What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
John Carpenter’s Halloween has been released numerous times on every home video format, so often that many have lost count. Shout! Factory’s new 4K release, though, may have finally transferred the film as close to its original theatrical release as possible.

Halloween (1978)

Released: 27 Oct 1978
Rated: R
Runtime: 91 min

Director: John Carpenter
Genre: Horror, Thriller

Cast: Donald Pleasence, Jamie Lee Curtis, Nancy Kyes, P.J. Soles
Writer(s): John Carpenter (screenplay), Debra Hill (screenplay)

Plot: Fifteen years after murdering his sister on Halloween night 1963, Michael Myers escapes from a mental hospital and returns to the small town of Haddonfield to kill again.

IMDB rating: 7.8
MetaScore: 78

Disc Information...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
But the question is ... does it look like autumn in Ohio? :D (or I guess it's Illinois?)

Last edited:
Real Name
Joe
But the question is ... does it look like autumn in Ohio? :D
Actually, no. It looks like that guy's perfect lawn in Pleasantville at the end when it switched to living color. The one who was always watering his grass. But you can see the leaves they spread around for effect plain as day also. You could probably count them if you so desired.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Quick correction to the review. The SD elements are not "upscaled" but are mastered to disc as 480i assets. The upscaling (to Full HD or UHD) will be done by your player.

-greg

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Quick correction to the review. The SD elements are not "upscaled" but are mastered to disc as 480i assets. The upscaling (to Full HD or UHD) will be done by your player.

-greg
No, they are upscaled at the time of authoring. These appear as 1080i regardless of player. If what you are saying was true, then the trailers and TV spots would show as 1080i as well.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I bought the Lionsgate 4K release last year and never got a chance to watch it before October ended. I’m not a big fan of horror movies so I tend to only watch that genre during October, leading up to Halloween. I’ve only ever seen Halloween once before, way back around 2003-2004. Now I don’t know if I want to even bother watching the Lionsgate release or order the new one from Shout Factory and hope it gets here before the 31st.

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The image looks fantastic but the center channel with the dialogue is at a much lower level than the surround track. Very frustrating. The mono version is fine.

John*Wells

Premium
Real Name
John
Will there be a box set with all of the films? Or are they just being released one at a time?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Will there be a box set with all of the films? Or are they just being released one at a time?
I can't speak to the future but as of now, they're individual releases. Even the $300 'set' that has each movie, records, and pins and is sold on Shout Factory's website is just everything in a shipping box and no special slipcase or anything.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Just pulled the trigger on Halloween 1 -5 4K Shout Factory releases and they should arrive tomorrow. They will be a welcome addition to my 4K library!

halloween-4k-uhd-blu-ray-840x440.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Halloween has arrived in 4K and I can not wait to watch all 5!

Halloween 1 thru 5.jpg

Has there been any news about the remaining Halloween movies getting new 4K transfers and making it to 4K Blu-ray?

Last edited:

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Forgive my ignorance, but can someone elaborate on the original color timed version on the second Blu-Ray? Does this match the look of the original theatrical release?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Forgive my ignorance, but can someone elaborate on the original color timed version on the second Blu-Ray? Does this match the look of the original theatrical release?
I've seen the movie in 35mm, but that was years ago and I won't pretend to remember exactly what the colour looked like - that was also many years after its initial release and the print may well have faded. I will say I find the bonus disc ("Original Color Timed Version") looks more the way I'd expect a film from 1978 to look than either of the 4K versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Software Testing Training
Recent bookmarks