What's new

Halloween DVD's... (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
What are the chances that we'll ever see a box-set collection in the next couple of years?

Being a completist and obsessive collector, I've been holding off on the current releases in hopes that they might come packaged as a complete collection some day but I understand that different studios license the various films and I'm just wondering what the potential is for them to strike a deal and put out a definitive collection?

I really want to pick these movies up, but can't afford to double-dip on so many DVD's all at once if they were to be revisited...

What are the chances that a box-set will be released and should I just go for the current releases or is there some possibility?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
What are the chances that we'll ever see a box-set collection in the next couple of years?

Being a completist and obsessive collector, I've been holding off on the current releases in hopes that they might come packaged as a complete collection some day but I understand that different studios license the various films and I'm just wondering what the potential is for them to strike a deal and put out a definitive collection?

I really want to pick these movies up, but can't afford to double-dip on so many DVD's all at once if they were to be revisited...

What are the chances that a box-set will be released and should I just go for the current releases or is there some possibility?

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I don't think a box set will be likely.

I'm just hoping for Anchor Bay to get the rights to release the original version of Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (since it isn't likely that Dimension will ever release the original cut at least anytime soon). The original cut is a totally different movie (and my favorite of the two versions of Halloween 6) with 45 minutes of footage never seen in the final version and a different ending. Both movies are about the same length which means half of the movie was reshot and rewritten.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I don't think a box set will be likely.

I'm just hoping for Anchor Bay to get the rights to release the original version of Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (since it isn't likely that Dimension will ever release the original cut at least anytime soon). The original cut is a totally different movie (and my favorite of the two versions of Halloween 6) with 45 minutes of footage never seen in the final version and a different ending. Both movies are about the same length which means half of the movie was reshot and rewritten.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
Not likely. With three studios owning the DVD distribution rights, (Anchor Bay - 1, 4, and 5, Universal - 2 and 3, and Disney/Buena Vista/Dimension/Miramax - 6, 7, and 8) I don't ever see it happening.

I'd be happy if we could just get 16:9 re-releases of 6 and 7.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
Not likely. With three studios owning the DVD distribution rights, (Anchor Bay - 1, 4, and 5, Universal - 2 and 3, and Disney/Buena Vista/Dimension/Miramax - 6, 7, and 8) I don't ever see it happening.

I'd be happy if we could just get 16:9 re-releases of 6 and 7.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Is series the divided exclusively between Anchor Bay, Universal and Dimension, or are there any others as well?

Also, do you know what the difference between AB's Halloween 4 Limited Ed. and regular release were? I only see specs listed for the regular release... a 17 minute documentary by Mark Cerulli and theatrical trailers. I can't find details pertaining to the limited ed. though.

Why do you say that a box-set is unlikely, you don't think the studios would agree to come together or license their films out to make it happen?

Should I go for the current releases, how's the video quality on these discs apart from the Halloween Divimax?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Is series the divided exclusively between Anchor Bay, Universal and Dimension, or are there any others as well?

Also, do you know what the difference between AB's Halloween 4 Limited Ed. and regular release were? I only see specs listed for the regular release... a 17 minute documentary by Mark Cerulli and theatrical trailers. I can't find details pertaining to the limited ed. though.

Why do you say that a box-set is unlikely, you don't think the studios would agree to come together or license their films out to make it happen?

Should I go for the current releases, how's the video quality on these discs apart from the Halloween Divimax?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Ignore the first and last (second-to-last) part of my question... Scott got his message in while I was posting.

:}

Thanks for the info...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Ignore the first and last (second-to-last) part of my question... Scott got his message in while I was posting.

:}

Thanks for the info...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

The only difference is the packaging. The LE comes in a tin. I picked it up for 12.99 at BB once (don't know why it was marked so low), but if you aren't looking to collect the tins, just go with the regular version.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

The only difference is the packaging. The LE comes in a tin. I picked it up for 12.99 at BB once (don't know why it was marked so low), but if you aren't looking to collect the tins, just go with the regular version.

Ryan Belfast

Stunt Coordinator
I have a lovley region 2 ltd box set containing Halloween 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7.

Part 3 is anamorphic widescreen and in 5.1 digital along with commentary.

that alone was worth the £40.00

Lovley coverart.

here is a link.

Halloween Box Coverart

Ryan Belfast

Stunt Coordinator
I have a lovley region 2 ltd box set containing Halloween 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7.

Part 3 is anamorphic widescreen and in 5.1 digital along with commentary.

that alone was worth the £40.00

Lovley coverart.

here is a link.

Halloween Box Coverart

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Apparently in R2 it is where the rights situation is different. But as others have pointed out it's too much of a mixed bag here. It's too bad. I think there would be great potential for a SE of Halloween II including both theatrical and the vastly alternate TV cut. I'm not a big fan of III but it would be interesting to see some supplemental material (could even prove to be more interesting than the film itself) 4,5, and H20 are pretty bare. Would be good to have more. The producer's cut of part 6. Resurrection has the usual bonus features, but that installment is so godawful, nothing could save it.

How are the commentaries in the R2 set?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks