What's new

Halloween: 25 Years of Terror (1 Viewer)

Sandi

Auditioning
Halloween: 25 Years of Terror
Has anyone seen or heard anything about this? I found it on Imdb.com but not much info is out there about it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I believe that http://www.halloweenmovies.com/ is the official site for the documentary (and movies).

Here's the most interesting info they have
----------------------------------------------------------
Trancas International Films
presents
A Paranormal Pictures Production
In association with MasiMedia LLC and rehab 54

HALLOWEEN: 25 Years of Terror

Narrated by P.J. Soles
Running time: 84 minutes

Distributed by ANCHOR BAY ENTERTAINMENT

RELEASE DATE: TO BE ANNOUNCED

APPEARING (in alphabetical order)
Moustapha Akkad
Brian Andrews
Tom Atkins
Clive Barker
Heather Bowen
Larry Brand
J.C. Brandy
John Carl Buechler
Jeff Burr
Michael Cacciotti
John Carpenter
Nick Castle
Jennifer Cocchiara
Jason Paul Collum
Ellie Cornell
Charles Cyphers
Dean Cundey
Jamie Lee Curtis
Kim Darby
Chris Durand
Cliff Emmich
Bradford English
Dennis Etchison
John Fallon
Daniel Farrands
Gloria Gifford
C.J. Goodman
Marianne Hagan
Brad Hardin
Danielle Harris
Phillip Hendrix
Cassandra Henwood
Debra Hill
Alan Howarth
Sasha Jenson
Bianca Kajlich
Wendy Kaplan
Jeff Katz
Julie King
Kathleen Kinmont
Janice Knickrehm
Nancy Kyes
Jeffrey Landman
Brad Loree
David Margrave
Anthony Masi
Tawny Moyer
Kim Newman
Thomas Ian Nicholas
Greg Nicotero
Jodi Lyn O'Keefe
Dominique Othenin-Girard
John Ottman
Ron Paglio, Jr.
Josh Pennell
Nick Phillips
Donald Pleasence
Rick Rosenthal
Brad Schacter
Don Shanks
Marc Shapiro
Pamela Susan Shoop
P.J. Soles
Beau Starr
Garn Stephens
Paul Swearingen
Donna Tucker
Dave Vanderhoff
Tommy Lee Wallace
Mark Ward
Dick Warlock
Lance Warlock
George P. Wilbur
Joseph Wolf
Edgar Wright
Irwin Yablans
Rob Zombie

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The HALLOWEEN films (1,4,5) are being re-released next year by Anchor Bay so I'd guess this will show up then.

jeremy nolan

Auditioning
What the heck could they put into another release of halloween?? the 25th ann Divimax release is brilliant!!

#4 & 5 would be worth upgrading if they are anything like the Divimax release.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
This is the first I've heard of another release of the original Halloween. I've got the LE 2-Disc from '99 and the Divimax 2-Disc from '03. What could they add that hasn't already been added? I'm really looking forward to the Divimax releases of 4 and 5 as well as the documentary DVD. It's a shame they couldn't get them out this year.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well they could release a "divamax" transfer that actually has the proper color timing that Dean Cundey specified for the 99 transfer rather than the overly bright uncorrected version they have now, that would be nice.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I think whoever stated that "Halloween" was going to be re-issued was mistaken. But if they did, maybe we can finally get the extended television version on there via seamless branching.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I think you're mistaken, Will. There was an extended TV version with seamless branching on DVD. I think it's out of print, but I own a copy.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

No such animal exists. The TV version has only ever been released as its own disc (first as part of a 2-disc limited edition set and later as its own release). Plans to have it incorporated via seamless branching on the latest release were scrapped.

DJ

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Just a rumor at this point but I'd be willing to bet everything I own that we'll get another release. HALLOWEEN, THE EVIL DEAD, DAWN OF THE DEAD, F13.....fans will buy whatever they release. :)

Just for starters, this documentary would be a good thing to add as an extra to get people to rebuy it. There is more behind the scenes footage from the set that could be added. Another cast commentary with the supporting players would get fans to rebuy. And yep, seemless branching of the TV cut.

Nice pic there Damin. I just got done watching MANIAC and the majority of the extras, which IMO makes this the greatest DVD ever produced. I'd still buy it again if Blue Underground decided to re-release it. What else could they add to it? I'm not sure but I'd rebuy it. :)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Blue Underground produced the disc for Anchor Bay, anyway, so there's little that they would likely do with it at this point. It's also no surprise that, in the years since he directed "The Joe Spinell Story," David Gregory has become BU's main documentarian.

DJ

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

Okay, then I only have the TV version as "its own release", and can you explain to me what "incorporated via seamless branching" means? Do you mean one DVD with both the original version and TV version on it, on which you can combine the two?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Yes, seamless branching is a certain way of encoding multiple versions of a film onto one disc. When two versions of a film are presented this way, it saves space on the disc by re-using the same video data when the versions are the same. When the versions differ, it then "branches" off to a different part of the video file, and then returns to the main version again. For Halloween, this would mean that the same video data for the entire theatrical version of the film would be seen by the viewer, no matter which version is chosen. However, when the TV version is chosen, the disc would jump to that footage, and then jump back to appropriate point in the video of the theatrical version again.

This process referred to as "seamless," because once the viewer chooses a certain version of the film, the viewer cannot tell that what is being shown to them is actually jumping around the video data on the disc. For Halloween, the viewer would not be able to tell that the player jumps around the disc each time a TV scene is inserted. There should be no pause in the playback, nor any notation on the screen. On the other hand, there is "extended branching," in which the viewer knows that they are being shown video data that is branching off from the main presentation (example: any DVD you may have that gives you the option of pressing a button when an icon pops up at a certain moments during the movie to see behind-the-scenes footage).

A DVD can also contain two versions of a film by having completely separate video encodings done for it. This would involve no branching at all. This method can be a waste of precious disc space if the versions have enough footage in common and can be done more efficiently via seamless branching.

From a quick look at your collection, your Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition DVD is a good example of seamless branching in the way that it presents the versions of the film on one disc. If you ever pick up the Extrmee Edition release of that film, you'll see that that disc uses extended branching to present the "interactive" version that allows you to press a button on your remote when an icon comes up so you can see behind-the-scenes footage related to that moment in the film.

DJ

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I think one of the problems might be sound related, the TV scenes have mono sound only while the theatrical cut has several options...I don't know if branching between the different scenes requires that both the elements have the same sound options or not OR if it might be possible to lock a branched "TV" version to the Mono only track or how complicated that encoding would be for the DVD technicians. Looking at the seamless branched DVD's I have it strikes me that they all have exactly the same audio options between the theatrical & branched scenes.

However I don't know if that is merely a coincidence.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Why can't (or couldn't they have) remixed the sound of the TV scenes for whatever audio options the main feature has. How hard could that be?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I would assume it's because they don't have the right audio elements to create a 5.1 track for those scenes. Although I guess they could just use the center channel and have silence on the other channels for those three scenes if they had to.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
(Shrugs shoulders) I don't know, I just noticed that all of the branched DVD's I have all have the exact same audio options between them & I postulated that this might be a problem for the encoders somehow. It's just a theory.

Plus I don't think Anchor Bay has actually done a seamless branched DVD yet, have they? Maybe it's too expensive for them to expend the extra time to do the encoding.
I mean I would think SB would have been perfect for The Wicker Man but perhaps the noticable audio jump to the cut scenes would have been jarring to say the least on that film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks