Halloween decorating...love to hear what people do out there!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon Moore, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

So what kind of unique decorating do you guys do for Halloween. I don't know about the rest of you but I've found that in terms of decorating....Halloween has surpassed X-mas.

I'll start:

Last year I made a few styrofoam tombstones (and a guy coming out of the ground)and my big purchase was this big ass strobe light.

This year I've stepped it up a notch by increasing the tombstone count....Making a coffin that stands 6'X 3' and looks really good(total cost by doing it yourself ~$50. the nice looking but cheaply made spensers coffin is $100 CDN)...We've added 3 bats that fly in a circle when you get them in motion...a flaming cauldron is on display for guests as they walk up and a fog machine sets the atmosphere for the graveyeard(if you are doing a fog machine search the net on how to build a fog chiller...it definately adds quality to the effect by keeping the fog rolling on the ground). A few other well placed smaller strobes and flood lighting add to the creppiness of it all and blacklighting will creep out some the decorations and guests further.

Already looking to adding to it next year...a faux rod iron fence is in the works and possibly a giant spider and web...the ultimate would be a haunted walkthrough (maybe).

This is as addicting as hometheater. My wife is up for saint status by putting up with me...honestly I can't stop 'cuz it's too fun.

What do you guys do? I love to hear new ideas...there are some fantastic pages dedicated to halloween thrills and chills.

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    First off, Halloween is my all time favorite holiday! Always has been since I was a kid. It's just so much fun and it puts me in a good mood this time of year.
    I don't do anything really extravagant, for the past 5 Halloween's i've played the part of Michael Myers on my front porch for the neighborhood. They really love me, i'm a big hit every year. [​IMG]
    I really get into it too, I always make sure to stand under the porch light (with an orange pumpkin filter over it making everything glow orange) in such a manner that the shadow falls just right across my mask, I never speak even when spoken to, I move very slowly, and when I have no candy takers, I just stand their motionless until someone approaches the house, then I turn my head and look at them AND IT SCARES THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF THEM! [​IMG]. I'm pure evil, I know.
    This is a great story, the Halloween after Halloween H20 came out, I had these two teenaged girls, who were obviously a little tipsy, come up to the porch and say to me "You are so awesome! I wanna f**k you!" I'm not joking, not about something like that! Needless to say I found it rather hard to stay in charactor when I heard that. [​IMG]
    I also have John Carpenter's original score for Halloween on cd and play it on a loop on my portable cd player I have hidden in the bushes, it really heightens the effect. After I run out of candy, I turn off the porch light, go inside, climb into my lazy wear, chill out and watch horror dvd's for the rest of the night.
    I didn't do it last year though because I just felt like nobody was in the mood because of all the anthrax attacks we had. I didn't think that parent's would allow the kids to even go trick or treating, so I took the year off. I had a very nice surprise though, two people knocked on our door asking where Michael Myers was! I told them (apparently they never figured out that it was me) that he was out taking care of business. [​IMG] I thought that was so cool!
    I'll be back with a vengeance this year though.
    Sorry, I know this thread is for decorating ideas, but I just love to tell my Halloween antics. [​IMG]

3. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Keep them coming guys. Great to read these. Although, I have not had the opportunity yet to do anything myself, I absolutely love Halloween.

C. Ryan

4. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

One year, I did something similar to John's trick. I dressed myself in shoddy clothes, had black plastic garbage bags and straw sticking out of the ankles, cuffs, waist, etc etc, of the costume, and sat slumped over in a lawnchair beside the door, holding a plastic scythe. Sat as still as I could. Looked like a dummy somebody had built.

Anywho, when people would invariably comment to the candy-giver "And the scarecrow looks great!" or whatever, I'd jump up and roar. We had people literally bolt and run.

5. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

6. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

delete dupe

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Shayne, [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    That's great!

8. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Ah the old "jump out and scare the crap out of the unsuspecting"...I've always had a softspot for that.
    I came across a site that creates a talking tombstone using that stupid "Talking Douglas Fir". I think I'll be adding this to the arsenal next year cuz I'm out of time. Give it a read...Its beauty is in the simplicity but really high marks for creativity:
    http://www.deviousconcoctions.iwarp....lkingtomb.html