Hafler amps???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin_Breeze, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Just out of curiosity, could someone fill me in on these amps? They are labeled "pro" amps. Are these strictly for Djing type venues or great home amps too? namely, i am looking at the Hafler P7000 Power Amplifier, and I don't know much about it other than it retails for like $1300 and can be found for much cheaper...

2. Brad Wood

Brad Wood Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,
    I used to rep Hafler in the upper Midwest. They are definitely pro amps, but pro in the sense of driving critical listening studio monitors. I used to own a P4000 and it was a beast. I drove a pair of Tannoy System 10 DMT II's with it and it sounded amazing. I now own a fully powered M&K rig (the benefits of rep pricing) and sometimes I miss the old Hafler Tannoy combo. My only advice would be to make sure that you have adequate ventilation or fans in your rack as the Hafler P series is convection cooled and tends to run a little warm even at very low volumes. Good luck!

3. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Thanks Brad, great response! Are you at all familiar with the P7000? Its supposedly a whopping 350X2, but the one thing that threw me off was the thd of .2% which seems very high compared to other amps I have looked at. Even my HK AVR7000 has a thd of .07% I think...
    Also, when reading about the specs of the amp they don't talk about things that other high end amps talk about like the toroidal power supply etc etc...instead they mention MOSFET like a cheapo car radio advertisement would...not trying to criticize just trying to understand.

here is the info on the amp...

http://www.hafler.com/products/hafle...=3275&viewId=1

EDIT: oh and since you mentioned it, it actually has 2 built in fans...

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    In days gone by Hafler also made excellent home audio amps. It’s not hard to find them on eBay.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I don't know the specifics on this case, but here's one word of advice on looking at specs:

What's the difference on a 150wpc stereo amp between...

THD: 0.0002% @ 1kHz @ 1w, 1 channel driven, and
    THD: 0.2% @ 20-20,000Hz @ 100w , 2 channels driven

In the second case, while the distortion measurement is much higher, the amplifier is working in horrible conditions: full range, high power, both channels going, rather than one channel, fractional power, with a minimal signal in the first place.

Hafler, if I remember right, tends to rate their amps under serious load conditions.

More to the point of the thread, while I don't know the specifics on your amp, I would have no problems with using a Hafler in almost any situation. Just make sure you've got enough air for heat-loading. (Whenever I've seen them rack-mounted, they've always been at the top of the rack for some reason...)

Leo Kerr

6. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

There used to be companies that would do mods on Haflers to upgrade them. Rewiring internals etc... Used to be a cottage industry.

From that I take it that Hafler was pretty well regarded in the past as audiophile stuff.

Tim

7. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

how come everyone keeps talking about the past? Hafler still makes amps today so why arent they still considered good amps? How come you never her about them?

Still confused on whether I woulod et better sound with something from parasound, NAD, Arcam, or an older Aragon etc etc....

8. DavidLW

DavidLW Stunt Coordinator

I'm still using a Hafler D-500 and two Haflers D-200 that I purchased in kit form back in the mid 80's. Back then Hafler was an affordable way to enter into "High End". Hafler was one the best amp for the bucks (along with Adcom). The kit form saved you 100 to 200 (depending on amp) bucks and required very little work, unlike the HeathKits. My D-500 powered a pair of Accoustat 1+1 for several years and then spent several more years powering a pair of Martin Logan CLS2. When I upgraded to a Counterpoint (for the ML's) the D-500 was in storage until a couple of years ago. It's now powering the front speakers of my HT system. Still works like a charm (only had to replace a rocker switch after all these years). The D-200's were originally use as subwoofer amps. They were bridged to 400 [email protected] monoblocks. They are now un-bridged (back to stereo) and serves as rear, center and soon to be added bass shakers amps on my HT system.

I haven't followed Halfer in a while and don't know anything about their new line of amps but I've seen their older line on eBay. You can pick up a D-500 for under $350.00. It's a very affordable way to get into separates. Between my brother, friends and I, we must have built or purchased nearly a dozen Halfers amps and pre-amps in the mid 80's and early 90's. As far as I know everyone of them are still in operation today. And I believe replacement parts are still available.

9. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

The original Hafler Co. started by David Hafler in Pennsauken NJ. sold mostly home audio in both factory made and kit form along with some pro versions of their amps. The company was later sold to Rockford Corp. Tempe AZ. David Hafler passed away in 2003 , I believe . He was already a legend from his Dynaco days and some of his Erno Borbely designed stuff like the DH200, DH220 and DH500 amps are still in demand today and have taken on a cult like status.The specs on these amps are still very respectable even by todays standards. There still are many companies that mod the old Haflers , Musical Concepts, run by John Hillig has been in business for over twenty years now. John is one hell of a great guy and can really work magic on these old Haflers. Check out his website www.musicalconcepts.com , Frank Van Alstine also still mods Haflers. I owned seven Hafler amps at one time and still own three Musical Concepts modded Haflers. I have a full home theater system, but for two channel, I love my Hafler stuff. The current Hafler Co. is nothing like the original , no kits offered , no home audio. They are pretty much into the professional market. The DH200 and 220 are great amps for the DIY crowd. They are modular construction easy to take apart and just plain fun to upgrade and tinker with. I've bought some dead ones on ebay and replaced the left and right channel circuit boards with Musical Concepts PA3B boards upgraded the stock 10,000uf 75v power supply caps to 27,000uf 80v Nippon ChemiCon . Replaced the stamped steel rca jacks with gold plated and put in new gold plated binding posts. By the time I'm through the only thing original is the case and the mosfet output devices but damn it's fun and you wind up with an amp that truly sounds astonishing. My next upgrade plan is to replace the Nichicon front end capacitors with Blackgate FK caps.

10. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

Kevin ,
    To address your question the reason you don't hear about Hafler today is they have abandoned the home audio market and concentrate their efforts on the professional side. The reason people talk about Hafler in the past is that's when all their great home audio stuff was produced. If I had to choose a new amplifier today I'd probably go with Parasound. I really like their HCA1000A and HCA1500A. Great build quality , sound , cosmetics etc. I run two Parasound preamps in my home along with my vintage Hafler DH200 and DH220 amp. I sold one of my modded DH220's on ebay today for $400.00. The three remainding amps are keepers though, I have no intention of selling.

11. Nigel Hooper

Nigel Hooper Stunt Coordinator

Sound excellent and built like tanks.