What's new

Halloween 6-disc 30th Anniversary release (1 Viewer)

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
I wish Anchor Bay would handle the Carolco films from the early 90's, they would do a much better job than Lionsfake.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
I don't really see anything wrong with this. Aside from the mask, it's not offering anything that hasn't been released before, so it's not like you need this.

Similar with Army of Darkness. If you picked up the 2 disc LE back in 1999, it was all you ever needed to own. All the subsequent releases were just repackaging of either one of the discs from that set, I believe.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I don't know if you can count that Book of the Dead 2-pack as another release since both were available separately and there was no unique/exclusive content involved. In that case, it looks like Evil Dead and Halloween tie. I'm kind of bummed that I missed out on that lunchbox version...

I agree with Michael's statement that it's good for Anchor Bay to have Halloween and Evil Dead to exploit as cash cows since they do pay the bills and make some of AB's more obscure releases possible--Much in the same way that midnight screenings of The Rocky Horror Picture Show still keep more than a few arthouse theaters in business.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
FWIW I don't begrudge AB trying to sell Halloween and ED over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, nobody is forcing me to buy it but I still find it rather funny how many times these got a release.

As for the theory that the proceeds of these annual/semi-annual releases go to fund more obscure releases, well that's more than a bit naive to put it mildly. I'll just leave it at that.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'd say it has more to do with getting the films back on the shelf at Wal-Mart and Best Buy around Halloween time. I'm not sure how well these re-releases sell but I'm guessing there are die-hards that will buy all of them and I guess AB hopes there are a few new fans picking it up for the first time.

AB still holds the rights to several films that have yet to be released so perhaps the extra cash off this release can get up some new stuff next year.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
I'd be grateful if AB milks another Day of the Dead, this time with corrected audio. It was fixed for the Blu Ray, so a barebones Divimax correct DVD would be nice (naive as I am!). And do they still have Suspiria, Sleepaway Camp, and all those other botched titles

Real Name
Jason
Have you seen the a Dario Argento film. Suspira, Creepers, and especially Tenebre. Those are great horror and scary movies that have influenced all the great directors. Especially William Friedkin, Romero, Taratino, Craven. I think all these guys were influenced by Argento. I recently got DVD collection with all of his best films. It definitely includes all the ones I mentioned and like two or three more

YouTube - Phenomena Trailer

YouTube - Tenebrae Trailer

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

The film has been done for several years now but apparently it's finally legally cleared to be shown. Rumors state a small theatrical release but I'm going to guess that it's going straight to DVD.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
What, no Deep Red love? :D

I agree his stuff is worth a look for horror fans. My fav is Suspira. I saw Phenomena/Creepers for the first time last year and thought it was pretty good. Has many great scenes. The opening scene is really well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks