1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Hal Hartley

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Moon, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Where are all the Hal Hartley films on DVD? I saw an old copy of Trust I had sitting around my house and decided to watch it. Forgot how much I liked this mans movies.
    Any clues as to when we might be seeing his films on DVD? Films like Trust, Amateur, and Henry Fool?

2. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Trust might be either an MGM or, more likely, a Paramount release. Simple Men is a Fine Line release and New Line has little desire -- don't ask me why -- to put out much of their Fine Line catalog titles. Henry Fool is a Sony Classics film and it's anyone's guess why this isn't out yet, but it should arrive eventually.

I like 'em all.

3. Angsty

Angsty Stunt Coordinator

I'll add by vote for The Unbelievable Truth, my first I-don't-know-just-pick-one movie experience with Hal Hartley.

Angela

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

My favorites would be Flirt and Amateur.

Both good reasons to keep my VCR.

5. Winston Smith

Winston Smith Auditioning

Surviving Desire is available on dvd. It comes with two other Hal Hartley shorts, Theory of Achievement and... uh, i don't remember. Sorry.

Anyway, from what i remember the picture isn't the greatest, but the films themselves are excellent. The dvd is available for a good price too.

6. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

AMBITION is the other short on SURVIVING DESIRE.

THE BOOK OF LIFE is also out on DVD, as is the aforementioned THE UNBELIEVABLE TRUTH and his latest(unfortunate) NO SUCH THING.

7. Mark Cappelletty

Flirt and Amateur are both Sony titles; they've been gradually releasing all of their back catalogue so I'd expect these at some point. Why Henry Fool -- which was the only one of the three Sony Classics pictures to be released after DVDs came about -- is still MIA is confusing at best.

8. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

Can't remember who released FLIRT, but AMATEUR is definitively a Miramax release.

9. Mark Cappelletty

Amateur is a Sony release. I have it on VHS.

"TGC in association with American Playhouse Theatrical Films, La Sept Cinema and Channel Four Films present a Zenith/True Fiction Pictures Production"

Released by Sony Pictures Classics.

The Unbelievable Truth is the only Miramax release and Anchor Bay released it on DVD a couple of years ago.