What's new

Halloween Again (Not The Movie) But The Dvd (1 Viewer)

GaryEA

Second Unit
Another version?

Honestly, until Mr. Chmiel provided his list (thank you sir), I wasn't sure how many editions of this film have passed my eye. I have the LE, and I'm perfectly content with that.

Between this and the re-re-released Evil Dead films (How many versions of "Army of Darkness" are out there?), my head spins.

-g

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
At the time of the release of the previous version, AB said that their negotiations with Criterion for the commentary were unsuccessful. Additionally, Carpenter did not want to record a new commentary. Unless one of those has changed, the new commentary track won't have John Carpenter on it.
Yes I am aware of these facts, that is why I asked if anything had changed since someone stated that they would buy the upcoming DVD just for the commentary track.
I doubted that Criterion had loosened their hold on their exclusive commentary tracks, at least towards renting them out to another specialty house.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
1)The Criterion LD has an isolated music track along
with the commentary track, a great LD.

2)In the UK, there is a strange thing going on, that the
Criterion DVD in the US R1 comes out as the Anchor Bay
UK R2, see;
The Long Good Friday
Mona Lisa
Withnail & I
Maybe Anchor Bay and Criterion has a better relationship
than we think.
(as an odd note, each of the UK discs even has better
extras than the US)

I have the 2 disc limited edition that I moved to a
slim 3 disc case. I added the 20th anv. soundtrack CD
and the local rental stores didn't mind a few bucks for
the postcards. So, I have all four postcards, both
versions of the chapter index cards for the extended
versions, I even have the key chain and little photo
booklet from the 20 anv. video tape. I even have the
chapter index cards from the original movie only DVD
discs (some show a strange picture of Curtis kissing
the man in the mask???).

So it would have to be a SUPER SPECIAL edition for me
to buy. It would have to have a LOOOONG documentary
(more than the 30 min. standard) with Carpenter and
Curtis adding a lot to what is already out there.

A good place to start is with an isolated music track,
and a branching option for the extra footage, but it
will still take a lot more than that.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
I have the Restored Limited Edition 2-disc set, but because I am a horror fan and "Halloween" is a favorite of mine, I will purchase the 25th Anniversary Special Edition next fall. I would love for it to have the commentary with John Carpenter, Debra Hill, and Jamie Lee Curtis from the 1994 Criterion LaserDisc.:)
Knowing that "Halloween 8: Resurrection" will probably hit DVD in January 2003, you would think Di$ney would re-release "Halloween 6: The Curse Of Michael Myers" and "Halloween 7" on DVD with anamorphic transfers and extras. I guess that's too much to hope for. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the H8 DVD has a non-anamorphic transfer, no extras, and sells for $40.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
From DVDFile:

Just like the living dead, you just can't keep Anchor Bay down. Perhaps the leading independent distributors of cult films on DVD, they've just updated their official website with a newly revised list of titles coming soon or in development. Highlights include such cult favorites as Dead-end Drive-In, Road Games, Night Patrol, Tobe Hooper's Spontaneous Combustion, Fear No Evil, Man Who Fell to Earth, and new multi-disc collections highlighting the work of such talents as Richard Lester, Peter Sellars and Wim Wenders. And - yep! - 2003 should see the release of yet more new editions of such classics as George Romero's Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead, and a 25th Anniversary Edition of John Carpenter's Halloween,which has already been released and re-released umpteen times. I guess there's always more blood to be squeezed from any venerable horror franchise, and check out the website for more info.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I'll admit that I'm excited about this announcement. I really don't mind repurchasing a good movie every few years when there is a significant difference in versions. I currently own the Limited Edition release and will not mind ponying up the cash in another year for the new one.

I really enjoy most of John Carpenter's commentary tracks and I'm looking forward to hearing this one.

Gregory

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
If Halloween:AE really is the super-smashing-great version that us Carpenter freaks have been waiting for, then I'll buy it. And it'd be nice if Jamie-Lee could get involved with this release, as she was conspicuous by her abscence on the LE DVD. She did do bits of that Criterion commentary, though I haven't heard it myself.

As for a Carpenter commentary, there was a movie programme on UK tv a few years ago which had Carpenter narrate certain scenes, like the opening POV steadicam shot. And he pointed out his cigarette smoke that can be seen in some shots too, so I kinda feel like I've already seen it with a Carpenter commentary. Weird, huh?

PS
Regarding Army of Darkness, I think there have been five seperate R1 releases, and the latter three of these include the same content as the 2-disc LE (but split into seperate releases):

AoD: Universal barebones single disc Theatrical Version
AoD: Anchor Bay 2-disc Limited Edition
AoD: Anchor Bay single disc remastered Theatrical Version
AoD: Anchor Bay single disc Director's Cut Limited Edition
AoD: Anchor Bay single disc Director's Cut 'Bootleg version'

Any more?

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
But it didn't state that it would be a Carpenter commentary. There have been a few movies with commentaries from people other than the director or stars, The Fabulous Baker Boys being an example, having commentary by the cinematographer. But I'm not sure I would pick up another version of Halloween just for a Carpenter commentary as I have the LD.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I just wish they would give this movie a release with the original mono soundtrack encoded in PCM. The current disc has the mono, but they compressed the hell out it, The Criterion LD sounds a lot better.
They can take their DTS and DD 5.1 garbage and flush it right down the friggin crapper as far as I am concerned. How about just giving the film a proper release rather than another one of these bloated yada yada yada special limited editions.
Oh well I can see next years edition already. The same set with a "limited edition" CD single of "Don't fear the Reaper", and it will be packed in a "limited" and numbered plastic "Halloween" trick or treat bag :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks