What's new

Amazon Prime Hallelujah! Hallelujah Trail is restored! (2 Viewers)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
A guilty pleasure of mine, The Hallelujah Trail is now showing in a gorgeous new HD transfer in HDnet movies. The overture is gone but I’m happy to finally see a beautiful new transfer of the film!

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
so what does it look like? Probably won't be a disk though, unless all the crap ones have sold out.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Looks fantastic. I just noticed the restored version is on Amazon Prime HD and including the overture. One of Elmer Bernstein’s best scores.
The HDnet movies version looks better. Not sure why.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looks fantastic. I just noticed the restored version is on Amazon Prime HD and including the overture. One of Elmer Bernstein’s best scores.
The HDnet movies version looks better. Not sure why.
What makes you think it’s the restored version on Amazon?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The recent Olive blu ray was a travesty. It bordered on VHS quality. Now the image is sharp and bright. It was shot in Ultra Panavison 70mm. It was shown in Cinerama.
The MGM logo at the beginning is the new logo. The overture is in black as oppose to the still photo on the Olive
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 1.44.49 AM.jpeg
blu ray release. The Olive blu ray is unwatchable. I can absolutely say it is a new master and is a vast improvement. I saw THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL in Cinerama at least 10 times when it was it its Reserved Seat engagement. I still have the program, which I purchased. It is a silly and now ,not pc. However it is a guilty pleasure and tonight on HDnet Movies, it was the first time I was finally happy with the image as well as the sound of Elmer Bernstein’s great score. I cannot say it is a restoration but a quality new master has been made.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
But is this supposed new master in the correct aspect ratio (2.76:1) or the same old cropped 2.35:1?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Wow. I just threw the Amazon Prime version up on my projector. What an amazing difference. The Olive Blu-ray is definitely a piece of garbage by comparison. The sound has also been upgraded to 5.1. Aspect ratio is 2.35:1 and not Ultra-Panavision, though. So they need to make this available for sale somewhere so we can own it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow. I just threw the Amazon Prime version up on my projector. What an amazing difference. The Olive Blu-ray is definitely a piece of garbage by comparison. The sound has also been upgraded to 5.1. Aspect ratio is 2.35:1 and not Ultra-Panavision, though. So they need to make this available for sale somewhere so we can own it.
Last night, I added it to my Amazon Prime watchlist. I didn't see a HD version for sale so is this definitely in HD? I never did buy the Olive BD because of the bad reviews.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yep it’s HD and Ken is right in that it looks like a brand-new transfer.
I'll check it out as I started to sample it last night until I saw the blackened screen for the overture and lost interest in skipping around it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for this notification. Though I think the movie has serious problems, if I'm going to watch it again, I want the image to be worth my time.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Wasn't this one of those super duper roadshow flops that ran only a couple of months first run? Hope it comes out on bluray. To have seen it 10 times first run I imagine you would have had to have gone once a week. Had I been old enough during the roadshow era I would have done the same thing.

John Skoda

Second Unit
But is this supposed new master in the correct aspect ratio (2.76:1) or the same old cropped 2.35:1?

I saw some of this on HDNet the other day too and was very surprised to see how good it looked. Looked 2.76 to me with beautiful sharpness, clarity and color. Definitely a big improvement on the Olive transfer.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Last night, I added it to my Amazon Prime watchlist. I didn't see a HD version for sale so is this definitely in HD? I never did buy the Olive BD because of the bad reviews.
The new HD master is on Prime. The awful old SD transfer is available for purchase.
I am glad I recorded it awesome HDNet Movies.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Wasn't this one of those super duper roadshow flops that ran only a couple of months first run? Hope it comes out on bluray. To have seen it 10 times first run I imagine you would have had to have gone once a week. Had I been old enough during the roadshow era I would have done the same thing.
I saw it growing up when I was in San Diego. It played for 13 weeks. I went almost every Saturday

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks