What's new

Half Life II...Valve, ummm...hello??? (1 Viewer)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Is there ANYTHING being done with this franchise other than the online shit?

Half Life came out what, 4 years ago now? Or is it 3? Can't remember. Anyhoo...usually there is at LEAST a tidbit of info on a game being worked on. H.L. set THE standard for FPS's of today with the excellent story meshed in with the great FPS gameplay.

Bought it the week it came out and, was blown away like so many other people.

So...why not one single word on it? Is it really THAT top secret? Or, is no one doing anything about it? Is it dead?

I've played Halo (dethroned H.L. IMHO) too many times to count now. Was just surfing the forum today and, this topic popped in my head.

Maybe I've missed some news on it? Personally, I don't think so since, like so many of you other guys here, I hit all the major gaming sites; daily. I don't think this info would've snuck by me.

Anyone have any tidbits on Half Life II...if there are any?

P.S. Personally, I'm MUCH more interested in Halo II or ICO II but, feel that Half Life DEFINITELY deserves it's sequel. Hell, the game ends with it insinuating a sequel.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
A good question. I almost wish they would not start serializing Half-Life with endless sequals but come out with another original game. It will be very difficult for Valve to live up to Half-Life...

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Well Valve does have Counter-Strike 2 being developed in house, along with Team Fortress 2, and rumors have it that Half-Life 2 dev has already started and/or will start soon.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Team Fortress 2?? Is that game still being worked on. Well, I guess Half-Life was only a year delayed, but isnt TF2 going on 2 years of delay?? I remember mention that it was originally planned to be released with Half-Life, but they decided to redo it as a complete stand-alone product...... Come on already.

Valve's development process could maybe use a little tweaking.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Fans of HL will be too old to enjoy the sequal at this rate. Hell, in 30-40 years my eyesight will start to fade (and lets not even talk about reflexes!).

I loved HL but I wonder if you guys feel the same about the ending:

I absolutely hated the "alien levels" at the end of the game. Not because the last boss was hard but in terms of gameplay it sucked. It went from an intelligent scripted shooter to a mindless shooter at the end. The alien levels felt like Valve just tacked them on to get the game on store shelves.

My favorite parts were fighting the marines...that was the first time I ever felt I was fighting real people. Only online gaming has been able to replicate that since.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
100% agree on the Xen levels, Camp. I think that's a fairly common opinion on Half Life.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yep, the Xen levels are where I lost interest. Never did finish the game because of it...

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Yes...when I come back to play HL, the levels where u fight them Marines are the most challenging.

My opinion on Valve's behavior on HL2 is that they believe they can still hold on to gamers as long as they keep supporting CS which is probably a gold mine for them. In other words, there is still tons of money being made...so..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks