What's new

HALLOWEEN II & III ARE COMING TO BLU (There Is, However, Bad News) (1 Viewer)

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Kinda feel torn about this one. While it is inexcusable to not have proper credits... and this is their error... I can see Universal throwing up their hands at this point. "Bob... we barely released this title anyway (judging by availability) and now we have to deal with this headache? NO MORE NICHE MARKET CATALOG TITLES EVER!!"

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
What did everyone feel about TERROR IN THE AISLES? Did you like it? I booked it in many Drive-Ins when it came out and it did amazing business. Of course I tripled featured it with Carrie and Fun House. Paid 35% to Universal for TERROR, $50 bucks for Carrie and Fun House and did over an average of $6,000 in Box office Fri-Sat-Sun. Those were the days. The hard-tops did pretty good business with it also. Th

This really is a great bargain with HALLOWEEN II and TERROR IN THE AISLES on the same disc. A no-brainier if ever there was one.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
ahollis said:
What did everyone fell about TERROR IN THE AISLES? Did you like it?
I grew up loving Halloween, Halloween II and horror movies in general so having Donald Pleasence host a movie with clips from horror movies was right up my alley when I saw it when I was probably about 8 or 9. So it was great to see it again. However, I have to wonder why this movie was even made. A movie made up of clips from other movies? Based upon what you say, people wanted to see it but I just find it odd that people had the ability to see many of these movies in their entirety (VHS and cable were fairly standard by 1984) and they would still choose to see them as a part of a highlight reel.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Between TERROR IN THE AISLES and IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD they must of been looking for a clip film trend. There was a third one from around this time too, but I'm completely drawing a blank.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
At that time the Horror movie was between being scary and slasher. The gore was just starting to cover the screen and while VHS was starting to be popular it was still in it's infancy and the film did exactly what Universal wanted it to do. Increase sales of their titles on VHS. To keep it from being exactly want they wanted to be, an ad for their VHS titles, they include other companies film clips. Which is why they did not have a lot of trouble getting clearances for the films included, as always a short clip is just an ad.

I love this film, no mater what.

The Drive-In success was basically that it was triple feature, three pictures for the price of one. Carrie and Fun House had and still does have a great following and there is nothing like a hot girlfriend and three scary films in a car, just the two of you. Carrie played first, then Terror In The Aisles, and by the time Fun House started the two of you were in the back seat. The hard-top high grosses always baffled me, but it was a time when people were a little nostalgic, even at that time and needed a scary film for Halloween that year. In October 1984 this was the only picture that had horror overtones. Little Drummer Girl, The Terminator, Garbo Talks, Crimes of Passion, Body Double, Thief of Hearts, and First Born were just a few of the the titles released that month. Terror grossed over $8 million that month, and only Thief of Hearts, Body Double, and Terminator out grossed it. With Terminator not even being close, while the other two were with in a couple of hundred thousand.

By the way Halloween ll did over 25 million in the box office in 1981, with only 24 films, out of hundreds, that year out grossing it, including Tarzan, The Ape Man, Reds, Fort Apache The Bronx, Absence of Malice, On Golden Pond, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Superman II and Stripes being just a few title that did.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
You also have THE BEST OF SEX AND VIOLENCE with John Carradine hosting (and his sons showing up in a funny cameo). I think producer's were just finding ANY way to cash in on horror movies. Of course, it also gave horror fans a chance to see clips and then they could go out and rent the actual films.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Russell G

Between TERROR IN THE AISLES and IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD they must of been looking for a clip film trend. There was a third one from around this time too, but I'm completely drawing a blank.

It all started with THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT (1974) and continued with THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT II (1976). But I guess you could really say it was with Robert Youngston's films of the silent clips with narration.

I actually think that TERROR IN THE AISLES was such a success because there was not another horror film out in October and that most the clips were of the 60's & 70's and were nostalgic to the audience.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Russell G

THAT'S DANCING was released in 1985, was that the one you were thinking of?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by ahollis

THAT'S DANCING was released in 1985, was that the one you were thinking of?

I do remember that one, but no. I seem to think there was a clip movie that was very much like "It Came From Hollywood" with comedians making fun of clips, but not as funny and more Sci-Fi then cheap-o monster movie. I think it took place in a garbage dump? I thought it had Garrette Morris from SNL in it, but it's not on his IMDB page. It's been ages since I saw it on video, it might of been a video only thing. I remember it at my dads video store when I was a kid.

I could be imagining it too. Been a lot of years and a lot of movies since the time I think I saw it. :S

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Originally Posted by TravisR

...However, I have to wonder why this movie was even made. A movie made up of clips from other movies? Based upon what you say, people wanted to see it but I just find it odd that people had the ability to see many of these movies in their entirety (VHS and cable were fairly standard by 1984) and they would still choose to see them as a part of a highlight reel.

I know what you mean: I normally hate "movie clip documentaries," but for some reason I love "That's Entertainment," which includes many clips of films not released on home video, let alone in HD, so the blu-ray of that boxed set is a treasure trove of content IMHO. And there's the nostalgia factor, which cannot be underestimated.

As far as Terror In The Aisles - if it had been presented in SD on the Halloween II blu-ray I would have probably agreed it was a waste of space, but it was a real hoot to see films not yet on blu-ray (and some not likely to arrive on blu) in 1080p HD. I really had a good time with it.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I like to nitpick. It's fun. I'd like Universal to: -Use the original poster artwork whenever possible. -Use logos that were in use at the time the film was made. -Clean the film up a little (just a little. Halloween II doesn't need an 8K transfer :)). It would be great if the words "high definition" really meant high definition, not " better than DVD". -If the people who made the film are willing to cooperate with bonus materials and aren't asking to be paid many millions of dollars for doing so, please, let them participate. That's all for now.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Nostalgia does play a hand as I can remember TITA being in constant loop while waiting in line for several haunted houses in the mid to late 80s. Fun to watch while waiting to be scared. Watched this last night and didn't recognize a few clips. One involves a pretty brunette popping up into frame spookily with a scared look on her face. Using the list of films I narrowed it down to CAT PEOPLE I think. Anyone know if I'm right?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Very short hair? I haven't seen TITA since cable as a kid, so I wouldn't know off hand. http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=608&q=natasha+kinski+cat+people&gbv=2&oq=natasha+kinski+cat+people&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=67l7780l0l8230l24l14l0l10l10l0l2805l6581l4-1.8-2.1l4l0

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Originally Posted by Anthony_H

Nostalgia does play a hand as I can remember TITA being in constant loop while waiting in line for several haunted houses in the mid to late 80s. Fun to watch while waiting to be scared. Watched this last night and didn't recognize a few clips. One involves a pretty brunette popping up into frame spookily with a scared look on her face. Using the list of films I narrowed it down to CAT PEOPLE I think. Anyone know if I'm right?

I think you're referring to F13 pt. 2 when Terry is in her cabin and pops up into frame.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Felix Martinez said:
I think you're referring to F13 pt. 2 when Terry is in her cabin and pops up into frame.

Yeah, if the clip that Anthony is talking about is right near the beginning (maybe just as the opening credits are starting), that's Friday The 13th Part 2. That chick gets naked in the movie too.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
It was Friday 13th Part 2... thanks guys. I have a copy and didnt remember the scene... however.. I do remember the nakidity...

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by ahollis Sorry I think I am just Star Wars out.

It does irritate me slightly, but not too much. I'm just glad it's being released with a better looking picture. I can remember when Halloween (1978) and Halloween II (1981) were released on a double feature VHS by MIA. You could tell even on VHS how sharper the picture was for the former compared to the latter. The first Halloween has been shown on a fair few UK terrestrial and satellite channels (a few BBC channels and ITV (who showed a nice crisp, gritty looking print). Halloween II meanwhile, hasn't been shown that much, just on BBC1 and Sci-Fi (before it's name was changed to SyFy). It's print looked like it had been dipped in a vat of moist, green moss (in the darker scenes). On recent screenings on BBC1, two logos have been shown before Mr. Sandman by The Chordettes starts playing, the Lionsgate and then the Universal one.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by ahollis

What did everyone feel about TERROR IN THE AISLES? Did you like it? I booked it in many Drive-Ins when it came out and it did amazing business. Of course I tripled featured it with Carrie and Fun House. Paid 35% to Universal for TERROR, $50 bucks for Carrie and Fun House and did over an average of $6,000 in Box office Fri-Sat-Sun. Those were the days. The hard-tops did pretty good business with it also. Th

This really is a great bargain with HALLOWEEN II and TERROR IN THE AISLES on the same disc. A no-brainier if ever there was one.

Haven't watched Terror in the Aisles, but plan to watch it sometime closer to Hallowe'en, which is what I'm doing with the Blu-ray version of Halloween II (watching it as a double bill with Halloween back-to-back).

Something fascinating with Drive-ins. Never been to one myself.

Now that's a nice return back for that triple feature.

I was hoping for a two or three-disc set of Halloween II, but this Blu-ray release with Terror in the Aisles (and this is a cliche) is the next best thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks