HaHA! Someone in Hollywood agrees with me!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kleist, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

From an interview with the FX director for Superman 4 from Superman Cinema-http://www.deceptions.net/superman/superman4/s4_production/special_effects/ellenshaw_interview2/page1.htm
    Q3. Did you consider using yellow screen sodium vapour traveling matte work [from your Disney roots] to remove the problem of matting superman's blue tights?
    A. Absolutely it was considered. Two big limitations prevented us:
    Reason #1: The widest lens available for the sodium camera is a 40mm, which is pretty long actually. This is because wider focal length lenses don't fit. They hit the prism that is placed right behind the lens mount.
    Reason #2: There were no anamorphic lenses for the sodium camera, so it meant we would have to shoot Super35, which yields a pathetically small negative area for 2.40:1 [the aspect ratio for all the SUPERMAN movies]. Especially considering you have to dupe the shots because they are opticals.

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Considering how pathetically bad all the effects in Superman IV are, they would have been better off doing ANYTHING other than what was done.

3. Jeff Kleist

Peter, read the interview to find out why they sucked so hard.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Thanks for the link! The interviewer was being very kind when he used the word "inconsistent" as regards to the effects. Interesting interview - I love the description of the sneak preview screening. [​IMG]

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Between improvements in film stocks and advances in digital compositing, the problems he is talking about have been significantly reduced in recent years.

Regards,

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Ken: Elliminated, even. If I had a significantly better processing power and a storage server, I could produce better wire removal and compositing work. Composite the foreground action with the background plates in After Effects or similiar, Convert the scenes into photoshop filmstrips, edit out the wires, do basic color correction, convert back to video footage, edit in Premiere and print out to film. Although I doubt you could reach 35mm quality with anything off-the-shelf or find the time to do an entire full-length feature this way. But it's the kind of thing ILM does in their sleep now...

7. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Congratulations... And so what? 99% of all people still disagree with you, and super-35 still have advantages over anamorphic, with improved depth of field as maybe the most prominent. Sorry, I don't get the point... [​IMG]

8. Jeff Kleist

Damnit, I'm having my moment of triumph here, and you people still have to go and ruin it.

My official stance remains:

If you want to shoot Super35, shoot 1.85:1 so you don't needlessly waste your negative and reduce theatrical quality

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Super-35 is best when the film needs a gritty look to it (T-2, Fight Club, The Abyss, The Matrix) or if there is a ton of CG work to be put in.
    Also, S-35 looks better when used with digital color grading (O Brother Where Art Thou, LOTR).
    It also depends on film stocks (Super-35 can look like anamorphic with today's technology), too.
    The main reason why Super-35 is used now is because you can do deep focus and a lot of things Panavision can't...
    Actually, instead of Super-35, 65mm or Vistavision should be used. If a filmmaker just conserve film by half, you get twice the picture with 70mm. [​IMG]
    I think The Fellowship of the Ring would have looked great in 70mm...

10. Jeff Kleist

There you go, maybe I should change my motto to
    If you insist on not shooting anamorphic, shoot 65mm instead [​IMG]

11. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

12. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

13. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

14. Jeff Kleist

Theo
    My specific complaint is using it to shoot 2.35:1 films, not 1.85:1 and below [​IMG]

15. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Okay. It's just that in the midst of our discussions as to whether or not Buffy is widescreen you've pointed out that 'this is the reason I hate Super35', referring to it's multiple aspect ratios and so forth. If you reduced it now to an objection to 2.35:1 that's possibly more sane. Given the grain I saw in the cinema on Harry Potter I can understand your point at times.[​IMG]

16. Jeff Kleist

Harry Potter is my poster child for the cause [​IMG]