Halloween 4 - which DVD(s) have the superior 5.1 track?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John H Ross, Aug 23, 2006.

1. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

I tried to post this in the Halloween 4 divimax thread but it appears to be locked so I'm starting a new thread. It's kind of a new topic anyway so here goes.

Calling all Halloween 4 fans... I'm trying to figure out which version(s) of this movie have the original (superior) 5.1 mix as opposed to the new mix with missing sound effects (e.g. the door buzzer at the hospital). There appears to be four DVD releases:

1. Original version. Non-anamorphic. No extras.
    Released July 20, 1999
    [​IMG]

2. Second version. Anamorphic (apparently). Includes "Halloween 4: Final Cut" documentary.
    Released October 9, 2001
    [​IMG]

3. Third version. Anamorphic. Limited edition tin. Includes "Halloween 4: Final Cut" documentary.
    Released October 1, 2005
    [​IMG]

4. Divimax Edition. Anamorphic. Includes "Halloween 4: Final Cut" documentary + cast/crew commentaries, etc.
    Released July 25, 2006
    [​IMG]

Okay, I'm pretty sure release 1 contains the superior 5.1 mix while releases 3 and 4 are weaker. But what about release 2? Does anybody have that one? Does it really have the older 5.1 mix AND an anamorphic transfer?

Desperate to know! Thanks! :)

John

Donald Pleasance - Ellie Cornell - Danielle Harris - YOU ROCK!!! :)

2. Jonathon M

Jonathon M Stunt Coordinator

Jonathon
    the dvd included within the tin was (as were all limited edition tin releases) released seperately at the same time IIRC. that might be version #2...

3. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

According to Amazon's website the second release was out 4 years before the tin but the content appears to be the same so it MIGHT be exactly the same disc. Does anybody know if these 2 discs are exactly the same (i.e. releases 2 and 3 as above)?

Thanks,

John

4. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland

Amazon's release dates are FREQUENTLY wrong, based on when they take something "off the shelves" and then make it available again. Yes, the tin did indeed come out at the same time as #2, and the disc is identical.

5. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Nuts. Okay, thanks for that. In that case the only version with the complete 5.1 mix is the non-anamorphic version which I sold and will now have to re-buy. Grrrrrrrrrr.

John

6. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

The tin and the first anamorphic version were released at the same time in 2000 or 2001.

Tell me what to listen for and I'll pop it in and check.

7. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Hi Darren! Well the first soundtrack alteration comes when the two ambulance people arrive at the hospital to pick up Myers, right at the start of the movie. The bloke inside the hospital presses a button on his desk to let them in. On the first 5.1 track you can hear a loud buzzer sound at this point. On the second 5.1 track you can't. Please let me know what your version does (and which version you've checked). Thanks!

John

8. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

I have owned all of them. The 5.1 tracks on discs 2, 3, and 4 are identical (in fact, discs 2 and 3 are identical in every respect). This 5.1 track is also being used for the HD version on Monsters HD. The track on the first, non-anamorphic disc is the only different one, which stays more faithful to the original Ultra*Stereo mix.

-Lyle J.P.

9. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Looks like I'll be rebuying the original disk again then. Thanks Lyle! I was most disappointed that the 2.0 track on the Divimax edition wasn't a more faithful representation of the Ultra Stereo mix, but it seems to be just the same as the 5.1 mix (in terms of content) but without the extra channels.

John

10. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

True, the 2.0 "mix" on all the anamorphic discs is just a mix-down of the 5.1 mix. It is not original in any way. I can't remember, but I think the non-anamorphic disc just had the 5.1 soundtrack, with no 2.0 option.

-Lyle J.P.