Halloween 2 DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mat Kr, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Mat Kr

Mat Kr Extra

Does anyone know how many times Universal has released Halloween 2 on DVD? I want to order the Universal widescreen version online, but I want to make sure I'm ordering the correct one. Any info would be appreciated!

2. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

It was released barebones by Goodtimes as a snapper case. Then it was released by Goodtimes again, the exact same disc, in a keepcase. Both of these were non-anamorphic widescreen.

Universal then planned to release a special edition version, with deleted scenes, and a commentary. They eventually dropped this idea, and simply released a new disc, anamorphic widescreen, with the trailer.

I never upgraded to the Universal one, because the transfer on the Goodtimes release is actually quite good. Universal's asking price for the re-release was too much for me to take the plunge...

The cover of the latest release (now by Universal) is a close-up of Michael's face, with Jamie Lee's image in one of the eyes.

There has not been a P&S release on DVD. [​IMG]

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The Universal version is anamorphic. I haven't compared it to the old one yet (still have it shrinkwrapped), but I hear it looks slightly better than the Goodtimes version.

4. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

I have the goodtimes version and it does have a decent transfer. Sound could be better, but given the age and budget of the film.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah, the Goodtimes disc isn't bad. I haven't seen the transfer on the Universal disc, though.

6. Mat Kr

Mat Kr Extra

Thanks for all the replies guys! I was just confused because there is such a huge price disparity between Bestbuy ($22.99) and Deepdiscount ($9.35 w/free s/h). But since Universal released this only once, it has to be the same one. Thanks a lot!

7. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

I've owned both, and the picture on the Universal disc is better. In addition to being anamorphic, it also looks less "edgy" than the Goodtimes disc. The colors are a tiny bit more muted, but there is considerably more shadow detail. All in all, it's a worthwhile upgrade.

-Lyle J.P.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

For some reason Best Buy has a hard time taking price drops into account. I think Universal dropped the price on this disc last October, but my BB still lists the same price as yours.

9. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Doesn't the Goodtimes version also contain the soundtrack as an Easter-egg?

Jeff

10. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

get the Universal....

11. WillG

WillG Producer

I have the GoodTimes release and the trick where you can hear what is claimed to be the entire score through the succession of the scene select screens is not present on my disc. All it plays is the theme song in parts on those screens. I have the keepcase version which I believe came out sometime later after the snapper case version was released. Maybe the entire score was removed from later pressings for legal purposes or something like that. Can anyone out there shed some light on this?