Halloween Discussions - Cemeteries..

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Oct 26, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Figured this would be a 'spooky' subject for Halloween [​IMG].

Something I've always wondered why driving through the huge cemetery around the GSP. Why are some people buried above ground in those cryptlike buildings rather than below ground wich is the usual tradition?

I mean, what, do the families walk in and visit the corpse or something? [​IMG].

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Think its mostly money, vanity. Like the Pyramids.

PS We have a nearby cemetery (the ‘berry patch" as I like to call it), we like to walk thru. Very peaceful, tho sometimes there are a few too many crows perched way above us. Many fascinating inscriptions, interesting to imagine the lives involved. Sort of brings one down to earth after computers, etc.

One of the funniest emblems I saw on tombstones in older cemeteries was a bas relief of a hand with fingers pointed upward. I assume it meant the dear departed had gone to Heaven? [​IMG]

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    The spookiest cemetary I've been in is the one cemetary in Paris, France where Jim Morrison is buried in. They have plots that are back to back, wall to wall, they really pack em in over there. And a bunch of them are in disrepair and since alot of them are sort of mini mausoleums, you can kind of walk into them and check things out. I remember one of them whos door was broken, I walked into just to check it out and there was a gaping hole in the floor where you could not see in without a flashlight. Looked like a bottomless pit and kind of freaked me out.

Feel sorry for the poor blokes buried by Jim Morrison because the punks have left graffiti all over it, pertaining to Jim but not on his tomb.

Jay

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Above ground also makes it much easier (less expensive) if you ever need to move the grave. Rather than go through the cost of digging it up, etc.

Not that moving caskets is a normal thing, but there may be instances where it's necessary.

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino