What's new

Hades froze over......Wonder Years! (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
At least it's metal and will probably stay together unlike some gimmicky packages. The shag carpet Bradys was a total mistake. But Dark Shadows coffin is fairly tough!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
The only issue I would have is where exactly are you going to put this? Perhaps I'm OCD but I prefer DVD's and CD's together whenever possible. I ordered Time Life's Hank Williams release, The Complete Mother's Best Recordings which came packaged in a cheap cardboard/plastic container shaped like an antique radio. Where am I supposed to stick this thing? I wound up putting it on my fireplace mantle but I'd much rather have them in standard jewel cases where they could go with the rest of my Hank Williams CD's.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
people want their stuff all to be the same size, so it can all be stored efficiently.

fancy packaging is mostly about sticking out at the store.

so what should be done is have a standard package inside, with throw-away fluff on the outside.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
If they follow the China Beach release strategy, I imagine there will be multiple versions.

This would be the deluxe version with books, signatures, doodads, etc.

Then there would be a non-deluxe version, which has all the disc content, but in plainer packaging.
Then in a year or so, the seasons would show up in a retail environment.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
how much later did the "plain" China Beach package. Wonder Years is favorite and I was planning on getting soon after release, but I would strongly prefer a simpler more standard box.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Both the plain and deluxe sets for China Beach came out together (at different price points $199, $274) in April 2013.

The information about the release drizzled out until the final press release, so there is likely to be more information about different configurations.The retail versions came out later in the year (S1 Oct '13, S2 Jan '14, S3 May '14, and S4 is scheduled for Sept '14). They are missing two bonus discs from the full sets. I will be getting all four seasons for under $83

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Hand autographed copies of WY are now up for pre-order. $499.95.

And I'm tempted, even with that price.... 24 Hours Only! I don't like being pressured either!!

http://timelife.com/products/the-wonder-years-experience-signature-edition/?utm_source=WY_SignaturePreSale713_EM10&utm_campaign=Y14GWONUSA&utm_medium=email&&utm_content=ProdImg

WY_Sig_Ed_site_prodshot1.jpg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
Hand autographed copies of WY are now up for pre-order. $499.95.

And I'm tempted, even with that price.... 24 Hours Only! I don't like being pressured either!!
Certainly don't base a purchase on my thoughts but I don't think they'll move through 500 of them in a day. The show certainly has a fanbase but I don't think it's big enough to move through 500 copies at $500 that quickly. Personally, I'm waiting to see the cost of the locker set without autographs and the cost of the standard set (or whatever other variations they come up with) before making a decision on which to buy.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
well my my... do I feel special and what! lol

but $500 is a whole lot. Even though that offer is truly the set to have I'm going to be frugal and wait on this wonderful set at a cheaper price.

I don't need autographs even though they would make the set perfect. I actually only have a few, I have 2 from Evander Holyfield, one of a picture and another on a wedding matchbook from Holyfields manager Ken Sander's Daughters wedding in which my aunt, who worked with her at the time, was in attendance, and told him personally back in the 90s when he was still active that I was his biggest fan, so to this day I know he remembers me!! lol I'm sure that matchbook is worth a bit. The picture maybe...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
rmw650 said:
Nice offer but that is a hell of a lot of money for a complete series set, even if it is signed by the cast and crew. But again, it's up to the individual's discretion.
Yeah, it's cool that they're doing it for those interested but I don't know if there's a TV show that exists that I would pay $500 for. And I love a lot of TV shows.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
TravisR said:
Yeah, it's cool that they're doing it for those interested but I don't know if there's a TV show that exists that I would pay $500 for. And I love a lot of TV shows.
There's only one show I'd even consider paying that kind of money for. And it would have to be 100% uncut and remastered at a CBS b/w show level. Wait for it...

The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet. :D

At least with that one I'd be getting 14 seasons/435 episodes. But that's literally the only show I can think of that I'd even give a momentary thought to paying $500 for.

Gary "I'll be picking up The Wonder Years - but at a much lower price point" O.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
But that's literally the only show I can think of that I'd even give a momentary thought to paying $500 for.
Come to think of it, I must have paid more than $500 for The X-Files all together but that was 15 years ago when a great price on one season of that show was $90. And since there was about 40 or 45 individual volumes, I paid more than $500 for The Twilight Zone the first time around too.

I'm sure Trek fans have paid way more than $500 for the original series and The Next Generation.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
TravisR said:
I'm sure Trek fans have paid way more than $500 for the original series and The Next Generation.
Travis,

Most definitely in my case, although these were different series. All of the DS9 and VOY boxes I purchased were region two imports from England, France, or Germany. Some of these were $250 per box.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
regarding music - i think we are gonna have a vast array of opinions on what is important to each person.

so much so, that about the only way the studio is gonna please everyone is put it out as near to original as possible.

for some, music is not that important. for others, very important.

for most, they can probably live with some edits. but the problem is that they probably all have different choices of what they cant live without !!

another thing is just how well are the details of a show remembered by someone, assuming they arent a first time viewer ?

if it fits the scene (which more than 1 song can do), i probably wont notice.

i noticed when sam from quantum leap was dancing with a girl, because the song used stuck out like a sore thumb, when compared to the content of the show.

awhile back, i recall watching a clip on you-tube where kevin has a crush on the older girl, who starts responding back to him. and they play the song "hey good looking". that was an exceptionally good choice of song for the scene. but they could have come up with some others, as good replacements. and if i had not recently seen it, i would probably be none the wiser !!

but i think in general, that dvd releases are getting better, for no other reason than the customer has made it known that they wont buy if the release is too shoddy.

i suspect that most viewers will be happily surprised with the quality of both wonder years and wkrp.

hi gary, now i understand your slightly pessimistic attitude about the release of ozzie - in that i now realize just how much you like the show. but i suspect in the long run, you will be very pleased that sam has the reins on it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Gary OS said:
There's only one show I'd even consider paying that kind of money for. And it would have to be 100% uncut and remastered at a CBS b/w show level. Wait for it...

The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet. :D

At least with that one I'd be getting 14 seasons/435 episodes. But that's literally the only show I can think of that I'd even give a momentary thought to paying $500 for.

Gary "I'll be picking up The Wonder Years - but at a much lower price point" O.
I'm with you 100% there Gary! Even more so after seeing the horrible packaging used! They put a "premium" product in those horrid cardboard book affairs where the discs are stored in faux sleeves made by not gluing the pages in the middle! Hopefully by the time it gets a wide release the packaging will be improved!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks