out about it today. Very, very sad. Judging from interviews I have seen and from her commentaries on Halloween and The Fog, she seemed a really positive and friendly person and, as noted, she was one of the first successful female producers in Hollywood and she proved a lot of bigshots wrong.

Carpenter himself is in very poor health these days. He was working on a TV series called Masters of Horror with Larry Cohen, but he had to quit. I don't think he's near death, but I doubt he'll ever make another feature film again, which is a real shame, because he is a great filmmaker and one of my Heroes of Cinema.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That's horrible news about Carpenter, Gordon. He's one of my five favorite directors of all time.

I thought he sounded okay on the Christine commentary, and I know that was recorded within the last year or so. I hope he get's better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks