What's new

Halloween I & II (1 Viewer)

Rajvir

Agent
I want to buy a copy of John Carpenter's Halloween on Dvd but I'm surprised that there are 2-3 copies out there. I want to buy the Limited edition (one with both the theatrical and tv cuts) but I think that will be a little hard to find :frowning:. So, which version should I buy? the 25th Anniversary edition? or the 1999 Anchor Bay release? I have heard mixed things and have been told that the 1999 edition has the better image quality, I have read on the net that the 25th Anniversary edition has a sharper image but the blue colours are totally lacking and therefore take away from the film. Also, is there any truth that Halloween II might be re-released in a special edition? I really enjoy Halloween 2 and am thinking of purchasing the bare-bones disc that is out now. I hope you guys can help me out.

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure about part II, but you got it right concerning Halloween. The 25th anniversary edition is sharper but it loses the blue tint at night and some yellow/orange tints during the day scenes, so the grass looks more green. There is no definitive answer, some people prefer the Anchor Bay, others like the 25th better.

There are a few long threads on this subject if you search for them.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Halloween 2 from Universal is anamorphic & better than the Goodtimes release. I like the divimax Halloween better but own both releases.

Rajvir

Agent
Thanks guys, however, it doesn't improve my situation any, lol. Arnie, you say that you like the Divimax version better and my friend tells me that the Anchor Bay edition is better. I guess I'll just have to buy one or the other. You say that you own both editions and I've read that the blue tones are missing off the 25th anniversary edition, but they don't take away from the film then? I dont post often on this site because my questions are always answered in other posts. But, I can't believe how quickly I'm getting responses, this is great!!! Also regarding the Goodtimes Halloween II and the Universal editions. What cover art is featured on the better Universal edition?

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
I haven't seen Halloween enough to really notice any changes with the colours in the Divimax version but I thought the film still worked fine. It's still frightening. It is obivious that it wasn't filmed at Halloween time because the grass is still very green with some dried leaves thrown here and there but that really minor. The extras are really good too. If you memorized every frame of the film and will be able to notice any changes and if that will bother you go with the older disc. If you won't notice it or it won't bother you or you value extra's go with the Divimax version.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'd say go for the 25th anniversary edition. The color timing has been changed, but some here claim that the new color timing is more representative of the theatrical prints. I have not seen a definitave answer though. The 25th anniversary edition included the fairly legendary commentary ported over from the Criterion laserdisc that features John Carpenter, Debra Hill and Jamie Lee Curtis. Definately is intereting. It also has an approx 80 minute documentary (AMC Backstory) there are a few other minor features as well (Trailers, Photo Gallery). As for Halloween II, it is rumored that Universal was planning on doing a special edition but then dropped that plan. There were rumors awhile back that Anchor Bay wanted to license it from Universal to do a special edition, but that does not look like it will happen anytime soon. I have the GoodTimes one. It's not bad although it is non-anamorphic. But if you can find it used somewhere you can probably get it for under $10 (I think Universal is still charging full price for their version)

Rajvir

Agent
So far you guys are making me lean towards the 25th Anniversary edition. I want to buy this disc tomorrow and will see if I can find it. I agree that the John Carpenter commentary would be an added bonus. The extras on the disc would be great too, however, The blue-ish, red-ish tint are fairly evident on my old vhs copy and I thought that is how Carpenter originally intended it??

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Well, as said above, this has been up for debate. I guess only Carpenter could set this straight.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
It's not up for debate at all. The THX Anchor Bay release from a few years ago was personally supervised by HALLOWEEN cinematographer Dean Cundy, and the image was carefully color-timed by him to achieve the correct look of the film. The DiviMax 25th Anniversary Edition (BTW, these are BOTH Anchor Bay releases- some others in this thread have been calling the 1999 release "the Anchor Bay" and the new one "the DiviMax" as if they're two different companies, they are not- DiviMax is a special line of Anchor Bay DVDs, kind of like Columbia and their Super-Bits) may look sharper, but the color scheme is completely wrong. The funny thing is, you can see some of the correct color tones on the documentary on the 25th Anniversary Edition, since it seems they used the correctly-timed, Dean Cundy-supervised transfer to grab clips from the film from for that doc.

Vincent

Rajvir

Agent
I am the type of guy who likes the sharp crisp image, however, in some movies the grain and not so sharp image add to the film. For example, Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one disturbing film and I think the grain really adds to that film. However, take a look at this: dvdfile.com/interactive/drive_in/galleries/halloween.htm and click on screenshot #3. The image on the right looks so much better. But then again, I guess you guys would disagree as to which image is better for the atmosphere of the film, lol. I'd buy both copies if I had the money, but I think there is no point. I'm just too bloody picky I guess.

Rajvir

Agent
dvdfile.com/interactive/drive_in/galleries/halloween.html, my previous post was missing a letter to the link.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

I WILL debate it. The Divimax disc is far more detailed, has more natural fleshtones, way more shadow detail, and looks closer to what the film has always looked like on various 35mm prints I've seen, not to mention every video release before the THX disc in 1999.

There is no doubt that the color timing on the 1999 disc is what Dean Cundey prefers, but that one thing alone does not automatically make the THX disc superior in every way.

I own both, but I watch the Divimax one.

-Lyle J.P.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I own and enjoy the Divimax edition, as well as the Extended Edition (disk 2 of the SE) This way I get both cuts and some cool extras without forking out bucks for the LE. Also If I want the Cundey approved color timing, I have the Ext Ed. If I want a sharper image I go with the Divimax. Personally I think I'll get more use out of the Divimax.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Universal's Halloween 2 has a black & white Michael mask w/Jamie Lee's face in the eye socket..:eek:

DDD has is for $9.35

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I prefer the 1999 2 disc LE but I own both. I like having all the extras as Im a huge fan. I think the 25th anni Divimax is too damn bright and I hate the color timing on the new one.

Arnie,
Thanks for the DDD price listing for H2. I need to rebuy that title. I sold the old Goodtimes disc hoping to upgrade but never got around to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks