Halloween 3 is one of the most underrated movies ever!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Justin_S, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch is easily the second best film in the series, right after the original in my opinion. Hell, I like H3 so much that I consider it a horror classic! It is very original to say the least, and the film has an overwhelming sense of dread. This film is downright freaky, and I love every minute of it!

I've always liked Tom Atkins, and he is just wonderful in H3. It was great seeing him in a leading role. Dan O'Herlihy is perfect as Conal Cochran! He fits the role to a tee, and is very creepy, mysterious, and sinister.

This film's score is also superb. I like the score in this film just as much as I like the original's score. It is a very eerie score, and adds a lot to the film's feeling of dread.

Some of the deaths in this film disturbed me, and they were very creative. The kid's mask death was grotesque, and the misfire death was fucked up.

I'm sorry, but this classic is INCREDIBLY underrated! It is a wonderful horror film, and is much better than all of the other retread sequels any day. Is there anyone here who feels the same way about this gem as I do?

2. Kevin Matthews

Kevin Matthews Stunt Coordinator

You know it's funny but I remember that most people I knew back in 83 when it first came out thought it was a pretty good horror film, they just didn't think it needed the Halloween title because it wasn't really a "Halloween" film, I agree and even at the time I just called it Season Of The Witch..
    Have the soundtrack & love it.

3. rhett

rhett Supporting Actor

The soundtrack is great, John Carpenter really knows how to make a great synth score. As for the movie itself, I couldn't agree with you more Justin, this has the words cult classic written all over it. Nothing beats the TV commercial and the Silver Shamrock song in the film. Let's just hope Universal graces fans with some supplements when they release this on DVD!

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    i've been a big proponent of Halloween III for years. it is classic mid-80s cheesy horror and the Silver Shamrock music is an astounding achievement. Tom Atkins is also one of my favorite stars of terrible films (most recently in the awful Bruiser). and, in all honesty, i use terms like "cheesy" and "terrible" in good ways for these sorts of films. [​IMG]
    DJ

5. Kevin Matthews

I rather liked Bruiser, George's films always have something brewing under the surface, I liked the allegory of social masks & perceived morals.
    ...but then again apparently I am Insane & Incompetent because I have an opinion.[​IMG] (long story)

6. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    it's much safer not to think in the first place. [​IMG]
    to get back on topic: where did the snakes and insects that came out of the masks appear from? [​IMG]
    years ago, a friend and myself found an old VHS box for Halloween III on the shelf at a local video store. the text on the back was priceless! it described O'Herlihy's character as, improbably, an "ancient warlock" (or something extremely close to that). that might explain the source of the magic creatures that the masks emit.
    DJ

7. Kevin Matthews

Think what?

Happy Happy Halloween...Halloween...Halloween

Happy Happy Halloween....Silver Shamrock!

Ok Kids! It's time for the big giveaway so put on your masks & watch the magic pumpkin!

....watch.......watch...

8. Kevin Matthews

By the way wasn't this already released on DVD? Or was that one of Image's Universal titles?

9. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

10. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

The Goodtimes DVD is good, but I'd love more extras seeing how big a favorite of mine this film is. By the way, I also remember reading that O'Herlihy was an ancient warlock, and I've thought that way ever since I've read it. It explains quite a bit along with the powers of the Stonehenge rock. And the Silver Shamrock commercial is a riot! [​IMG] Also, I thought the film's homage to Invasion of the Body Snatchers was a nice touch.

11. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I agree that this is the best of all the Halloween sequels. From what I understand, the original idea Carpenter had for the Halloween series was for each film to be a differant story.
    Halloween III is a classic. It perfectly captures the creepy yet campy fleer of classic EC Horror Comics. I mean, The idea of using pieces of Stonehenge in the mask tags was simply brilliant [​IMG] A great score and great cinematography by Dean Cundey.

12. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

You can count me as a big Halloween III fan, for all the reasons you listed -- and I really like the ending. I've seen all of the Halloween movies, but this is the only one that I own.

13. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Cool, I'm really glad to see that some other people besides myself love this film greatly! [​IMG]

14. Pascal D

Pascal D Stunt Coordinator

This is one of my all-time favorite horror movie classic.
    I first saw it when i was around 10 years old at a friend's house and remember that it was so scary and very original.
    The score is so good and the cast is wonderful.I owned all Halloween score (except H20) and this is the best one (with Halloween).
    I own the first 3 Halloweens on DVD.
    I must have seen this movie at least 30-40 times and each year at Halloween ,i watch it alone at home in the middle of the night [​IMG])
    I'm glad i'm not the only one who LOVE this movie !!!

15. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Yep, I enjoyed this one too, right behind the original and H20.

16. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

I'm sorry to say, and this is coming from a huge horror fan, but I think it's crap. I watched it a few years ago, so it's not that fresh in my head. But I remember being bored most of the film, not being scared, frightened or thrilled once, the acting and story line being pretty hokey, and that ending, sheesh! There were a few cool deaths, but that was about it. A decent idea for a horror film, but I thought it was executed very poorly.
    I don't mean to troll. I just thought somebody had to be the voice of reason. I don't think people should be throwing the word classic out so willy-nilly like. [​IMG]

17. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

That film scared the hell out of me when I was younger. I was terrified by the masks... and the stonehenge angle only helped to scare me further.

I have no idea now how I was scared as such...

18. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

I forgot to say, that I really did like Carpenter's idea behind the Halloween series. Making a new one each year, with a different story line, is a great concept. It's too bad that they didn't pull it off. I'd much rather have seen something new with each outing, than for them to keep scraping the bottom of barrell for additional Michael Myers storylines.

19. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I didn't get the ending of this- he tries to get the commercial off the air but one station doesn't and the movie ends with him shouting "noooo!"
    I have to ask "so THEN what happened?"

20. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer