Hairline scratch on TV screen - Can I get it out?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Zach Foster, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Zach Foster

Zach Foster Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I've got a 27 inch flat-screen RCA television, and recently I noticed a hairline scratch near the middle-left of the screen. It is not prominent enough to alter normal viewing, but as we all know, once we know it's there we always seem to notice it. The scratch is about the size of a needle point and about an inch long. My question is, does anyone know of any way I can remove it, without hurting the screen more, or is it just something I will have to "suffer" with? Thanks in advance!

2. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

There is an antiglare coating on that glass ... most likely, that's what you scratched off. I don't think there's any way to fix that without making it worse.

Sorry, we can only hope that you'll block this traumatic experience from your memory and forget to notice it.[​IMG]

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I know that the brass polish Brasso works great on scratches on watch-glass, but I've never tried it on a TV screen and would strongly advise you to proceed with caution!

4. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch glass is usually some sort of mineral crystal, so you can fix a scratch with brasso because you're essentially polishing the crystal. The glass on TV screens, a) have optical coatings on them; and b) are a much softer material than watch crystal. So with brasso, which is an ABRASSIVE cleaner, you'll either take the coating off the glass or put thousands of tiny scratches on the screen or (most likely) BOTH.

JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!!

5. Zach Foster

Adam,
    Don't worry. I'm still looking for that "breakthrough" solution to my problem, but I figured that the TV Screen would be more sensitive than your typical fishtank glass (which I read on the 'Net had a method of removing scratches, lol) You told me really what I realized all along but was still hoping I'd find out otherwise. That anti-glare coating seems to be what sets the TV apart from other glassy surfaces. The last thing I would want is to turn my hairline scratch into something MUCH worse, and something a lot more noticeable. Thanks for the assistance throughout, though, because you seem to really know your television stuff!! [​IMG]

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

7. Zach Foster

Hehe, we all learned something! Watch Abrasive and TV Screens don't mix! [​IMG]

8. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Here's a thought. If you have an old tv around the house (like in the garage or basement), try to duplicate the scratch and use it as a test model. I've got an old 19" down my basement that I haven't even plugged in for a few years. If you have an old clunker you've got you may want to try different polishes, filler, cleaners on it.