What's new

Amazon Prime Hallelujah! Hallelujah Trail is restored! (2 Viewers)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Just checking it out on my projector and this version indeed looks far better than the Olive Blu-Ray. Looks like MGM actually did a new transfer. Maybe they will now do the same with THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, another Ultra Panavision 70mm film which looks terrible on Blu-Ray.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I, too, saw it at the Warner - but how did we afford that $2.85 top price??? :) As to the Amazon Prime transfer: Well, well, well - at long last a fine transfer of The Hallelujah Trail! Great color, sharp, stereo, overture. I wonder why they did it, unless the Olive license is up next year and Kino paid for this. Not sure if it's from large format but it does seem thinner than 2.35 to my eyes. Very sharp and just lovely and it's funny that when things look as they should the movie seems better, too.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Some pics from my souvenir book from the Hollywood Warner's Cinerama 1st run.
IMG_0637_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0638_edited-2.jpg

IMG_0639.JPG
IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG
IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
1604687611499.png

Wasn't this one of those super duper roadshow flops that ran only a couple of months first run? Hope it comes out on bluray. To have seen it 10 times first run I imagine you would have had to have gone once a week. Had I been old enough during the roadshow era I would have done the same thing.

"The Hallelujah Trail" opened June 23, 1965 for it's world premiere engagement at the Hollywood Warner Cinerama Theatre and ran for 26 weeks.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Half a year isn't bad. I thought it had a much shorter run at the Capitol in NY.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
There is absolutely nothing to feel guilty about. It's a wonderful film with terrific performances from actors who were not generally known for doing comedy (Lancaster, Remick, Pleasance, Landau--and to that point Keith). Or Sturges, for that matter.

I wasn't nearly as fortunate. In my hometown of Dayton, the Cinerama theatre booked THE SOUND OF MUSIC, and it ran for over 2 1/2 effing years! Which meant that every single Cinerama film ended up playing in 35mm 2.35:1 at "normal" theatres, including TRAIL. It finally got the boot for 2001.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Then they should not have put World Premiere in the ad. It should have just said Gala Premiere which they always said about major cities that did not hold the first official performance. Can somebody produce the opening LA ad with World Premiere? Clearly PR copy is not to be trusted.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Very peculiar I must admit. No World Premiere ballyhoo which was de rigueur for roadshows. Just a Starts Tonight. Yet 7 days later the Capitol calls it a World Premiere. I am flummoxed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks