What's new

"Hair" Live NBC Spring 2019 (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
With a live audience. I wonder if it's going to be a concert version of the show or the staged play. Will the first act closing number allow for nudity if the actors are "feeling" it? It's always been that way in every stage production of the show I've ever seen, but I suspect NBC's pixillators will be at the ready if any nudity happens.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yeah, how can you do "Hair" on network television when the nudity was an essential part of the play, theme, and mood. Not to mention what do you do about the lyrics from the songs, especially "Black Boys/White Boys."? Or even the title of some... "Sodomy."?!

Even if they 'sanitize' the experience, it's hard to think of many other musicals with so much consistently tunefully terrific and memorable music. "Easy to be Hard," "Hair," "Good Morning Sunshine," "Let the Sunshine In," "I Got Life," "Walking in Space," "Manchester England," "Where Do I Go?" It puts a Happy Face smile on my face just thinking about them. (And I was smiling pretty wide seeing a bunch of naked people on stage when I was 14 at this play).

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Hair without the nudity is completely pointless. What's next, sanitized versions of Rent and Spring Awakening?

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
With a live audience. I wonder if it's going to be a concert version of the show or the staged play. Will the first act closing number allow for nudity if the actors are "feeling" it? It's always been that way in every stage production of the show I've ever seen, but I suspect NBC's pixillators will be at the ready if any nudity happens.

I don't understand what the problems are that some people have with nudity on television. For reasons unknown,the brilliant film version of HAIR was devoid of nudity.Nudity is essential for HAIR.It was the first time that full frontal nudity was seen on a stage (correct me if I am wrong). The show was a revelation and almost 50 years later the music is still unforgettable. It's true, how many musicals have so many unforgettable songs in the one show?
In Australia we have full frontal nudity both male and female, on one television channel every week.The show is called ADAM LOOKING FOR EVE. It's been running for a few years. It's a European dating show in which all contestants are taken to a deserted island for several days and they have to be completely naked the entire time. This is shown at 8.30pm on one of our Government owned free-to -air channels..Nothing is hidden from the viewer. One sees male and female genitalia uncensored. We also have 3 legal nudist beaches in Sydney and until recently,there used to be an annual nude swim from our world famous Bondi beach.It attracted hundreds of participants and onlookers. There are a lot of tv series that have full frontal nudity to-day so why not with the proposed televised version of HAIR?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
In Australia we have full frontal nudity both male and female, on one television channel every week.The show is called ADAM LOOKING FOR EVE. It's been running for a few years. It's a European dating show in which all contestants are taken to a deserted island for several days and they have to be completely naked the entire time. This is shown at 8.30pm on one of our Government owned free-to -air channels..Nothing is hidden from the viewer. One sees male and female genitalia uncensored. We also have 3 legal nudist beaches in Sydney and until recently,there used to be an annual nude swim from our world famous Bondi beach.It attracted hundreds of participants and onlookers. There are a lot of tv series that have full frontal nudity to-day so why not with the proposed televised version of HAIR?
We have similar shows here on cable (not free to air) like Naked Dating and Naked & Afraid, but all the naughty bits are blurred out by the network.

As Wayne says, here in America horrific violence is common and celebrated, while full-frontal nudity will cause a major pearl-clutching, panty-bunching meltdown.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Then I guess you will never get to see the unforgettable French series (currently 3) VERSAILLES on free-to air TV like it is seen in Sydney.. Recently one of our museums had a naked night for visitors to see the exhibits.Our National Art Gallery in Sydney also recently had a night-time show of several dancers performing completely naked.The only catch was that the audience had to leave all of the clothes at the door. A naked cast with a naked audience .Every performance was sold out. The renowned NETHERLANDS DANCE THEATRE once performed an all male ballet sequence naked .That was back in the seventies. I guess we are more liberal than the USA when it comes to nudity. Perhaps there should be one version of HAIR for the USA and another for the rest of the worlld. Genitalia (both male and female) are never blurred or censored when shown on free -to -air channels after 8.30pm. Nudity should be treated as being natural rather than being something obscene.

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Everyone has 500 channels plus streaming services now, the majority of which have no restrictions on nudity. Even though I don't have children I'm glad the major broadcast networks continue to abide, for the most part, by a different standard.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I still don't get how this is going to work on broadcast.

Obviously there are going to have to be edits throughout.

At what point does it cease to be worth doing if the piece is compromised?

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Everyone has 500 channels plus streaming services now, the majority of which have no restrictions on nudity. Even though I don't have children I'm glad the major broadcast networks continue to abide, for the most part, by a different standard.

'Everyone has 500 channels".You must be joking! I don't know anyone who has access to so many channels. When I was in Shanghai,they had almost 200 channels that were free-to-air and many were in English. We only have about 20 channels which are free-to-air in Australia. I refuse to subscribe to pay channels as with so many free channels, we get to see the very best in foreign cinema and foreign television series, You also seem to have a problem with nudity on free-to-air television.What has not having children got to do with it? Today children are exposed to nudity every time they use a change room at the swimming pool or gym as well as at nudist beaches and nudist clubs. Nudity is natural and healthy.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes in America some of us with premium cable packages have 620 channels (though some are dedicated to music streaming), but the only ones you'll ever find any nudity on are they pay channels such as HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
There are 1000s and 1000s of musicals. Why must they do the same few well known ones over and over? I have seen Bye Bye Birdie etc. a thousand times as has every high school student.

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
'Everyone has 500 channels".You must be joking! I don't know anyone who has access to so many channels. When I was in Shanghai,they had almost 200 channels that were free-to-air and many were in English. We only have about 20 channels which are free-to-air in Australia. I refuse to subscribe to pay channels as with so many free channels, we get to see the very best in foreign cinema and foreign television series, You also seem to have a problem with nudity on free-to-air television.What has not having children got to do with it? Today children are exposed to nudity every time they use a change room at the swimming pool or gym as well as at nudist beaches and nudist clubs. Nudity is natural and healthy.

The overwhelming majority of children do not go to nudist beaches or nudist club, especially in the United States. And for the record, I don't have a problem with nudity, but I also do not have a problem with the broadcast networks' restrictions on it. I wish they were equally concerned over depictions of violence.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
And for the record, I don't have a problem with nudity, but I also do not have a problem with the broadcast networks' restrictions on it. I wish they were equally concerned over depictions of violence.
Yeah, I have no problem with watching violence or nudity (though I can certainly understand that not everyone feels that way) but I don't understand why networks don't have a problem with showing a severed head and yet won't show a nude butt. I guess I hate the hypocrisy of it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I have no problem with watching violence or nudity (though I can certainly understand that not everyone feels that way) but I don't understand why networks don't have a problem with showing a severed head and yet won't show a nude butt. I guess I hate the hypocrisy of it.
Because nudity will generate a barge-load of complaints to the FCC, but violence will garner nary a peep in comparison.

Just look at the response to Janet Jackson's half-second nipple slip at the SB halftime show. Over 540,000 complaints to the FCC.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
There are 1000s and 1000s of musicals. Why must they do the same few well known ones over and over? I have seen Bye Bye Birdie etc. a thousand times as has every high school student.

I totally agree with you.Great as it was, BYE BYE BIRDIE has already been re-made for television. I would love to see CARNIVAL live or even made as a film. Unforgettable music.I only have a NYC concert version on dvd. IRMA LA DOUCE is another fantastic musical that has never been filmed (as a musical).ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY was fantastic when I saw it on Broadway during it's original season.It has never been filmed. HAIR great as it was , has already been done to death on stage.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Because nudity will generate a barge-load of complaints to the FCC, but violence will garner nary a peep in comparison.

Just look at the response to Janet Jackson's half-second nipple slip at the SB halftime show. Over 540,000 complaints to the FCC.

What is wrong with showing a nipple on television? We all have 2 of them. Females can go topless on most Sydney beaches and no -one will complain as you will not be breaking any law. Maybe nudity laws need to be up-dated in the USA which are so very far behind the rest of the world. The USA was the only country to classify CALL ME BY YOUR NAME as a restricted film. In Australia anyone of any age could see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks