Half.com should be called Half-a - -.com

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Dick

Dick Producer

May 22, 1999
    Some fine laser disc and DVD titles to be had here, but I am ordering nothing for this HUGE reason: You can't ask the seller of any video item a question about the product before buying. You can ask a seller of computers or stereos or most anything else a question, but not of book, music or video sellers. Why is this? I sent two emails complaining of this because I saw a laser disc of the 1942 Sabu JUNGLE BOOK up for sale cheap, but I needed to know what label released it. The Embassy version is awful, but the Hallmark version is pretty decent. If this was eBay, I could ask the seller of ANYTHING a question. Here, you takes yer chances, friends. Very little info. about any video is available, so you don't know if it's an original or a remaster, a CAV or CLV, etc. The response to both of my emails? A form letter saying they'd look into fixing the problem with their web site...! No answer to my question. This outfit may be a boon for buyers of electronics, but for the video collector, it's nowhere. By the way...anyone out there have a Hallmark edition of JUNGLE BOOK on laser for sale?
  2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Oct 2, 1998
    No, I don't have a copy - they seem to be quite rare. If you know the catalog title (often listed in IMDB, but it doesn't list everything and it's sometimes wrong), that's a big help. However, as you well know, what's listed ain't necessarily what's being offered. The seller's short description should say this but often doesn't.
    I agree about the need to be able to contact the seller; I have rejected many potential purchases simply because I needed to ask a question and couldn't. This is especially important in laser disc, less so in dvd. I don't think the Half people (now owned by Ebay) really give a rip; laser discs make up only a small portion of sales.
    My complaint is that I'd like a search that returns all laser discs listed, and only laser discs. Searching by single titles is one big pain.
    Despite the above, I have purchased a few LDs at quite excellent prices (Criterion's 1991 3-disc, all-CAV release of Citizen Kane, for one, at less than $20!).
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV
    [Edited last by alan halvorson on July 20, 2001 at 02:09 AM]
  3. Jimmy Nugent

Jimmy Nugent Stunt Coordinator

Jul 6, 2000
    What a coincidence! I bought a copy of Criterion's 1991 3-disc, all-CAV release of Citizen Kane from you for $40!
    HEY!- WHAT THE...?! [​IMG]
    Jimmy Nugent
  4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Aug 17, 1998
  5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Dec 9, 2000
    I've been having lots of problems lately with Half.com. If fact I have been waiting for over a month for an item. From now I will be buying new from reputable stores.
    -Andre F
    -= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-