What's new

Hades froze over......Wonder Years! (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
with both shows. and if they truly got anywhere close to a 90% song title clearance, i do not think they are playing games.

having that high of a percentage deserves a release right now.

once the release is out, i suspect other music rights holders will be much more easily swayed to jump on the bandwagon.

i do not expect every single t to be crossed before a release is made.

and i at least hope the studios will continue to put some effort into making the product even more complete.

i also would not be the least surprised that it is the music rights guys contacting the studios that "maybe we can work out a deal".

and if the studios really want to show their appreciation, they will offer the updated discs or set, if too many discs at 10% over cost to those people who already bought the first set from them.

if we ever want to return to the country that we once were, employees and employers need to work together. businesses and consumers need to work together. they need to realize that helping the other guy only comes back and helps themselves in the long run.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ummm... Okay. I just don't see it shaking out that way. But as I've said before if you want to believe that then, as Brisco Darling would say, "More power to ya."

Gary "just happy we are getting this" O.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
This is probably common knowledge already, but I'll share it anyways:

Studios can try all they want, but some songs CANNOT be licensed for AT ANY PRICE. So whatever songs may be left out, will most-likely be those.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
This is one set I'll be willing to spring for. It is set about ten years earlier than when I was the age of Kevin, but it mirrored so much of my experience during the same ages (12-17) that I identified with the character more than just about any other in any fiction I've watched or read (the only thing that came close, though not as deeply, was the gang of kids in Super 8, as the time frame there is only 1-2 years off from my own). My daughter is now reaching Kevin's age in the first season and I would love to watch this series with her (ideally with each season matching her age) and then do it again with my son when he gets to that age.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Wow! This was the one series that I figured would have to have its music seriously compromised if it ever came out on DVD but from the press release (which says they've secured the rights for "virtually every song"), it seems like they're doing it as well as can be done.

I'm a little scared of what the price will be but I plan on buying this in the fall.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
TV_Fan said:
I think I better buy a few more jackets. Something surely has frozen over....Batman & The Wonder Years complete series in the same year? Dang, sure is cold in here.
Ditto! Hell has truly frozen over. Whatever we think we know about un-releasable shows on dvd is wrong :)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IntoIt said:
This is probably common knowledge already, but I'll share it anyways:

Studios can try all they want, but some songs CANNOT be licensed for AT ANY PRICE. So whatever songs may be left out, will most-likely be those.
Yeah, IIRC, Pink Floyd is one of those artists that licenses out nothing at this point, so even if Time-Life were to decide to do WKRP (which doesn't seem too farfetched now after China Beach and Wonder Years), the Dogs scene would still have to be cut in some way.

As for the Wonder Years... I never could get past the bad rerecorded theme song for the streaming versions. So, count me in for the "close to perfect" version later in the year.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Bryan^H said:
Ditto! Hell has truly frozen over. Whatever we think we know about un-releasable shows on dvd is wrong :)
Exactly. Who knows what other surprises might come our way this year (nothing can top Batman & TWY right now I think) and next year :D

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well if they cleared "virtually every song" as the press release states, then all I can say is THANK GOD Star Vista allows payment in installments!! This is a show I remember fondly from my childhood, and I too am shocked and amazed that it's finally going to see the light of day on DVD......especially so soon after the "Batman" news! It is indeed a great year for us collectors......and it's only February! ;)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Andrew Radke said:
Well if they cleared "virtually every song" as the press release states, then all I can say is THANK GOD Star Vista allows payment in installments!! This is a show I remember fondly from my childhood, and I too am shocked and amazed that it's finally going to see the light of day on DVD......especially so soon after the "Batman" news! It is indeed a great year for us collectors......and it's only February! ;)
And let's not forget a nice, (presumably) single sided release of the complete Bob Newhart show coming in a couple months.

I hate to put it this way, but it seems like all the major, easy shows have been released, and now the companies are looking for any kind of payday and "scraping the bottom of the barrel" so to speak, finally releasing difficult shows or shows that didn't seem to live up to their sales expectations 7 years ago.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
First Batman, now this. I really do wonder if a memo went around saying all physical media will cease on Jan. 1, 2015. Or if all life on earth will cease at the same time.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
..or with the decline of DVD sales and physical media, we are now entering the specialized market era (along with a fair amount of budget releases for casual fans and those who are slow adapters to streaming etc.)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i stated several times that the wonder years would be out.

the wonder years is coming out.

some posters who find me exasperating simply cant admit when they are wrong.

and i was accused of living in fairy tale land ?

even when the product will be right in front of their noses, they claim to be correct ?

let me repeat something that the studios already know - they have lots of good stuff that has already been made.

that will be enjoyable to people while there are people.

they will release it, eventually.

i am sure they have their own system of doing things, and cant release everything as quickly as some of us want.

once again some advice, sit back and enjoy all the stuff that is available. i doubt if there is even one person in all of htf that has watched everything they own, and have nothing that they want to purchase.

it is not like we have nothing to watch until some release of some show comes out.

dont sit there waiting for the kettle to boil.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I can't speak for others, but a distinction has to be made when talking about what people have or haven't predicted. For myself, when I've expressed doubt in ever seeing The Wonder Years on DVD it's always been within the context of A-L-L the songs being on the set. Any talk concerning this series and it not being released has been with that in view. So if we want to be technical then, according to reports about most (not all) of the original music being included, we still won't be getting a full NOB release. Therefore I think it behooves everyone to stop with the "I told you so" remarks. Context is always king when it comes to declarations about what will or will not be released.

Gary "I'm fine with having my 'chops busted' as long as its within the parameters of what was actually meant when comments were made" O.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
this release of wonder years puts so many holes in your previous model, that to continue to hang onto it because a few of the songs werent able to be licensed is a tremendous rationalization.

and it demonstrates to me that you are unable to abandon your system of beliefs, for whatever reason.

this sort of release gives the dvd releases a lot of clout. they now have a product to sell and just a small minority of people will make nothing.

and if they persist, they wont be in an important part of history.

so the resisters have everything to lose and nothing to gain by staying out. i think you will find a lot of the hold-outs coming back in.

and dont be surprised that the announcement of this product brings in some more licensed songs.

i am assuming that there is still a lot of work to do to create the finished product - so it is still a ways off - giving the holdouts time to come to an agreement.

let's face it - it was one thing to debate who was at fault more between the releasers and the music rights. but when 90% of the music guys agreed, there wont be a soul out there that will see the holdouts as not being too greedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks