What's new

Hadron Collider fires up on Wednesday (10/09/08) (1 Viewer)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
According to the Mayan calendar the world isn't supposed to end until 2012. Maybe about the time they get this thing really going. On a sadder note the people in India are really taking this serious.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Has anyone been to Google today?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joe

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
My kids came home today and said that a sizeable proportion of their classmates were firmly convinced the world would end today. In which case, why the freak were they spending what they thought would be their last few hours alive in school?

My son at the grand old age of 14 says that this is the final evidence he needed that the human race on the whole is irredeemably stupid.

EDIT: Yes, that is serious, and I feel great sympathy for the family. I cannot help wondering whether the media couldn't have given a rather less alarmist view. But on the other hand, there have been other occasions where folks have panicked when rational thought would have told them to behave rather more sensibly. Take the panic after the War of the Worlds radio broadcast for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War..._Worlds_(radio) . Seriously, if you don't know this piece of social history it's well worth taking the time to read up about it.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
As far as I understand it, in a black hole everything gets sucked in, there's seemingly no way out and time stretches out so that everything lasts an eternity.

If Switzerland did get sucked into a black hole, how would we know it had happened? ;);)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Damn! I always thought this described being at WORK. Amazing, most of us have been on the event horizon and didn't even know it. :P

Edit: Knowing that most of my adult life has been spent in a Black Hole makes the possibility of the Earth being eaten up by Black Holes formed by the Large Hardon Collider much more palatable. ;)

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Since Wednesday there have been earthquakes in Iran, Chile, Japan and Indonesia - I wonder if it's the beginning of the end?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Sucks about that Indian girl. A bit strange too -- if I knew the world was ending, I would want front row seats.

--
H

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Really, I would also hope I am not around a bunch of people yelling and screaming. That would totally ruin it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
From what I heard, it would essentially be instantaneous, so we'd all be gone before we knew it happened.

Marianne

Supporting Actor

From what I heard it would cause gradual destruction of the earth's core so we would get to know about it. :P

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
You would experience it as happening in normal time, but as you get closer and closer to the event horizon, time really would slow down gradually. Which you wouldn't notice.

BTW three blocks away from my home, four houses almost caved in when their foundation suddenly moved 9.5 inches (Amsterdam houses are built on 66' long poles) last night. They say it was caused by the excavations for the new metro tunnel going through that street.
But I wonder if that explanation is true...

Cees

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Maybe we've already been knocked into an alternate universe by the LHC. How would we know? As far as we would be concerned, our new reality would have ALWAYS been our reality. Hmmmmmm.....

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Cees - you sound like a bit of a novice in this area (like me). I have been reading Hawkins and deGrasse Tyson books back to back to quench my fascination with the universe and everything in it. Black holes, dark matter, dark energy - those subject lift the lid off everything as we know it. Even Ernest Borgnine stealing my spaceship and being destroyed near the black hole hasn't tempered my joy on the subject
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
If we are already in an alternate universe, does that mean that we will have an alternate ending?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Does the LHC have an "audio" button? Maybe we can get the creator's commentary track and figure out which version we're in. ;)

Regards,

Joe

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
No, you're in an alternative universe with an alternative ending. I've just claimed this new universe for the UK and am imposing all that is great about the UK on the rest of you - our spelling, our sensible use of words, our dentistry, our cooking ...

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Either that, or the jewel heist went wrong - were there any reports of a George Clooney look-alike in the area?

[This joke makes no sense if you haven't seen Ocean's Twelve, but I thought I'd share it with you. The sun is shining here in the UK for the first time in weeks, and it's sent us all a little crazy, I guess].

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks