What's new

Haggling for better price...help needed. (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
All I read about is how soemone talked someone else down on the price of a tv. I am getting a new set in a month and am looking for haggling tips. Was gonna get the 46in Mits. I already talked the guy down $100 on the stand for it, but what are some tips for talking him down on the set?

I think this would be a good thread for anyone looking for a TV.

Find the best delivered price you can online. Use that as the starting point. I'm not sure what a 46" Mits goes for, but your best and final offer should be no more than 10% (including tax and delivery) over the online price, and articulate that you're prepared to buy on the spot. Don't forget to research your desired model so you sound like you know what you're talking about. Good luck.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Sean, the average B&M retailer has about a 20-25% margin on the average television. If you check their price is already marked down from the MSRP of the manufacturer. You can probably realistically expect to get the TV about 10% over cost usually (if you drive a hard bargain), except under special circumstances. Hope this helps you figure it out.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Make sure you discuss price face to face. List other local B&Ms which will deal on price and tell them you will take your business elsewhere. Set a firm price on what you want to pay and negociate around that price.

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Bets advice is be friendly and make sure they know you want t buy from THEM. Go to the internet and get the lowest price you can find on your set. Then go back and tell the guy that You REALLY want to buy from them BUT can get a better deal elsewhere.

Friendly, smile, be a buddy! DON'T come off like you want to make a deal. Just be honest.

SanfordL

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Sean, another idea to try is to ask around at a couple of places about the store you want to buy at. I know it might sound counter-intuitive, but if you find a store that pays their sales staff a commission, then they will go closer to their cost than will the next "all our guys make $15.00 / hr." shop, and you will get a better deal. The key is to know your costs though. I got a Panasonic from a friend of mine that worked at the little shop I got it at. He gave me the store costs delivered (it was printed on the distributor's paperwork, so I know it was right,) which I promptly offered to pay $50.00 over. He got his commission, I got my brand new TV, and everyone was happy.

The key is to be friendly, but firm. If you walk into a place with cash, instead of credit, you can sometimes get a better deal if it is a small boutique type place too. The vendor has to pay some percentage of the transaction fee to American Express, Visa, etc. so if you pay them cash, they know the transaction is less expensive for them. Good luck.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Best way to negotiate is to figure out a price you are happy paying (within reason of course, not like $200 less then they get it for), but something a little over what you think they pay for it. Then stress you are willing to get it today. The MOST important thing about negotiating is being WILLING TO WALK AWAY. This is the most powerful tool you have. If they know you are hot to buy, they will not let you walk. Also, talk to the person in charge of setting the price, not the regular sales clown, but the manager or whoever he goes and talks to. Once you are willing to walk away, you have the upper hand. It's not like the guys is gonna be happy he lost out on a sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks