Half Life 2: Lost Coast - Sweet!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RAF, Nov 6, 2005.

1. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I guess that most of you with Half-Life 2 have already downloaded the Lost Coast Module, right? If not, you really should take a look at it. It's not that big of a game (about 15 minutes to complete the mission, if that) and doesn't pretend to be an extensive game. The whole point was to show off some of the newer graphic technologies being used by Valve, etc. in future games. And the "commentary" feature of Lost Coast was well worth the experience, in my book.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've seen a lot of "static" about how disappointing this new release was (too short, not too challenging, etc.) but those people miss the point. It was a demo and as such, does a nice job of showing how good and detailed PC graphics have become.

And the price is right for HL2 owners!

[​IMG]

2. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

At first I found some of the effects, such as the "wet" reflections off the rocks to be pretty hokey, but most of it was really cool. The whole implementation of your "eyes" adjusting to light was the most impressive, and I was impressed by the shaders that affected light based on the material that it was coming through. I turned on the commentary when I played through the second time, and learned some stuff about programming and scripting that was also cool. Considering that it's a free download, a tech demo on several levels, and interactive, I can't see why people would complain all that much.

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

My thoughts exactly.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    windows only? i'm gonna go check it out, i love single player missions. anyone ever play the "they hunger" series for half-life? made the game into a zombie shooter, but was REALLY creepy. same guy who did the USS deathstar mod for half-life.

CJ