1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hades froze over......Wonder Years!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ron1973, Feb 11, 2014.

1. DisneySwan1990

DisneySwan1990 Stunt Coordinator

Sagalina Hazzan
    Fox loves to bury a lot of classic TV shows and pretend like it never existed: if a season doesn't sell over a million copies, or if there's a problem with music rights clearances, or wven both, they put the show.and lock it in a coffin never to get out for many years, even if it was successful back in the day and won awards for it. Now with Batman, The Wonder Years, HSB, LA Law, Newhart, The Practice, and NYPD Blue finally breaking out of Fox's coffin graveyard, I guess this is gonna be a great year for these classic Fox-owned shows finally seeing the light of DVD's day.

2. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

See. It's a conspiracy I tell you.Jthree

3. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    The show was filmed, Steve. It was a very well done series, imho.

Gary "definitely worth a purchase for anyone interested" O.

Steve...O likes this.
  4. Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz Stunt Coordinator

Matt Kozlowski
    I did enjoy this show in it's first run, and know A LOT of people have a strong affection for it. I admittedly watched regularly during the first few seasons but I was off to college in the fall of 1990 so my regular viewing dropped off at that point. My only criticism of the show was similar to Happy Days (season 3 and beyond), That 70's Show, etc: I feel that the Wonder Years fell a little short of portraying the period accurately. To me, there was still something very late 80s, early 90s about the show that I cannot put my finger on. Hairstyles maybe? I don't know. I was born in 1972 so maybe I was just alive too close to the time period they portrayed so I'm too critical. Anyway, I'm glad that this is coming out. I probably will hold out for indvidual season releases if they decide to follow the China Beach route. I'd definitely jump on a WKRP complete series release.

BTW - the series was shot on film but was it edited on videotape like many shows of that era? I feel it has that "soft," almost-blurry videotape look to it that seems especially apparent when credits are on screen. I may be imagining that as I have not seen it in a while but that's my recollection.

5. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    Yes, the series was completed on videotape, after originating on film. But the film quality in that show also has a very videotaped look to it, kinda like Pee-Wee's Playhouse for example.

I wonder what kind of post-production editing methods they would use to make the film look like videotape, as evidenced in Pee-Wee's Playhouse and The Wonder Years? Most of the filmed shows that were edited on videotape looked like film.

6. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    People don't want to hear this. They want to whine and complain and blame the studios for "not trying hard enough".

Randy Korstick likes this.
  7. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

WKRP, yes, because only the first season (out of 4), was ever released, so there's demand there. Quantum Leap would likely fail because the whole thing has been released already, so the only people you're going to sell to are the hardcore fans that weren't happy with the first release, which wouldn't be enough to justify the cost.

Once a show has been released without the original music, it becomes extremely difficult to release it again with the music intact. You're only ever going to get the hardcore fans, and most shows need both the hardcore, and the casual fan in order to turn a profit. The Fugitive was a different story, since CBS had the rights to most of the music, they just had overly-cautious lawyers that didn't think they had the rights (at least that's my understanding). I'm almost certain that CBS took a loss on that set.

cafink, Ron1973 and Gary OS like this.
  8. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Do we know the reason why that is policy sometimes?

9. Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz Stunt Coordinator

Matt Kozlowski
    Because some artists are pretentious twats. :D Kidding.

JoeDoakes likes this.
  10. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Figures. :D

11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    That's really too bad, since it probably means we'll never see The Fugitive on blu-ray. :angry:

12. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    i doubt that this is accurate. i think what people want is the truth. if there are some songs that artists simply wont license, then it might behoove the studios to simply let us know.

13. TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05 Second Unit

Nick
    That's too bad, it means a lot of shows (most of the paramount library :cool:) will only exist as butchered versions with the original music removed. Its understandable though, most casual fans don't know and perhaps don't care about music edits or releases with syndicated episodes so they won't be bothered to re-purchase the same thing over again which, as you mentioned, makes a re-release with original music intact highly unlikely.

Does this concept also apply to releases with syndicated episodes, I hope not as I would like to see all seasons of Little House on the Prairie re-released in their original format with the uncut episodes. I am confident that Lionsgate will re-release them all but how many people who purchased the original releases will buy the re-releases?!

14. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    i dont think you need to worry about lhotp.

there were so many complaints at amazon, that i suspect most of whom might have bought, never bought the first copy.

i fall into that group. the site was literally swamped with negative reviews about edited episodes.

15. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Stunt Coordinator

John DeAngelis
    I hope Ed is next.

MarkA likes this.
  16. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

They do. They tell us the show cannot be released at this time due to music rights issues and then people complain that they aren't trying hard enough or are too greedy, like they really know all the inner workings of the studios and everything involved. The same people wouldn't want people to tell them how to do their job or that they should take less money for their job instead of being greedy so their company can be more sucessful and provide products to people at a lower cost.

Craig S, Lee Smith, Ron1973 and 2 others like this.
  17. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    not a good argument.

when an entire show is not released, it just tells us that the show is not released because there were music rights issues.

it says nothing about who is at "fault".

nor does it say anything about some songs not being able to be licensed.

however, when a show like wonder years does get released, it does tell us that the studio did a lot of work to get the rights issues resolved.

it tells us that only 10% of the issuers held out.

so now if they tell us that some songs were not able to get licensed at any cost, there is good reason to believe this.

18. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

But the studio (Fox) was not able to work out the music rights. It went to a smaller distributer: Time/Life. Who is only licensing the show for a set number of years and only for the US and only for DVD, no streaming. So the cost of licensing was considerably lower per song than what the studio would have had to pay because they would have to pay for all the above. That is the only reason this show was able to be released with 90% music intact.

19. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    I hope Time/life picks up other Fox shows now. Let's see what happens next.

20. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    i have no argument with this.