What's new

Halcro DM58 Monoblocks and Levinson added (1 Viewer)

Hi all, I have recently added lots of new gear, namely Halcro Dm58 Monoblocks and Mark levinson 380S Pre-amp specifically for 2 chn.
The Levinson is simply the best pre-amp I have ever tested/owned. Not only sonically but the build and also of importance, it has a unity gain which allows pass through of Surround processor to co-exist in harmony.
I just added a pair of the very cool Halcro DM58 monblocks.
I have a slight buzz(ground loop) or something which i am working on but from what I have heard, they portray a different image in sound then the Mark levinson...the mids are much less forward the the 336 I had..since I only had then for a little while and still have the buzz, I won't do a critial listening test till that's resolved ..understandably...
if interested, click on the link below to view some recent pics of my HT web page !
------------------
------------------
Thanks.....Matt Nalbandian
websign1.jpg
[email protected]
Matt's HT web page

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Matt,
Wow! Great collection of toys!
I saw mention on your page that you'd tried the Granite Audio interconnects. Have you tried the Granite Audio power cords as well? Their 470 power cord surprised the heck out of me--turned me from a "What the hell do the last three feet of power run matter" to a dyed-in-the-wool tweaker. :)
Enjoy!
M

Joshua Marks

Auditioning
Matt,
I worked at a store where we carried the Halcro amps and they do need a VERY long break in period. IMHO I would say 200-300 hours to get them to produce their best sound. The 380s is an absolutely unreal piece which I also happen to own; 380s,39, 331 is my system for music. I have a friend with the reference pre-amp and 33's driving X1's with the latest x-over and have yet to ever hear anything close to it and doubt I ever will but you have a really killer system dude.
Enjoy

I have to admit thgat the granites are sweet cables, I have not tried the power cords..
The Halcro are sweet, the have incrdible sound stage.. fixed the buzz, had to cheat the 380S and the DAC as well as the halcros..I cannot believe the depth and depth in "blacks" of these amps..
I love the combo with the 380S..!!
thanks guys..Matt
------------------
------------------
websign2.jpg
[email protected]
Matt's HT web page

KeithR

Second Unit
Just a note Matt that you have a great site, with great pictures! I have had your site bookmarked for quite awhile, when people want ot know what I aim for. I like that you are a 2 ch. minded first person...some people get so caught up in surround sound. I am working on my reference 2 ch. system, but am going tubes most likely. Still workin out the detailes. Am surprised you got rid of the 336, as they Lev. seems to be a good match for the Watt/Puppies. Let us know how the Halcros sound better---very clean setup btw. I have heard good things about these monos.
I also heard Spectral with Watt/Puppies, and while unbelievably accurate, they seemed stale. The Levinson setup was much better.
Good luck!
Keith

KeithR, thanks for the nice comments, I had spoken to lots of folks/owners of the Halcros and some of them even had Mark Levinson 33H and 33s. In all cases they mentioned that the halcro's were smoother and have blacker blacks especially in the the mids, and an additional -24db of niosefloor you got with the halcros compared to the levinson.
And I can attestify to this in the little time I had played with them.
Today I am in Chicago, trying to get home with this horrific situation we are all experiencing...
------------------
------------------
websign2.jpg
[email protected]
Matt's HT web page

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks