Half life 2 vid specs

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chad Ferguson, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Just for those of you who, just like me, were completely blown away by the Half Life 2 video. They announced the specs that ran the game.
    Dell XPS, 2.8 GHz P-IV, ATI Radeon 9800 128 MB RAM. Anti-aliasing off, anisotropic filtering off. 60 FPS
    Thank you

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

ahem...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    That should mean good news for me. I've got a 2.6Ghz, and I hope to have some flavor of Radeon 9800 before HL2 ships. Any word on how much system memory they had?

Anyway, thanks for posting the info, Chad.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

To be honest, a tad less than what I was expecting.. It seemed to run great with technology that was available months ago. It will only be more accessible (cheaper) when the game finally comes out. [​IMG]

I wonder how much (if any) Hyper-Threading helps in keeping the game smooth. I can OC my 2.4 to 2.7 easy, but there's no HT with mine. [​IMG] Thanks again Chad for the info.

5. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Ask and ye shall receive, Scott. Here's what Gabe Newell himself had to say about HT:

6. Michael St. Clair

Here is a decent HT benchmarking test. Some games did benefit from HT (Q3 does at very high resolutions, Comanche does at all resolutions), some games took a performance hit.

When HT slows a game, it seems to slow it 5% or less.

You can always disable HT in your bios when playing certain games if you feel it is worth the hassle.

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Hyperthreader here as well.

Thanks for the link Michael.

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Specs sound good. I'll have something like that to play halflife 2 and doom 3 the end of the summer.

9. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Chad: any specs on the RAM used?

I'm hoping that Valve will forsake any plans for hyperthreading optimizations, which could impact code compilation during runtime, as well as taking into consideration those of us who don't own P4 CPUs (AMD, baby! [​IMG] )

60 FPS on a 2.8 GHz driven, Radeon 9800-powered PC sounds about right. RAM is inexpensive at the moment, and I expect the 9800 to become more affordable around early Fall (with HL2's shipping date tentatively set for 9/30).

10. Michael St. Clair

Right now you can get a Dell with a 2.8 HT P4, 512mb RAM, and Radeon 9800 with DVI/TV for $849 (upgradable onboard sound). XP Home OS.

Over the next two months there will most likely be various deals to get it for $700 or less. Keep an eye on the Deals page.

I can't build a system that cheap. The CPU, RAM, and video card alone would cost as much as buying the whole system.

11. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I should probably break this off into its own thread over in hardware (and will if anyone objects), but I'm looking at different flavors of Radeon 9800 Pros and I could use some advice. Would it be worth the extra lettuce to get the 256M version over the 128M? If it would provide significant performance improvements, that extra $100 (based on prices on the ATI website) would be worth it if it would mean the card remained competitive longer. Or, I could split the difference and get a 128M AIW 9800 Pro. I'm not sure I really need to play TV on my computer, but for $50 bucks, it might just be worth it. Of course, if they had a 256M AIW 9800 Pro for $50 more than the standard 256M version, that might be the way to go. I don't even know if that'll get made.

Any advice? [​IMG]

12. Michael St. Clair

13. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Thanks, Michael. That certainly makes the 128M card more attractive. It sounds like I may be able to expect a slight increase in performance in the future with the extra memory, but it's not a certainty. I guess I could look at the $100 savings I'd get with the 128Megger as going towards the card that will eventually have to replace this card anyway. Hopefully, that'll be at least a couple years off. [​IMG]

14. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

Any mention of the resolution it was running at as well as the game settings?

15. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Chad pasted the exact specs Valve gave, so there wasn't any more information. A little later, though, Gabe answered a question that may help a little:

16. Chad Ferguson

I do not believe they mentioned the amount of ram but I would say since it's so cheap, just get a gig of it. [​IMG]
    As for the res, it was some kind of a weird one due to the type of screen they used. The forum posted above basically has all the answer expect for the ones they just aren't giving. In kinda the same news, the Sven Co-op mod has started working on HL 2 I believe. The fact that Mod makers get the dev pack before the game is released is a great sign!
    Thank you

17. Greg_S_H

Greg
    A couple of questions there, then. Can you get memory in 1 gig increments? And, what kind of memory am I looking for for gaming? I don't know nothing about SDRAM, PC-100, or any of that stuff.

18. Michael St. Clair

Greg,

The increment amounts and speed of memory depends on your motherboard, check your motherboard manual.

19. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I have a Athlon XP1700+ right now (1.4 ghz or so), with 256 megs of ram and a GeForce 2. I hope to upgrade to a 9700 Pro at the same time the game is released, whenever that happens to be. If I can get it to run at 30-40 fps with most details on at 1024x768, or even just 800x600, I'd be happy.

Brian

20. Chad Ferguson

As stated in half life.net forum, the min specs are a p3 800 (not sure what AMD equalivant is) and TNT 3d card.(Directx 6 card) There are two modes in which you can play it. One is you set the settings yourself and the other is it scales the graphics to a higher or lower setting on the fly. By the sounds of it, anyone can play it.
    As for Ram, I plan on buying 2 512 sticks and as for speed of the ram, all I know if that you should find out your bus speed, and the lower the level Cas, the better. I see new ram chips with covers made to help keep it cool but I have never heard of over heating ram. I always figured if that happened, your motherboard must nearly be frying itself.
    Thanks