What's new

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
The Amazon Prime print has great color, too bad the image is cropped to 2.35:1 (probably from a 35mm print). It would be great to see this and The Fall of the Roman Empire in their original aspect ratios. The cinematography is this movie's most winning feature, but the film itself is quite boring and unfunny, despite the great John Sturges' best efforts. I won't even go into its politics because that's beside the point but I imagine the premise was dated even for 1965.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Compared to the DVD, the broadcast is cropped on top, left and bottom to get 2.35. Your getting about 2.1 of the 2.76 image width. So, missing about 25%.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Blu-ray
htbr.JPG

HDNet
htb.JPG

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I actually threw away my Blu Ray copy. The PQ unwatchable as my memory of seeing it in Cinerama is still so vivid.

Paul Scrabo

Auditioning
Oh my what a wonderful score Elmer Bernstein cooked for this film. A real shame that the original recording is gone. Film so so and overlong kept afloat by Elmer Bernstein!
It's actually a better film to me now, and I get more subtle humor! The last 20 minutes are a Cinerama demo reel!!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Those prices seem to be pretty cheap for a roadshow film in 1965.
I think those prices were typical for most of the country, certainly in Houston. I paid $2.50 for most roadshows in the sixties and never paid more than that until I paid $3.00 to see That's Entertainment in 1974.

roxy1927

Second Unit
Real Name
vincent parisi
Well I see roadshow prices for things like SOM and My Fair Lady much higher but maybe that's because they were musicals. And My Fair Lady was exorbitant compared to even Music. Back then it seems 50 cents or one dollar made a big difference in terms of ticket prices.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Those prices seem to be pretty cheap for a roadshow film in 1965.
That's around what roadshow tickets cost in DC at the time, about half-again to twice the price of "regular" engagements. Roadshow tickets were actually pricey, given that those evening tickets downstairs would be over $23 in today's dollars.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That $2.85 price would be almost $24 today. And, yes, $.50 and $1 made a huge difference. $.50 in 1965 would be just over $4 today with $1 being around $8. In 1965 a ticket for most movies at my local theater was $.50 - half of my allowance for the week. The "average" ticket price in 1965 was roughly $1. I have no idea how much those roadshow tickets were around here (we had to go to Memphis, about an hour away, for a roadshow picture - they never played anywhere closer as no one had the required screens outside a few theaters in Memphis) as those were "family event" type outings and my dad covered the price.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
In Houston, I recall the price ceiling being $2.50 for most all roadshows, musical or otherwise. In 1965, my neighborhood house charged .50 f at the matinees and up to $1.25 for evening shows for general releases.

roxy1927

Second Unit
Real Name
vincent parisi
New York prices and even Jersey roadshow prices were much higher. Unless you wanted to sit in the first six rows of the orchestra or the balcony. I remember my aunt going to see MFL roadshow at the Jersey shore and it was $4.00.

Paul Scrabo

Auditioning
Wow. I just threw the Amazon Prime version up on my projector. What an amazing difference. The Olive Blu-ray is definitely a piece of garbage by comparison. The sound has also been upgraded to 5.1. Aspect ratio is 2.35:1 and not Ultra-Panavision, though. So they need to make this available for sale somewhere so we can own it.
I really want a Bu-Ray of this version!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sur